Cloud Sync

barddzen
barddzen
Community Member

I have 3 vaults: Primary, Development, Work. However, only the Primary can sync with iCloud, all other vaults are forced to sync via some other cloud provider, i.e. DropBox.

Why am I unable to sync with a single cloud provider?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@barddzen:

Because iCloud does not support sync of multiple 1P vaults (as opposed to Dropbox, which does).

Stephen

• barddzen
    barddzen
    Community Member

I am sorry, but I don't understand how that can be. Just like on Dropbox with multiple folders for each vault, why can't the app just store multiple folders in the same way? I have other apps like iThoughts that use iCloud and Apple's own apps Pages, Numbers do the same thing.

Even my Crossfit WoD app stores multiple settings and config in iCloud.

What concept am I missing here?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @barddzen,

I do hope the post from the link Stephen gave you is helpful. I also wanted to address something else you mentioned:

I have other apps like iThoughts that use iCloud and Apple's own apps Pages, Numbers do the same thing.

Even my Crossfit WoD app stores multiple settings and config in iCloud.

It sounds like you're referring to apps that use iCloud Drive to sync files. However, the iCloud sync option in 1Password doesn't use iCloud Drive. Instead, it uses Apple's CloudKit technology, which is a different part of the iCloud service. CloudKit works extremely well for syncing 1Password data, but it doesn't provide the means to view or access your different files/folders the way iCloud Drive (or Dropbox) does. Now, that doesn't actually prevent us from adding the ability to sync secondary vaults via iCloud sync, but it does mean it would take more work on our end to make that happen. It's possible, and perhaps it's something we'll be able to do in a future version, but I can't make any promises.

You can sync all your vaults with a single cloud provider if that cloud provider is Dropbox. Unfortunately you won't be able to sync all your vaults via iCloud at this time.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but I hope this helps to answer your questions. If you have more, just let us know. And have a Happy New Year! :)

• barddzen
    barddzen
    Community Member

Appreciate the feedback, I didn't realize there were different API with iCloud and how they functioned.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @barddzen,

I'm glad we could help you understand the current situation even if it isn't ideal. When we first introduced secondary vaults the idea was it allowed people to share vaults with others. Given that iCloud can't do this and still can't support for syncing of secondary vaults in iCloud didn't make any sense. Of course many of us use vaults as a logical divide (I do) and so the sharing aspect isn't as important. It isn't to say it might not one day happen but sometimes past decisions do mean certain changes can be tougher than they would have been if starting from a clean slate.

If you don't mind Dropbox though it is a very versatile option with it's cross-platform support and ability to share between Dropbox accounts.

This discussion has been closed.