VPN blocks 1P Helper and 1P Safari Extension from working

qwyattguy
qwyattguy
Community Member

I travel a lot and have purchased VyprVPN from Goldenfrog to use at airports, coffee shops, and on other public wifi networks. The problem is that when the VPN connects and is active, clicking on the 1P Safari Extension or 1P Helper in the Menu Bar causes an error to open in Safari stating that 1P cannot connect to the application. The error goes away when I disconnect the VPN. This isn't a deal breaker in that I can still open the 1P app itself and copy the password I need. I primarily wanted to let you know about the issue, but if you have any suggestions, that would be great. Thank you.

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @qwyattguy,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

This is a known issue if the VPN is intercepting local traffic, but you should be able to resolve it by simply excluding local traffic from the VPN. More details can be found in our support article here:

Configuring a firewall or proxy on your Mac

In short, just whitelist 127.0.0.1, and you should be all set. :)

Let me know how it goes.

• qwyattguy
    qwyattguy
    Community Member

Thanks khad. Enabling the web proxy for 127.0.0.1 per your instructions fixed the issue. Thanks again.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @qwyattguy,

So glad to see that khad was able to help you configure your VPN to play nicely with 1Password. :)

We'll be here for you if you should ever need anything else. Otherwise, have a safe and happy New Year!

This discussion has been closed.