Will there be a SIMPLE way to import LastPass CSV into 1Password?

I need a simple way to import LastPass data into the WINDOWS version of 1Password... by simple I mean, I supply the CSV file and you convert....

Looking forward to an easy import

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:import-lastpass, kb:import, kb:import-lastpass

Comments

• Hi @allawrence,

If you want the most accurate import, there isn't a simple convert function. You'd need to use the script tool to convert the CSV file in the most accurate way, so that 1Password can understand the format of your CSV export file.

Our community moderator, @MrC, has been working hard with our community to improve the import/export conversion tools and to simplify it as much as possible. You can find out more about the script here and you'll want to use the Testing Bits version as it includes some changes for LastPass. There is a PDF file included to help guide you. If you have any questions, we'll be here to answer.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @allawrence ,

If only, right! I know that AgileBits wants simpler importers, to make for a simpler process, and a simpler life. But I doubt it is going to happen in 2015.

So, if you want some help getting your data converted, since this is a one-time operation, don't hesitate to ask. The process, while for Windows is a little more cumbersome than on a Mac, is actually fairly simple.

• Just to be clear, this won't always be the case, we do plan to overhaul our current import process to simplify it and support more export formats than we have now in our main 1Password programs.

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

Mike,

I understand everything you conveyed...
    I have a dump of the LastPass database in TXT and CSV format...
    There is a boatload of info in those files as it includes Logins, Notes for each Login, Secure Notes, Identities and more
    So depending on which file I use there is another bunch of questions that need to be answered.... but it appears as if it mainly wants to know the USERNAME and PASSWORD and nothing else to cover the other fields... I interpret this as nothing gets converted/imported other than USERNAME and PASSWORD...
    I have a lot of SECURE NOTES, etc outside of just login info...

"FAIRLY SIMPLE" ???? :))

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2015

@allawrence ,

If you use the LastPass converter from the converter suite, you will get ALL of your data imported. Please use the 1.08 version in Testing Bits. (see example output)

I don't know if you've had a look at the README.pdf yet. It is LONG, but that is because it is comprehensive, and creates a Step-by-Step procedure that works for people on two platforms with almost thirty different password managers, and covers all of their idiosyncrasies (such as LastPass' various (and even buggy) ways of exporting data, that depends on the browser and OS).

I'm happy to help get you converted if this feels overwhelming, and can do so in a securely, such that your confidential information remains private to you only. I've helped hundreds of users, and many even remotely. I'm here if you want help.

As you can see, the converter import 20 different category LastPass items, and generated the various 1Password categories:

$ perl convert_to_1p4.pl lastpass -v ../../_TestFiles/lastpass_export_mac.csv  --addfields
    Imported 20 items
    Exported 3 membership items
    Exported 2 server items
    Exported 1 creditcard item
    Exported 1 socialsecurity item
    Exported 1 passport item
    Exported 1 software item
    Exported 1 wireless item
    Exported 1 database item
    Exported 2 note items
    Exported 3 login items
    Exported 1 email item
    Exported 2 bankacct items
    Exported 1 driverslicense item
    Exported 20 total items
    You may now import the file /Users/MrC/Desktop/1P_import.1pif into 1Password

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

I did not know about the "converter suite".... no mention of it when I clicked File > Import...

I will check that out and get back to you...

BTW, your concern and responses are impressive... far from what I have experienced recently with a large number of password manager's support....

Al

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

Well, this whole process is really getting down into the "weeds"... grabbed the folder and now it wants me to install perl strawberry, etc...

As much as I would love to proceed it requires way too much effort (sorry to say. It might be fine for the very technical geeks but fo this OLD guy it is too much!)

I can sure use some help... as you so kindly offered

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@allawrence ,

I wish I had a simpler method for the Windows folks.

My email is at the top of the scripts - send me an email, and we'll work out the best method for you.

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

MRC,

I went back and attempted to read thru the PDF.... I approached this with an open mind and this whole PERL thing makes me rather nervous and I think I will just thank you and attempt to run the built in IMPORT....

I thank you for trying to help....!!

Al

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2015

@allawrence,

Whatever works for you is good with me.

FYI: no need to be nervous about the Perl runtime environment. You don't install it, it is just a portable download, providing a well-known, highly regarded package of Perl (a scripting language use by Unix and web developers for over 20 years). There are several packages of Perl available for Windows, but Strawberry Perl is the most lightweight, and probably the mostly highly regarded packaging. I chose Perl because it allows me to write code that is cross-platform, and the only other possible scripting language that would be available multi-platform is Javascript, and I wasn't about to write the converter suite in the clumsy Javascript language.

BTW. I wrote the first converter for my mom, so that she could convert from eWallet to 1Password, and she's no techie by any stretch.

Best of luck!
    MrC

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

Mike,

I ran the built in IMPORT function to import my LastPass CSV database.
    The process ran to a certain point and then sat there with a NOT RESPONDING message at top of the box.... remained that way for a few minutes and then indicated COMPLETION. The number of imports was correct!

A review of the imported items revealed that the IMPORT function failed to import any notes for each entry

Importing of the SECURE NOTES only resulted in the TITLE being imported and nothing else.

So, I guess 1Password is not in my future or that of a number of folks using me as a guinea pig :)
    Unless.......

Al

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

MRC,

Appreciate the reply.... I will give the PERL thing a closer look.... don't write me off just yet :) :)

Al

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@allawrence,

I want you to succeed, and know you can!

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

MRC,

Does the exported LASTPASS file need to be a TXT or CSV file????

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@allawrence,

A CSV file is a plaintext file, and the suffix of the file name is irrelevant. What matters is how you create the file, and you want to follow the directions in the README. Since LastPass can export either via the web-page's side bar items, or via the LastPass extension, and the exported results differ based on browser and method you use to export, it is difficult to give you a simple answer. Follow the README directions, paying special attention to the LastPass section 3 export instructions.

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

MRC,

OK, used the TXT file and that did not work out well... errors (a sample of repetitive errors follow):

Use of uninitialized value in string ne at Converters/Lastpass.pm line 308,
    <$io> line 857 (#1)
    Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at Converters/Lastpass.pm line
    299, <$io> line 858 (#1)
    Use of uninitialized value in string ne at Converters/Lastpass.pm line 300,
    <$io> line 858 (#1)
    Use of uninitialized value in string ne at Converters/Lastpass.pm line 305,
    <$io> line 858 (#1)
    <$io> line 858 (#1)
    Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at Converters/Lastpass.pm line
    299, <$io> line 859 (#1)
    Use of uninitialized value in string ne at Converters/Lastpass.pm line 300,
    <$io> line 859 (#1)
    Use of uninitialized value in string ne at Converters/Lastpass.pm line 305,
    <$io> line 859 (#1)
    <$io> line 859 (#1)

Should I try the CSV file?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@allawrence,

Since I have no idea how you created these files, I can't answer that question.

You SHOULD be exporting as a LastPass CSV file, using the LastPass extension, as per the README.

Sorry to belabor this, but the converter must have a known file format to work with. So I prescribe a method of export that is known to work, and not soft terminology such as CSV or TXT.

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

MRC,

SUCCESS!!!!

For some reason while importing 1P reported "Duplicate NameofTitle" for 5 titles... not sure why, will have to verify info in 1P

In your README.pdf,
    "3b. Enter the following command into Window’s Search programs and files box"
    In WINDOWS 8.1, I used RUN instead of Search.....

THANK YOU!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@allawrence,

You're the man!. Nice work and perseverance.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@allawrence ,

Following up on your implied question about duplicate titles. 1Password for Windows will notify you if the same title is present in a category when you are importing. It wouldn't be uncommon for this to happen. Also, the converter can split an entry into multiple entries, so there is some chance the same title is present.

The general advice I give is to say Yes to All to the import dialog, and No to All when the overwrite duplicate titles dialog appears.

• allawrence
    allawrence
    Community Member

Thanks...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

;) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.