New user on a Mac with 1Password 4

ronwess
ronwess
Community Member

I have setup a new user on my iMac with a shared dropbox account which is the syncing agent for 1Password. When I attempt to open 1Password on the new standard user I receive a dialog "Unable to connect to 1Password mini", not sure how to correct this issue. The mini is running on my primary user account.

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.9.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ronwess
    ronwess
    Community Member

The icon for mini running in my menu bar is the old flash light icon. The icon displayed in my browser or the dock is the new keyhole icon. How do I fix the issue?

1Password Version: 4.4.3
    Extension Version: 4.5.90
    OS Version: 10.9
    Sync Type: dropbox

• JWeaver
    JWeaver
    Community Member

Hi @ronwess

Do you have multiple copies of 1Password on your iMac? If so, that's most likely the source of the problem you're experiencing.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

@ronwess what is the result of a Spotlight search for 1Password on your Mac? (I'm wondering if you have more than one version installed.)

Edit: I have merged the two threads you started as I strongly suspect the issues you are seeing are related to the same root cause.

Stephen

• ronwess
    ronwess
    Community Member

I have only 1 copy of 1Password 4 on my startup drive. There is an older version on a backup drive.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @ronwess,

I would strongly suggest we've found part of the cause. In 1Password 4/5 we rely on OS X for launching 1Password mini at startup but we can't say launch this specific one. Instead OS X will look and launch the first one it finds. Oddly enough it doesn't seem to prioritise the /Applications/ folder when searching.

What happens if you disconnect the backup drive and then reboot your Mac? I'm not sure it will resolve everything but it may get us one step closer.

• ronwess
    ronwess
    Community Member

I rebooted with the external drive off and I was able to open 1password with the new user account, but the menu icon remains the key.
    Will I need to disconnect the external drive every I boot?
    Activity monitor shows that it is loaded from /Applications/ both before and after the disconnect.

When I setup the app on the new user the attached screen shot shows the menu icon to be the key, is that correct?

• @ronwess Thanks for the update. Do you have another copy of 1Password on your external drive? Maybe a backup or something? All you need to do is remove that copy, or disable backups for the 1Password app specifically, and you can keep the drive connected without trouble. :) If you could let us know what you're using for backups, or what the specific case is, we'd be happy to help you get things sorted out.

• ronwess
    ronwess
    Community Member

I removed an older version from a connected drive. I use CCC to make a daily clone of my startup drive which would contain 1Password.

Is the key the correct icon for 1Password 4 mini in the menu bar?

• Jacob
    edited January 2016

@ronwess Thanks for the update. Just follow this guide to exclude the 1Password app from Carbon Copy Cloner. You can keep the data backed up, just not the app. :)

Is the key the correct icon for 1Password 4 mini in the menu bar?

That's the mini icon for 1Password 4. There may be some leftovers of 1Password 3 on your computer, though. You can look for those if you'd like, or we can quickly help find it if you send us a Diagnostics Report.

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once you send the email, post back here with the BitBot confirmation number you receive a few minutes after sending. That will help us connect the dots. :)

• ronwess
    ronwess
    Community Member

support ID is [#XAM-65184-894]

• @ronwess Thanks for sending that over. We'll get back to you as soon as possible.

ref: #XAM-65184-894

This discussion has been closed.