1password 4 extension missing.

I've been reading your solutions to the missing extension 4 problem, but still not sure what to do. I have Firefox 42. A couple of weeks ago, I uploaded to Windows 10, but didn't like it and returned to Windows 7. I'm now getting this message when clicking on the icon: The address wasn't understood. Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (onepassword4-extension) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

1Password 4.4.3 still appears in the add-ons with options to remove or disable it. I don't know if Firefox got upgraded to 42 when I accepted the Windows 10 update. If I have to switch to another browser, will I need to download the free trial program again in order to get the extension into the new browser? I would prefer to stay with Firefox, but since I cant access my bank accounts without changing all the passwords, I'm willing to swtich.

A quick response would be appreciated.

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: 4
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:v3-extension-firefox

Comments

• Hi @PamDD,

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (onepassword4-extension) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

That means the main 1Password 4 for Windows program isn't installed. If the main program is installed, it will process the onepassword4-extension:\\ calls.

Please make sure you download and install the latest update here: http://agilebits.com/downloads

After installing it, restart the PC and then open the main 1Password program, unlock and make sure it has your data. Once you do, open Firefox and see if it also works now.

• PamDD
    PamDD
    Community Member

Thanks, that did work. I'm wondering why that happened since I've been using the program for the last few weeks and it wasn't until I upgraded to Windows 10 and back to 7 that it disappeared.

Also, will I eventually need to use another browser other than Firefox? Did I read that I will not be able to use it with 1Password in the near future?

• MikeT
    edited January 2016

Hi @PamDD,

it wasn't until I upgraded to Windows 10 and back to 7 that it disappeared.

I don't know what Windows did when you downgraded to 7 but it is possible it determined 1Password wasn't compatible and removed it for you. I know that had happened on Windows 10 when you upgrade to it and it would remove programs that determined to be not compatible with Windows 10. However, I haven't seen enough reports of users going back to 7 to know what it does exactly.

Also, will I eventually need to use another browser other than Firefox? Did I read that I will not be able to use it with 1Password in the near future?

No, you can keep using Firefox, there are no plans to stop supporting Firefox but there is a reasonable limit, read below for more specific info. 1Password 4 is compatible with Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari, and Internet Explorer.

I'm not sure what you read but the closest thing I can think of is that there are version compatibility limits. In this case, the legacy 1Password 1.x for Windows and its 1Password 3.x extensions cannot work in Firefox 40 or above, Firefox has removed some of the frameworks that the previous extensions needed. The newer 1Password 4 for Windows and its 1Password 4 extensions will work in all of the supported browsers that I've mentioned above. We do sometime try to provide quick fixes if possible to provide future compatibility updates.

If in the future, a new major version of 1Password comes out and after that, a new future browser version has stopped supporting the older extension version and you'd like to keep using 1Password in that browser; you may have to upgrade to the new 1Password version for that browser support. So, for an example, Firefox 70 comes out and it has deemed 1Password 4.x incompatible but there is a newer 1Password 10 extension available that is compatible, you can buy the upgrade to 1Password 10 to use it in Firefox 70. Basically, 1Password 4.x could still work even if we released 1Password 5,6,7,8,9 and so on until Firefox drops support for certain features we use.

This discussion has been closed.