How to use 1Password Helper? [not used by the beta app]

DaveVan
DaveVan
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

How do I get the Helper app running so that I can use 1Password in Chrome?

I installed the 1Password Chrome Beta from the Chrome Store

1 installed the Windows 10 Beta

When I press the 1Password extension button, it says it can not communicate with the helper....

I am also in the 1Password Teams beta if that helps

Have all the latest versions installed on both Mac and Windows

Yes -- I am a geek......

Help?

Dave

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015

Hi, @DaveVan!

If you've installed the app called "1Password Beta" from the Store app on your Windows 10 device, there's no browser integration, yet. (I say "yet" optimistically, as it's still unclear how much cross-app communication and control Windows 10 will ultimately allow.)

For now, the beta app includes an option (enabled by default, as I recall) to copy a Login item's saved password to the clipboard when you tap the globe icon.

Tapping the globe icon causes the beta app to launch your web browser and point it to the Login item's saved URL. When the corresponding page appears in the browser, you type in your username and then paste in your password.

I hope that helps, @DaveVan. Thank you for using 1Password! Please let us know if you have any other questions, or if I've misunderstood the situation.

• elyscape
    elyscape
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

@DBrown:

(I say "yet" optimistically, as it's still unclear how much cross-app communication and control Windows 10 will ultimately allow.)

I was doing some research today and discovered that Windows 10 now supports a concept called app services, which appears to be a way to allow third-party apps to interact with your app directly. While this isn't exactly browser integration, this seems like it could be leveraged to provide app-filling functionality like the 1Password iOS App Extension. Additionally, if Microsoft Edge extensions turn out to allow for interaction with WinRT (perhaps via WinJS), that could provide a foundation for 1Password for Windows Modern to eventually be able to perform browser filling even on Windows 10 Mobile.

Alternatively, LaunchUriForResultsAsync seems like it may be a promising line of inquiry, as well.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for that info, @elyscape!

I know our Dev team are keen observers of the goings-on at Microsoft World Headquarters ;) but I'll make sure they see this thread.

Happy holidays!

• elyscape
    elyscape
    Community Member

I figured as much, but I normally am as well and was surprised to discover this functionality, so I figured I might as well mention it. Thanks for passing it along!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

No problem, @elyscape, and thanks again for bringing it to our attention.

Please do stay in touch!

• Everyone is welcome to try Beta 5 that was released few moments ago with ability to open web pages in 1Browser and fill them with saved usernames/passwords ;)

• stephen_lee
    stephen_lee
    Community Member

My only Windows 10 devices are conventional laptops and desktops. I am enrolled on the 1Password for Teams beta and I am looking at the 1Password for Windows 10 beta (downloaded from the App Store) on one of these PCs. It is a shame that you cannot integrate between this app and the browser extensions that you can get for Chrome, Firefox etc on Windows. Would be nice to launch the Windows 10 app from the browser extension (as opposed to the 1Password 4 version).

It seems the 1Password for Windows 10 is the only way a Windows PC can currently participate in 1Password for Teams which is why I am so keen to use this rather than the older 1Password4 for Windows.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts on this, @stephen_lee!

Keep watching release notes for new builds, as features are being added at a pretty good pace. :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I have to say this is really disappointing that the new Windows app for 1Password cannot integrate with web browsers like Chrome. When LastPass was purchased by LogMeIn, I moved over to 1 Password but now I see LastPass just released a completely revamped and improved interface with a lot of additional functionality.

Is there any chance we will see integration with Chrome and other browsers in this new Windows version of 1 Password? The non-beta version (original desktop app) is looking extremely dated.

Thanks

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, @Jagstyles!

1Password on all the platforms we support continues to be improved, and our 1Password for Teams is showing tremendous progress in beta testing. I invite you to keep watching release notes here in the forum for new builds of 1Password for Windows 10.

• COzeroCTO
    COzeroCTO
    Community Member

I'll echo the comments made above wrt 1Password integration with Chrome on Windows10 as a non-mobile device (e.g. laptop/desktop).

Looking forward to the integration. Without it I am going to struggle to get our Windows team on board :(

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know your situation, @COzeroCTO, and for your interest in the beta app!

This discussion has been closed.