Login pages with multiple tabs - login info goes in on wrong tab

milukas
milukas
Community Member

Some companies' login pages have multiple tabs (eg, tab 1 is "create a new account" and tab 2 is "login for existing users") but both tabs have the same URL. So when I save the URL in 1Password, it later opens the page and fills in my username and password on tab 1 instead of tab 2. How can I get around this issue?

1Password Version: 5.4 Mac store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.2
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:login pages that have multiple tabs

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@milukas can you provide us (if it's not confidential) with the URL for one of those troublesome sites so that someone can test it for you? Are you saying that one identical URL automatically opens two tabs?

It would probably also be helpful if you would please tell us:

Stephen

• milukas
    milukas
    Community Member

Okay. Here's a URL that I tried to use today, though it is only one example - I've run into this problem with more than one site (I just don't remember what the others were right now). Try going to:
    https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm
    That's a US Govt Financial Aid site. When you open that site, it takes you to the first tab "Create an FSA ID." The second tab is for people who already have created one - "Edit my FSA ID" and that's where you are asked for the login info. Trouble is, the URL has not changed in clicking between the tabs, and the URL stored in 1Password always by default takes you to the first tab. Your software then sticks in the user name and password that is stored in 1Password, but it goes into the wrong boxes - because they should be going into boxes on the other tab.
    As I said, this has happened to me on at least one or two other sites; I'll try to remember them the next time I have the issue.
    Is there a solution?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@milukas the usual solution for problems like this is to re-create and save the login manually. Have you tried that?

The reason I think it might work is that the two tabs have slightly different URLs. I'm thinking that if you go to https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm#edit and then follow the procedure to which I've linked above it should create a working login for you on that site.

Stephen

• NoUserName
    NoUserName
    Community Member

I think I may have a different example of the difficulty milukas has mentioned.

Some websites have "Create Account" and 'Sign In" on the same page. Such as https://www.overstock.com/myaccount?TID=SIGNIN. I've already saved a login for this site, but 1Password defaults to entering my login and password information into the "Create Account" boxes instead of the "Sign In" boxes.

I'm using 1Password
    Version 5.4 (540046)
    Mac App Store

Bowser: Safari 9.0.2
    Extension 4.4.4

Thanks!

• milukas
    milukas
    Community Member

I've tried the link Stephen_C mentions above, but when I click on it I am taken to the same page I mentioned previously, and the "active" tab of the two tabs on the page is the "Create" tab rather than the "Login" tab.
    I am aware that I can manually copy the URL from the web and paste it into 1Password (once I've got the correct URL), but this URL doesn't work because of the two options on the page.
    Thanks also to "NoUserName" for pointing out another example. In this example, the Create and Sign In boxes are all on the same page, but when I've encountered that situation, 1Password fills in the first set of boxes going from left to right. Again, that's the wrong set of boxes.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @milukas & @NoUserName,

So we seem to have a couple of different examples here and I'd like to address both.

On sites like www.overstock.com where they include both the create and signing forms side by side you should find a Login item created from within the browser will work. I used our How to manually save a Login guide just now on that site and it correctly fills the correct fields. When you have multiple text and password fields on a page 1Password either has to know which fields are the correct ones (which it can do when the Login item is saved from inside the browser) or it has to take a guess. The problem is 1Password can get the guess wrong. As long as they don't change the page a newly created Login should continue to fill the correct fields.

The fsaid.ed.gov site is different. I used the same guide to create the Login item I used for testing and what I found was ignoring the Login item for a moment, I couldn't get the site to load the Edit My FSA ID tab be default. This does mean that open and fill won't be able to fully work here. I did find that filling with the Login item even if the Create an FSA ID tab was active still resulted in the Edit My FSA ID tab being properly filled but there is no way for 1Password to switch tabs.

So I currently don't see a way to have 1Password successfully automatically submit after filling on a site like this. I could get open and fill to open a new tab and fill the correct fields but I would have to manually switch tabs and then click the LOGIN button. In contrast, Amazon have a dedicated page for logging in which means that open and fill can load the page, fill and then submit the form and it will consistently work as it should.

So if the problem with the fsaid.ed.gov site is getting the correct fields to fill I would recommend creating a new Login item using our How to manually save a Login guide. If the issue is that you can't click on the URL and have it log you in then due to the site's design I can't see a way forward. You could edit the Login item and alter the submit option from its default value of Submit when enabled to Never submit. This would give you the opportunity to switch tabs at which point you should find the correct fields are filled and you only need to click the login button.

Does any of this help at all with these two designs they've used?

• NoUserName
    NoUserName
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables thank you for your information. With your info and a little detective work, I was able to solve my problem. I'd like to share the one thing that made the difference.

The webpage you provided (https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/) showed what to do, but I noticed that in the image on that webpage "Submit Logins" was checked in the gear's drop down menu, but was not checked on my computer's settings. Without "Submit Logins" being checked, the fix described on the webpage wouldn't work for me.

It was after two unsuccessful attempts that I noticed the checkmark difference. Once I adjusted my computer's setting to match the example, and then 1Password filled in the correct boxes on the Overstock webpage.

Thanks!

• milukas
    milukas
    Community Member

Learn something every day. I was not aware of the Manual Save Login option on the toolbar. Previously, I was "manually" savings problematic logins by creating a card for them in 1Password and then copying and pasting the URL onto the card. Apparently, the way you explained does differentiate between the tabs in a way that the URL doesn't (don't ask me how that works!).
    I tried it with the fsaid.ed.gov site and it worked. Thanks.
    As I said, I have encountered this issue with other sites. When I am next reminded of them, I'll try your solution and see if it helps. If not, I'll write again.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @NoUserName & @milukas,

I'm glad you've both reported having some success with the sites you were fighting with.

@milukas: This was how I initially used 1Password 3 because as an Opera user I didn't have access to the extension. When I moved from Opera to Safari I started using the extension but it wasn't until I first joined these very forums as a customer that I learnt about the ability to manually save from within the browser and it opened up so many sites. It was hands down the best nugget of information that I learned about :smile:

The reason why it makes such a difference is that when you instruct the extension to save a new Login it can look at the whole page and see all the fields as you've filled them in. So essentially it allows 1Password to take a kind of snapshot and then each time you fill it's recreating things as they were. When you create a new Login item from inside the main 1Password window you and I are supply usually three pieces of key information; the username, password and URL. The problem is with busy pages with lots of fields 1Password has to guess at which fields are the right one. So it's kind of comparing guessing via reconstructing? Most sites are nice and simple and so 1Password can make solid guesses and get it right. There can be a lot of benefits to the KISS approach when designing a site too so having a simple, dedicated login page isn't a bad idea. I smile at Amazon when I say that.

Of course you may very well find troublesome sites so please do contact us if you do and we'll see what we can do.

This discussion has been closed.