After trying to wifi sync, tried iCloud and got message my Mac can't connect to iCloud.

kentbaugh
kentbaugh
Community Member

I was previously unsuccessful trying wifi sync. I had just downloaded the Safari extensions before I got the error message that reads "This Mac can't connect to iCloud because of a problem with "my email address". In System Preference on Mac, the iCloud Drive box is checked. This is the first time I had this error message.

1Password Version: 5.4 Mac store
Extension Version: Safari 4.4.4
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Can't sync. Initially tried wifi. Get Mac can't connect to iCloud error message.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kentbaugh,

I have to say I haven't seen that message before. Can you do us a favour please, the next time it pops up can you take a screenshot for us please so we can see the message and see if anything gives it more context. As these are public forums please remove any personal details before you post. I know 1Password will report certain error messages, ones that are being passed to us by CloudKit but that's a new one to me.

• kentbaugh
    kentbaugh
    Community Member

I took two screen shots. Before I saw your e-mail, I changed my password for my Apple ID and the error message went away for awhile. I do not know how to upload the file, so a summary of each screen photo is below:

• Top screen - I went to 1Password > Preferences and clicked the Sync button. The resulting text told me that I was in wifi sync mode and had just done a sync, which was news to me. I never was given the option to sync another way.
    • Bottom - The error message came back. The message is as previously stated (can't connect to iCloud due to issues wth e-mail address). While doing this input, I did not get the error message.

I like your product, but I do not find 1password to be user friendly.

Either I am able to sync without much more time spent, or the security value of 1password is not worth the time to sync. Any recommendations are welcomed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I took two screen shots. Before I saw your e-mail, I changed my password for my Apple ID and the error message went away for awhile. I do not know how to upload the file, so a summary of each screen photo is below:

@kentbaugh: To include a screenshot in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

I'll also see if I can address this, sight-unseen. The primary issue is that AgileBits doesn't have any control over (or knowledge of) iCloud errors, since it is owned and operated by Apple. But some searching I've done seems to indicate that often the solution is to sign out of the iCloud account completely. However, you may want to contact Apple before doing so, as they may have a simpler fix. Ultimately only Apple can help with iCloud account issues such as this, as AgileBits (or any other developer) does not have access to it.

The other issue is the confusion between Wi-Fi Sync and other methods. These are completely separate, and it is actually possible to sync the same vault using both iCloud and Wi-Fi Sync. For Dropbox, Folder, or iCloud Sync, you'll need to go to 1Password Preferences > Sync. For Wi-Fi Sync, you'll need to go to 1Password Preferences > Wi-Fi Server. If you're not going to use Wi-Fi Sync, be sure to disable the server there.

Either I am able to sync without much more time spent, or the security value of 1password is not worth the time to sync. Any recommendations are welcomed.

I think it's important to determine exactly what we're trying to accomplish here, so we can focus on getting this set up for you. What sync method would you prefer? You mentioned having trouble with Wi-Fi Sync, but not the particular trouble you're having. If you'd like to use that method we'll be happy to help with that too. If not, then we can just forget about Wi-Fi Sync and move on, but I wanted to ask since you brought it up initially.

The three different sync methods have different strengths and uses:

• Dropbox supports automatic syncing of multiple vaults, between various platforms, anywhere you have an internet connection.
    • iCloud supports automatic syncing of the primary vault, anywhere you have an internet connection, and is limited to Apple devices.
    • Wi-Fi Sync works between a single computer and one or more mobile devices on the same Wi-Fi network.

I like your product, but I do not find 1password to be user friendly.

While we're not going to be able to dispense with confusing iCloud errors, if you have specific questions or comments about 1Password itself, be sure to let us know so we might improve it for you anyone else. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• kentbaugh
    kentbaugh
    Community Member

I have been unavailable to reply due to medical emergency. I am to the point that starting over seems easier than trying to solve this problem. Unfortunately the screen shots were not recovered to attach. I would appreciate any recommendations are correctly starting over (I realize that some things will be lost) and restarting with the intent of using Apple sync for syncing between my Mac and iPhone/ipad.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kentbaugh,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having medical troubles - that's never any fun! I hope that you're feeling better now.

I do think that we can get this solved without starting over, and I'm not sure that starting over would help in this situation either, since the problem seems like it might be related to your iCloud account and not within 1Password. I'd like to take a closer look at your system, to see if we can determine where things are getting tangled up.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• kentbaugh
    kentbaugh
    Community Member

I have some medical appointments but will be back later today to run the diagnostic that you identified. How do you want me to include a link in my e-mail? I received an e-mail that referred me here, but nothing else.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015

@kentbaugh,

Take your time. There is no hurry on end. We are here whenever it is convenient for you. You can either use the link in the email, or the one in the address bar of your browser while viewing this page. Here it is for your convenience:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/54992/after-trying-to-wifi-sync-tried-icloud-and-got-message-my-mac-cant-connect-to-icloud#latest

Best regards!

ref: VLG-63152-332

• kentbaugh
    kentbaugh
    Community Member

I went to Apple support and they connected me with iCloud. When I went to 1Password>Preferences, I did not appear to have the option to switch to iCloud and I have attached the screen shot.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kentbaugh: Sorry for the confusion! You won't be able to change most Preferences while 1Password is locked. Please unlock your vault, and then where it says "Sync Primary vault with: Folder" in your screenshot, click "Folder" for the dropdown menu. You can then select iCloud there. I hope this helps! :)

• kentbaugh
    kentbaugh
    Community Member

I am not that Mac knowledgeable, and do no know the procedure to unlock the vault. What vault are you referring to?

• @kentbaugh No problem. Behind the window you took a screenshot of is the main 1Password window, which has a locked vault shown. Just type your Master Password in the text field and press enter on your keyboard, then head back to the Preferences window you were at before and you should be able to select iCloud from the dropdown. :)

• kentbaugh
    kentbaugh
    Community Member

Thanks, I was able to select iCloud following the directions you gave. 1Password then had a window titled
    Disabling Sync (with the text and options in the window listed below).
    1Password will no longer sync with the folder.
    Two options to click
    1 Cancel
    2 Disable Sync

Not knowing what to do, please advise.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @kentbaugh,

Ignoring Wi-Fi Sync for a moment, basically each single vault can be set up to use a single sync method. At the moment your primary vault is set up to use Folder Sync and given the location I would suspect that you upgraded from 1Password 3 at some point and 1Password 4/5 found your 1Password 3 Agile Keychain and set up Folder Sync to it in case you wanted to continue using 1Password 3. By syncing to the old Agile Keychain you could continue using 1Password 3 or if the Agile Keychain was in a Dropbox folder then everything that was syncing to that Agile Keychain would seamlessly continue syncing with your new copy of 1Password 4/5. The fact that you're running OS X El Capitan means that might seem a bit useless given how incompatible our older version is with Apple's latest OS X.

Back to your issue. To change sync options you must first disable the existing sync method that has been set up. In this case if you will want to click the Disable Sync button as the Cancel button would be to instruct 1Password that you've changed your mind and that you want to leave syncing as it is. Hopefully that helps. Once you've disabled Folder Sync you'll be able to set up iCloud Sync. Please do let us know how you get along.

• kentbaugh
    kentbaugh
    Community Member

Thank you! Now under 1Password>Preferences the primary vault it identified as syncing with iCloud and identified that a syncing has already occurred.

• @kentbaugh Marvelous! :) Glad littlebobbytables was able to help sort things out. Let us know if you need anything else.

This discussion has been closed.