How do I find my lost keychain data

Diggsy
Diggsy
Community Member
edited December 2015 in Mac

I purchased 1PW5 in order to run 1PW on 10.11. In order to use it I needed to transfer the files from 1PW3 on the old computer.

In the process of following this advice

Run 1Password 3 on your Mac.
Click on 1Password in very top menu bar, select Preferences.
Select the General tab.
Click on 'Move to Dropbox'.

I seem to have lost a lot of data. How can I retrieve it? Is there a back up file somewhere?

I have a clone of the disk as a back up. Where should I look for the data?

I have tried opening from the clone but it seems to default back to the native disk.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Diggsy
    Diggsy
    Community Member

1PW-4 crashes each time I try to import interchange file. Running 10.11 on iMac.

Exported files from one computer file>export all>1PWIF
    Tried to import file>import>data. 1pif>UTF-8 = crash

1Password Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Diggsy,

I'm sorry 1Password is crashing when you try to import a .1pif file! To help figure out what's going on and how to solve this problem, we'll need to know some more details:

• You said you're using 1Password 4 on your Mac with El Capitan, but version 4 runs best on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and 10.8 (Mountain Lion). On the other hand, 1Password 5 fully supports OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and 10.11 (El Capitan). If you have a license for 1Password 4, version 5 is a completely free upgrade. Is there any particular reason you're using version 4 instead of version 5?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac? (The link will explain how to find the exact version number.)
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • It sounds like the .1pif file was created by exporting 1Password data on another Mac. What version of 1Password was used to create that .1pif file, and what version of Mac OS X is running on that Mac?
    • Is there a reason you're trying to use the export/import features to transfer your 1Password data, instead of backup/restore, or one of the sync options (such as Dropbox sync)?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Diggsy
    Diggsy
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

I have a licensed 1PW 3.8.22. I will try the upgrade path.

I tried migrating the data but it did not work, probably because of the OS mismatch.

How do I upgrade?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@Diggsy,

There is no need to export or import anything when upgrading. (Exported data is not encrypted. So be sure to handle it with care and securely delete it when you are done with it.)

1Password will automatically detect your encrypted data and use it when you upgrade as described here:

How do I upgrade 1Password for Mac from version 3?

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

• Diggsy
    Diggsy
    Community Member

I paid for the upgrade to 1pw-5. It installed. It did not bring in my data. It did say there was a problem that would not allow the "mini" version to install.

Is there a way to resolve this?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We can certainly resolve it, @Diggsy. :)

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• Diggsy
    Diggsy
    Community Member

I think I fixed it in 1PW3 but the data still doesn't show up in 1PW5. Looks like I didn't need to buy 1PW5. But since I have paid for it I might as well use it. Can someone help me get the data into 1PW5?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@Diggsy,

I merged your new thread with your existing one. Please see my post above about from yesterday which explains how to send us a Diagnostics Report and what to do after you send it.

We'll get everything sorted out. :)

• Diggsy
    Diggsy
    Community Member

I am using Safari 9. When I click on the key in the tool box and enter my pass word I get a prompt that says "connecting" followed by a set of numbers that increase. What is happening? What am I supposed to do with that information? How long is it supposed to last before I get access to the passwords?

I am not sure if the browser I running version 3 or 5 at this point.

1Password Version: 3-5
    OS Version: 10.11
    Sync Type: none

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015

Hello again, Diggsy.

I merged your third thread with your original one. I'm starting to think you are not seeing any of our posts, but in case you do see this, that means you have the 1Password 3 extension installed. Please take no further action, though, as you risk data loss if you are not careful.

We're trying to help you, but you don't seem to be reading our posts. I'm going to email you directly in the hopes that an email will reach you better than our posts here. :)
    ref: YRN-18185-384

• Diggsy
    Diggsy
    Community Member

I was supposed to get a call at 10 AM it is not 11:57 and no call. What should I do now? I am, and have been, kind of locked out of my computer until this is resolved.

• Jacob
    edited January 2016

@Diggsy We've responded via email. Thanks for getting in touch. :)

ref: YRN-18185-384

This discussion has been closed.