Windows 10 + Chrome 47 doesn't connect...

Options

I just installed the 1P Chrome extension in Chrome 47 on a brand-new Windows 10 system. The 1P toolbar button has a red exclamation mark on its icon, and when I enter my master password it sits "Connecting..." and counting endlessly.

In other support posts on this matter, I understand that you usually point to a firewall issue or malware blocker. However, two data points: 1) the problem persists even after completely disabling Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, and 2) the Firefox extension works fine in the ESR 38.5.2 version on this same box.

In other posts, I have seen your request for logs to be sent, but haven't seen how to generate them.

1Password Version: 1.0.9.299
Extension Version: 3.9.21.90
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Dropbox?
Referrer: forum-search:windows 10 + chrome 47 connecting

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015
    Options

@cinchent: It sounds like you may be trying to use a new extension with a very old version of 1Password for Windows. I'd recommend upgrading to 1Password 4 so you'll have support for the newest browsers (such as Firefox 43), but if you'd like to continue using 1Password version 1, you'll need to use the appropriate extension. Just open 1Password Preference > General and click the link there to install it. Then restart Windows. I hope this helps! :)

• cinchent
    cinchent
    Community Member
    Options

I thought that maybe would be your response. "Very old" is subjective, of course. I don't want to upgrade to version 4. I've looked through the whole change log up to the most recent version, and nothing struck me as enough of a value-add for me to upgrade all my "one-time purchase" licenses, outside of bug fixes I'm not plagued by. Incidentally, a major reason why I chose 1Password over your competitors was that I don't want to have ongoing repeated expenses for a password-tracking system (a necessary evil of life), continually paying for upgrades -- a practice that is rampant in the rest of the software industry.

Enough grumbling; onward to the solution. Actually, I did do what you suggested -- that's how I installed the extension originally. The link in the Preference | General dialog is what auto-selected version 3.9.21.20 for Chrome. ( I don't even see a way to select a downgrade.) As mentioned, the Firefox extension works fine, and I installed it that same way.

• MikeT
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi @cinchent,

The latest 1Password 1.x version is 1.0.9.342, you said you're using 299 in your original post. Try downloading 342 directly here: https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/win/1Password-1.0.9.342.exe and install it.

After that, reboot your PC and see if it will work in Chrome now.

Incidentally, a major reason why I chose 1Password over your competitors was that I don't want to have ongoing repeated expenses for a password-tracking system (a necessary evil of life), continually paying for upgrades -- a practice that is rampant in the rest of the software industry.

Upgrades and subscription models provide the funding for the software developers to keep working while feeding their families. It allows them to support their products on newer upcoming versions of software, such as Windows 10 and newer versions of Chrome and other software. It is simply not sustainable to offer one price to keep maintaining the product forever.

The bug fixes include security fixes as well, not just bugs you don't get affected by.

There are no assurances that 1Password 1.x for Windows will run on all future unsupported versions of the Windows OS and browsers, it will only work with the supported versions at the time you bought 1Password and if you'd like to 1Password to work with future versions, it would require an upgrade. If you don't upgrade the rest of your software, 1Password will keep working.

• cinchent
    cinchent
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Mike. That did work.

We'll just have to disagree about the way in which software development can be sustained, depending upon the types of software in question. (I'm a developer too.)

• You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.