Complex issue with syncing across platforms

Options
Eliza
Eliza
Community Member

I have 1Password pro on OXS, I have just downloaded 1Password for Mac onto my El Capitan updated Macbook Air

I am in a bit of a mess
I have been using 1Password for years on iPhone and iPad, but have discovered that although I set up dropbox syncing, it hasn't been syncing since 2013.
I have just downloaded 1password for Mac and started to update with some of the new features on my laptop but as I worked through what was recognised (I now know came from Dropbox) , I saw that some was definitely out of date and I known had been updated on my iPhone (which is my main resource)

I was scared to sync with Dropbox as because of the recent changes I have made on the macbook, it is difficult to sort out what is new and what is outdated!

I decided that I would do a cloud sync from my iPhone. to have some sync. I am not sure that was right but I really don't know what to do next.

Ideally I want dropbox to carry the sync but how?

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: 5.4.2 (552001)
OS Version: El Capitan
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:sync problems, kb:dropbox-troubleshooting

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eliza,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Just to be clear, can you confirm some things for me?

1. Is your 1Password data on your iPhone and iPad in sync? Do they both have the same data? Or is the different at a you are referring to on those two devices?
    2. If you haven't set up 1Password on your Mac yet, it might be best to wait until we sort things out with 1Password on your iPhone and iPad. Then, once that is all working correctly, syncing the data to your Mac will be very easy. :) If you have already set up 1Password on your Mac and synced the data, please let me know.

The first thing I would recommend is creating a backup of your 1Password data on both your iPhone and your iPad. You can do that like this:

Creating 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS)

I don't anticipate any problems, but backups are always good to have — especially before diving in to a sync issue. :)

Please let me know the above information once you have created the backups. We'll get things sorted out for you.

Cheers!

• Eliza
    Eliza
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Is your 1Password data on your iPhone and iPad in sync? Do they both have the same data? Or is the different at a you are referring to on those two devices?

I assumed that iPhone and iPad were in sync but they are not! they are more in sync than Dropbox...but I am now even more confused about what is new data and what is old.

If you haven't set up 1Password on your Mac yet, it might be best to wait until we sort things out with 1Password on your iPhone and iPad. Then, once that is all working correctly, syncing the data to your Mac will be very easy. :) If you have already set up 1Password on your Mac and synced the data, please let me know.

Unfortunately - it was while setting up the 1Password on my Macbook, that I discovered the problem - well I had sort of thought that all was not well in Dropbox but not bothered as I usually have the iPad or iPhone to hand!

I really rely on 1Password and would like to have it on my desktop iMac as well as the MacBook but it seems that this might just increase the muddle as things stand!
    Your help will be gratefully received
    Elizabeth

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eliza,

Thank you for the additional information. I'm sure we can help get this all cleared up in no time! :)

If I understand, changes you make to 1Password on your iPhone are not syncing to your iPad (and vice versa). But both of those devices have newer information than Dropbox (and your MacBook, since that synced the older data from Dropbox). Is that all correct?

Also, please make sure you've followed the steps in the link Khad gave you to backup the 1Password data from your iPhone and iPad. You should end up with two different backup files/folders (one from your iPhone and one from your iPad) saved somewhere on your Mac. If you run into any trouble trying to make those backups, just let us know what happens.

It should be fairly easy to get the sync working again so you have all your latest 1Password data on all devices, but in order to give you the right steps, we'll need to know exactly which version of 1Password is installed on your iPhone and on your iPad. To find the version(s), just follow the steps here: Which version of 1Password am I running?

If those steps don't seem to match what you see in 1Password on your iPhone and iPad, you might be using a much older version. In that case, the version number should be shown in Settings > About in the 1Password app. It will also help if you can let us know which version of iOS is running on your iPhone and iPad. To find that, open the Settings app on each device and go to General > About (or General > Software Update).

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• Eliza
    Eliza
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

changes made to 1Password iPhone are not syncing to your iPad (and vice versa). But both of those devices have newer information than Dropbox (and your MacBook, since that synced the older data from Dropbox). Is that all correct?

• Correct
    • Backed-up as described
    • IPhone = 6.1.2. IOS = 9.2
    • IPad = 6.1.2 IOS = 9.2
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eliza,

Great, thanks for confirming those details and for the version numbers! :)

From here, it should be pretty easy to get things syncing properly between your Mac, iPhone, and iPad. I'll even throw in a few extra steps to make sure all of the newer data from your iOS devices replaces the older data in Dropbox and on your Mac:

On your MacBook:

• Open 1Password (unlock if necessary) and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Sync tab, then change the sync setting from Dropbox to None.
    • Check the box to Delete data from Dropbox, then click Disable Sync.

That will delete the old/out of date sync file from Dropbox, so it won't cause any further trouble. Next, let's get Dropbox sync working between your iPhone and iPad:

• On one of your iOS devices (either one is fine), setup Dropbox sync by following the steps here: Sync with Dropbox
    • When you do that, you should be prompted to create a new sync file in Dropbox, which is expected. Once you do that and Dropbox sync is set up, please allow the sync to complete.
    • On your other iOS device, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Start Syncing.
    • Choose Sync with Dropbox.
    • When you see your Dropbox account name, tap on the name (do not tap on the 'i' icon).
    • When asked to choose a vault, you should see the new sync file you just created from the first device - go ahead and choose that.
    • Follow the steps to complete the sync setup. At some point you should be prompted to merge the vault data, which is fine.

At this point, both your iPhone and iPad should have the same data in 1Password. Then, the final step is to enable Dropbox sync in 1Password on your Mac:

• Open 1Password on your Mac (unlock if necessary) and go back to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Change the sync setting from None to Dropbox.
    • Click the Choose button, then find and select the new sync file you created in Dropbox (then click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing.

Now you should also have all the latest data in 1Password on your Mac, and any changes you make to one of your devices should sync to the others. Please let us know how it all goes, and if you have any questions about that. Thanks! :)

• Eliza
    Eliza
    Community Member
    Options

Right - followed your instructions. dropbox content successfully deleted but although I have tried to sync with iPhone - with no joy and then with Pad where I got some response and it indicates that it has done a sync with Dropbox (171 items) but Dropbox seems completely empty. I am giving up for now as my life must move on but this is all rather worrying,
    I really feel quite stuck.

• Eliza
    Eliza
    Community Member
    Options

Back to this!
    Dropbox is still empty but the message on Sync on the iPad says that it was Synced 24 seconds ago (... then in progress and counting up to 1 minute. Seeing that I have lost anything I had in Dropbox, I wonder if I should delete the folder in Dropbox and start again. I really am now very messed up - even more than before I started to go through this process.
    Before I contacted you, when I realised that things had gone wrong somewhere, I synced to the cloud which of course I turned off when I received you later instructions. Does that help or hinder getting myself sorted out?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eliza,

I'm sorry this didn't turn out to be as easy as I had hoped! But I'm sure we can get this all sorted out without too much more trouble.

...I have tried to sync with iPhone - with no joy...

Can you please describe what happens/happened when trying to set up Dropbox sync in 1Password on your iPhone? Did you try setting it up on the iPhone first (before the iPad)? If so, have you tried again after setting it up on the iPad? Do you get any error messages? What are the exact steps you're taking to set it up on the iPhone, and what happens when you try to do that?

...and then with Pad where I got some response and it indicates that it has done a sync with Dropbox (171 items) but Dropbox seems completely empty.

It sounds like you were able to set up Dropbox sync in 1Password on your iPad - which is good! :) But I'm not sure what you mean about Dropbox being empty - can you elaborate on that? Are you looking in the Dropbox app on your iPad or iPhone, or are you looking in the local Dropbox folder on your Mac? Or are you looking in your Dropbox account on the dropbox.com website? And are you looking in a specific location within your Dropbox files?

The 1Password sync file in Dropbox will be either an Agile Keychain or OPVault package, and will likely be named 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password.opvault. Assuming it created a brand new sync file, it should be located in Dropbox/Apps/1Password/ so please make sure you're looking there. If for some reason there was an older, existing sync file that still remained in Dropbox, it might be located somewhere else, such as in the root level of Dropbox, or in Dropbox/1Password/.

If Dropbox sync is enabled in 1Password on your iPad and shows that it's working, there must be a sync file for it in Dropbox. On your iPad, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Sync Service. The file name and path for the sync file will be shown underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox.

...I wonder if I should delete the folder in Dropbox and start again.

Please don't delete anything - at least, not yet. Which folder in Dropbox are you referring to? The default location of the sync file in Dropbox has changed a couple times, so you might be looking in an old folder. Make sure you look in Dropbox/Apps/1Password/ which is the new default location.

I really am now very messed up - even more than before I started to go through this process.

It might be less messed up than you think - perhaps it's just some confusion over where the new sync file was created in Dropbox? It sounds like Dropbox sync is working in 1Password on your iPad, so the next step would be to try again on your iPhone, if you haven't already done so. When you enable Dropbox sync on your iPhone, it should automatically find the new sync file.

Before I contacted you, when I realised that things had gone wrong somewhere, I synced to the cloud which of course I turned off when I received you later instructions.

1Password for iOS has a couple different cloud sync options - Dropbox and iCloud. When you say you previously "synced to the cloud", could you mean iCloud sync? If so, that's not a problem at all, but you'll need to disable iCloud sync first in order to enable Dropbox sync (if you haven't already done so).

Please let us know what you're able to find! :)

• Eliza
    Eliza
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I have attached photos of the blank empty 'dropbox' in iPad and the 'sync' that never happens in iPhone

I followed the instructions to the letter
    "Can you please describe what happens/happened when trying to set up Dropbox sync in 1Password on your iPhone? Did you try setting it up on the iPhone first (before the iPad)? "

• yes but I didn't get the options in sync - I am sorry but I didn't make a note
      "so, have you tried again after setting it up on the iPad?"

• yes but there is no change
      "Do you get any error messages? "

• No

• What are the exact steps you're taking to set it up on the iPhone, and what happens when you try to do that?
    • settings > vaults > primary > sync service (Dropbox) > Sync now > goes to sync 'in process' for a few seconds then continues to count to 60 seconds . and loops with sync in process and count etc
    • no error message

"what you mean about Dropbox being empty - can you elaborate on that? Are you looking in the Dropbox app on your iPad or iPhone, or are you looking in the local Dropbox folder on your Mac? "

• I have attached the shot of the empty dropbox on iPad, (same on dropbox folder both local and online)
      "Or are you looking in your Dropbox account on the dropbox.com website?
      And are you looking in a specific location within your Dropbox files?"

• see above

"If Dropbox sync is enabled in 1Password on your iPad and shows that it's working, there must be a sync file for it in Dropbox. On your iPad, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Sync Service. The file name and path for the sync file will be shown underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox."

• OK - it is in /Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault
    • It is there and has content

iPhone
    "It might be less messed up than you think - perhaps it's just some confusion over where the new sync file was created in Dropbox? It sounds like Dropbox sync is working in 1Password on your iPad, so the next step would be to try again on your iPhone, if you haven't already done so. When you enable Dropbox sync on your iPhone, it should automatically find the new sync file."

• I have tried to sync the iPhone but not sure how to check that it has been done and in the dropbox..
    • Is it worth setting up a demo vault and seeing if it appears in the dropbox?
    • I tried this but not able to find another Vault
    • I also note that in Dropbox there are a different number of logins from either iPhone or iPad - a total of 135 ( individually 171 and 153 on the mobile devices)

Finally
    "1Password for iOS has a couple different cloud sync options - Dropbox and iCloud. When you say you previously "synced to the cloud", could you mean iCloud sync?

• YES
      If so, that's not a problem at all, but you'll need to disable iCloud sync first in order to enable Dropbox sync (if you haven't already done so).

• DONE

Can you make sense of all this?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eliza,

Thank you so much for all the information, and especially for the screenshots - they're extremely helpful for us! :)

Your first screenshot is of the sync settings in 1Password on your iPhone. According to that screenshot, Dropbox sync is currently enabled (and as of the time you took that screenshot, the last sync took place 2 seconds ago). It also shows there are 158 items in that vault - if you tap the Categories icon at the bottom of 1Password on your iPhone, it should also show that you have a total of 158 items there. Now, the only thing I'm not sure of is, did you just enable Dropbox sync there when following my instructions? Or was it already enabled?

Your second screenshot is of the Dropbox app on your iPad. You appear to be looking at the following folder: Dropbox/1Password/

The reason it's empty is because that folder is no longer the default location for your 1Password sync file. Your new sync file (named 1Password.opvault) is in a different location in Dropbox, and you confirmed that you found it here: Dropbox/Apps/1Password/

Going back to the first screenshot, if you were to go back to that screen on your iPhone (which is in 1Password > Settings > Vaults > Primary) and tap Sync Service / Dropbox, you should see the location and name of the file it's syncing with in Dropbox (which should be the same as your iPad). Can you please check that and let us know what you see there on your iPhone?

• I also note that in Dropbox there are a different number of logins from either iPhone or iPad - a total of 135 ( individually 171 and 153 on the mobile devices)

Where exactly are you seeing those numbers? The actual file in Dropbox shouldn't be showing you the number of items in that vault. You should only see the item count in the 1Password app on each device. For example, as I mentioned above, the Categories section in 1Password for iOS will show the number of items, and that should be the same as the number in Settings > Vaults > Primary. I'm not sure where you are seeing three different numbers, though.

I think we're very close to getting this all figured out. Thanks so much for your patience! :)

• Eliza
    Eliza
    Community Member
    Options

first answer:
    iPad dropbox: Apps>1Password>1Password.opvault>default>screenshot

**: Apps>1Password>1Password.opvault>screenshot with detail
    will attempt other questions later!

• Eliza
    Eliza
    Community Member
    Options

Please not that the second screenshot is of the MACBOOK dropbox - some typing fell off somewhere

• Eliza
    Eliza
    Community Member
    Options

I hope that this is all you need to know. I find the iPhone has the same info as the iPad screenshot above.
    I do hope that this is now on the way to being solved!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eliza,

Thanks again for your screenshots! It sounds like your iPhone and iPad are both syncing with the same .opvault file in Dropbox (Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault). And it also sounds like you were able to find that .opvault file in that same location in the Dropbox folder on your Mac. That's all very good news! :)

The next (and hopefully final) step is to sync that same .opvault file with the Primary vault in 1Password for Mac. You can do that by following these instructions:

• Open the 1Password app on your Mac (unlock it with your master password if necessary).
    • Go to the 1Password 5 menu and select Preferences.
    • In the Preferences window, click on the Sync tab.
    • Make sure the Primary vault is selected on the left side of the Sync settings.
    • Click on the “Sync Primary vault with” pop-up menu and choose Dropbox.
    • Click the Choose button and select the 1Password.opvault file in Dropbox/Apps/1Password/ (then click Open).
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing (you might need to enter your master password).

You will likely see a window telling you the vault in Dropbox is different from the vault on your Mac, and will ask if you want to merge them. That's expected, because the vault on your Mac has the older information. When you choose to merge, it should be updated with the newer information from Dropbox.

Please let us know how that goes, thanks! :)

• Eliza
    Eliza
    Community Member
    Options

OK done that. I now have some areas where I have the message 'conflicts' I presume that is because of the mixture of data from different 'un-synced' sources.
    I have a few questions:
    1) how do I avoid this happening again? i.e. What do I need to do to have automatic syncing?
    2) I have my main desktop (mac) that I want to put 1 Password on, does this raise other problems?
    Thank your for all your help and patience - I am breathing easier now.
    Elizabeth

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eliza,

That's great news, it sounds like everything is syncing again! :)

I now have some areas where I have the message 'conflicts' I presume that is because of the mixture of data from different 'un-synced' sources.

Yes, that's most likely the case. Conflicts show up when 1Password syncs but is unable to determine which copy of an item has the newer information, so it saves the conflicting info in 'Conflict' fields to ensure that data is not lost. If you see an item with a 'Conflicts' section in 1Password, you can simply edit that item to make any corrections (i.e. make sure it has the correct/latest data in the normal fields, and remove the Conflicts fields).

This isn't something that will normally happen now that your devices are all in sync with each other.

1) how do I avoid this happening again? i.e. What do I need to do to have automatic syncing?

You don't really need to do anything - as long as Dropbox sync stays enabled in the sync settings of 1Password on each device, it will work automatically for you.

2) I have my main desktop (mac) that I want to put 1 Password on, does this raise other problems?

Nope, not at all! :) On your main desktop Mac, simply install 1Password, and the first time you open it, you'll be able to choose to sync your data from Dropbox (make sure Dropbox is already installed on that Mac before installing 1Password, of course). It should be similar to when you installed 1Password on your MacBook Air, except your data in Dropbox is now up to date. You can follow the steps in this section of our user guide.

Thank your for all your help and patience - I am breathing easier now.

You're very welcome, it was my pleasure! I'm really glad I was able to help you with all that. We're always happy to help, so if you have more questions or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.