Looking for a way to rename my vault file, including the extension.

Options
pdxdan
pdxdan
Community Member

I'd like to rename my vault file before syncing it with Dropbox to add a layer of security through obscurity. Having the .agilekeychain extension is like having a big red target on the vault file. If it was just some boring file name (like candycrush.bin or coincollection.bak) then it would not be as much of a target.
Is there a way to change the filename, including the file extension? Will that work across OS X and mobile devices with Dropbox sync?

thanks!

1Password Version: 5.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:rename vault file

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @pdxdan,

That's an interesting idea, but it's not really possible... or necessary. You can change the 1Password part (ex. nothingtoseehere.agilekeychain), but the file extension is necessary for 1Password to know how to read the file.

1Password data is end-to-end encrypted and is incredibly safe on its own terms, even when syncing through Dropbox. My teammate Khad made a great post on this subject back in October, with tons of useful links to supporting data, so rather than reiterate, I'll direct you to his post for further reading.

tl;dr: Three easy ways to ensure your 1Password data (and metadata) is as secure as possible in Dropbox:

• Switch from Agile Keychain to OPVault.
    • Make sure your 1Password Master Password is strong, memorable, and known only to you.
    • Make sure your Dropbox password is also strong, memorable, and known only to you. (Keep it memorable because in case of emergency, like if your devices are stolen, you may need to know your Dropbox password in order to access your 1Password data.)

I hope this puts your mind at ease. Let us know if you have any further questions. :) Cheers!

• pdxdan
    pdxdan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I'll move to the OPvault format, but I still think it still seem silly to require a .agilekeychain or .opvault extension at all. That shouldn't be necessary for the app to read the file if I was to point the app at the specific file. And it would increase security (however marginally) if I could obscure the filename. Is it possible to add an enhancement request for that feature?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pdxdan: I'm really glad you asked that, as it highlights a very important point:

"Security through obscurity" is not really security at all.

If 1Password was built on that principle, it would indeed be useful to hide the "vault" in this fashion, since that would really be your only defense. But you'd be equally secure if you put your sensitive information in a contact named Aunt Beru. Someone is much less likely to look there for your login credentials than an Excel document called My Passwords.xls, but what security does that actually provide? :unamused:

Instead, 1Password is designed with the worst-case scenario in mind: someone malicious has your vault, they know what they have, and they're determined to get to the secrets held within. 1Password relies on something far more powerful — MATH! — to thwart not only the casual "hacker", but also authoritarian regimes, terrorist organizations, and your nosy nephew. :sarcastic:

So rather than leaving it up to chance that someone won't be able to find your data and figure out what it is, it is encrypted and hardened against brute force attacks. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance.. :sunglasses:

While I don't expect we'll be making the changes you suggest, I can tell you that we're in agreement on one thing: file extensions are silly. Unfortunately they're what we have for now, since Classic Mac OS and BeOS both went the way of the dodo. They're an integral part of how apps and the OS handle file types, especially across platforms (since filesystem metadata doesn't carry over). :glasses:

However, if it's obscurity you want, obscurity you shall have:

Just keep in mind that the Kind identifier (and associated app and icon) will still be present. And actually removing the extension tells the OS not to treat it as the registered OPVault or AgileKeychain Kind or type; it becomes a regular folder, which results in double-clicking it opening...well, the folder's contents. :wink:

But at the end of the day, the only possible security benefit afforded by the obscurity of removing the file extension would be if you'd already given someone the Master Password and they were just on an Easter egg hunt to find the vault in oder to use it. And seriously, don't give your Master Password up! :scream:

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• pdxdan
    pdxdan
    Community Member
    Options

The Hide Extension option only hides the extension from my view, and doesn't remove it from the file itself, which isn't really what I was looking for. But nonetheless I appreciate your thorough response and creative suggestion :-)

The operating system may rely on a file extension to associate an app with a file type, but an app never needs the file extension to open a file. It's really only a shortcut for pairing those file types with the right app to open them.

Either way I'm still happy using your 1Password. And if someday your team decides to support the renaming of vaults and let me point 1Password explicitly at my vaults, then I'll be even happier. Until then, let's close this thread now. Thanks again for the prompt support responses.

• @pdxdan You're correct: The extension is not removed, but hidden from the user interface. Removing the extension would cause the vault to become a file 1Password cannot read, which means your vault would no longer function properly with the way that things are built. On behalf of Vee and brenty, you're most welcome. Glad they've been able to help out here. If you need anything else, feel free to get in touch. :)

This discussion has been closed.