Do you plan to introduce "Custom Categories". Your standard "Categories" do not work for me!

Jackes
Jackes
Community Member

Do you plan to introduce "Custom Categories". Your standard "Categories" do not work for me!

I have to hide categories and add tags to everything. Custom Categories would be a big help. I was under the impression that v5 would have Custom Categories.

Thanks -- Jack

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: ???
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: wi-fi
Referrer: forum-search:Do you plan to introduce "Custom Categories". Your standard "Categories" do not work for me!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jackes,

I can't speak to our future plans, but we know that custom categories are a popular request, and I'm happy to add your vote to the issue in our internal tracker.

In the meantime, we've got a blog post that talks about the Secure Notes category, and how you can turn a Secure Note into pretty much any category you want. I've found this category to solve nearly all of my "I wish 1Password could do this!" problems, and I hope it helps you too. :)

• gkostera
    gkostera
    Community Member

I to have been wondering for quite sometime why custom categories have not been included in future or beta rollouts. Seems like an awful lot of people looking for this feature.

• @gkostera There are lots of great features we could add to 1Password, and we're trying to make sure they don't clutter things up too much. Custom categories is a popular one, indeed. I've added your vote to the feature as well. Be sure to keep on the lookout for future developments. Hopefully we have something to share. :)

ref: OPM-1643

• DoctorBrown
    DoctorBrown
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

Please, please, please.... I hope custom or more predefined categories comes out soon. I'd also like to be able to hide the ones I'm not using. This is something I missed as soon as I started using 1Password.

And allow me to separate the various item types in the Wallet, in a subcategory or something!! This is high priority for me. Wallet items all jumbled together on Windows

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DoctorBrown,

Thanks so much for your feedback! I can't promise anything on future features, but I'll be sure to share your thoughts with our developers.

• GeneralError
    GeneralError
    Community Member

I too would like to see custom categories, also being able to hide ones that I don't use would be handy. With custom categories, they could become un-manageable, so I think hiding un-used categories would go hand in hand.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@GeneralError Categories are already hidden until you add an item to them.

• Custom categories pose a compatibility problem for us. We currently support syncing with apps all the way back to version 3. If we were to add custom categories, items of those categories wouldn't show up in the older apps correctly. They may not sync at all when using AgileKeychain (I'd have to double check that). The move from AgileKeychain to OPVault was to start the transition towards these kinds of things. It's difficult for us to add these kinds of things and maintain compatibility with code that's years old.

OPVault is a lot more open-ended than AgileKeychain, and will hopefully open up a lot of possibilities for us.

Rick

• samattridge
    samattridge
    Community Member

Custom categories would be a great addition for my team. A lot of the categories available aren't relevant and it would be good to be able to remove them and add custom ones that have a template more akin to what we need.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @samattridge,

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll let our team know you’re interested in this. :)

• p4800
    p4800
    Community Member

Really, really need to have sub-categories and sub-sub-categories...
    I am coming from eWallet with hundreds of records and this is a show stopper.

I understand your compatibility issues with version 3.x, but you're now at version 6.x. At some point, you need to get with the times. I'm sure there's a solution if you think about it...

Let's get the sub-categories and eventually view all in a tree structure. I predict that's the future.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @p4800

Thank you very much for your input and for letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password. We always want to hear what's most important for you all. I hope too to see custom categories in 1Password someday! Stay around to see where all this leads us and al the new things that we're always adding to 1Password to make it better :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.