New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty 2 things first:
    1) It's great to talk directly with someone that is involved in developing 1P

@lcorsini: Likewise, it's amazing to get to hear feedback directly from the community. We're still small enough that we don't have middle management wedged in every opening. ;)

2) I understand the point you are making.
    But I don't know if it's the correct approach, as I said, I understand that you don't have resource to dedicate to linux right now, but you could dedicate a little bit of love to 1Panywhere, and maybe publish a solid API to interface with it and let the developer community do what knows best.

The great thing is that there generally isn't a 'correct' approach. Development is pretty fluid, and what works in one time or place (/cough 1PasswordAnywhere) isn't necessarily the best solution for all and forever. There's a lot more to 1Password for Teams than the web interface, but the web interface is itself an evolution of 1PasswordAnywhere, and that's the direction we're going. It's already far more advanced, and we're just getting started.

Frankly I'm facing a lot of challenges getting back to 1P (I'm publishing something to the forum about that later) because of syncing and using different platform, and I think that 1Pa approach could be a solution also for unsupported platforms

I'd definitely appreciate hearing more about your own challenges — although it does sound like a separate discussion. It really helps us to see things from a different perspective. That said, from your description (so far, at least) it sounds like 1Password for Teams might be of interest to you, as far as accessing your data on 'unsupported platforms'. Check it out. It's free in beta, you may find something you like there, and if you do you can help hope what it becomes in the future so it can be even more useful to you. :)

• lcorsini
    lcorsini
    Community Member

@brenty yes my problem is more about using 1P on different platforms, that's why I've wrote about it here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/52442/trouble-in-syncing-paradise#latest

I've left 1p for team out of that post mainly because I haven't used it and it's still in development, but I'll surely try it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you! Understood. Looking forward to the parallel discussion. :chuffed:

• mjarvis
    mjarvis
    Community Member

I'm on the fence on whether or not to purchase your app. It looks great, and I'm sure it would work fine with my MacBook and my Android smart phone. However, I also use Ubuntu Linux desktop, and your proposed solution of running it within Wine is not acceptable to me. Emulating a crappy Microsoft OS is NOT a satisfactory solution for me.

I saw that there's an open-source effort on Icculus, but obviously I'd prefer something "official" if I'm going to pay $49.99 for a Mac application, along with an additional fee for Android support.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: kb-search:linux, kb:1password-in-wine

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

@mjarvis - I assume you have found the thread in the Lounge section of the forum where this discussion, dare I say argument, has been continuing since 2010. If not, have a look here.

But for the moment, it seems Wine is your only choice for Linux. And I've been hanging around this forum long enough to know that AgileBits doesn't discuss its future plans or give timelines for the implementation of new features. I'm sure you will get an official response to your post, which I cannot provide.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @mjarvis,

I've merged your post with our thread on Linux given how linked they are.

While we do have instructions on how to use Wine with 1Password to run on linux it's not something we shout about, it's more for those that really want/need to. We aren't saying no but I certainly can't promise anything that you factor into your decision. We want everybody to be happy with their password manager of choice. Obviously we would love it if that's 1Password but it won't be the perfect fit for everybody. If Linux support is a must have it may be 1Password isn't the best fit for you. I don't know what the future will bring in this regard but the happiest path is if you don't base your decision on what might be but instead what is definitely true right now.

• mjarvis
    mjarvis
    Community Member

Thank you, @hawkmoth and @littlebobbytables for the reply. After reading this thread, I think I will pass on purchasing the app. Linux support is a rather important feature for me, and I can simply continue using PasswordSafe. The PasswordSafe code is open source, and there are lots of clones and ports available, including multiple Linux options. I have seen 1Password used by one of my Apple fan-boy friends, and it IS slick, but in my case, the pros do not outweigh the cons. That's just my opinion, of course. I like my MacBook Pro, but to me, OS X is just another nice (albeit expensive) UNIX desktop. :)

Actually, I completely understand why AgileBits hasn't implemented Linux support in 1Password. I work as a professional software developer myself, and any commercial software company has to focus their energy on where it makes sense adding value to the bottom line. Unfortunately, the Linux desktop is a bit of a niche market, although Linux dominates the server software market, and I suspect there just isn't enough market demand to make it a profitable effort. I mentioned earlier that I found an open-source attempt at a 1Password Linux client, but it hasn't been modified in two years, and appears to have been abandoned. I was unable to turn up anything else, which just reinforces the lack of demand.

That being said, I suspect that porting the 1Password to Linux would be relatively quick and easy, if you had the right people working on it. However, it's not profitable enough for AgileBits to do so, and it's not compelling enough for me to pay the $$$ for the product and then spend hours and hours of my free time reverse-engineering the functionality, even assuming that it would be legal for me to do so in your EULA.

Sorry to ramble on...I just thought you'd appreciate hearing from someone that's disappointed but understanding about the situation. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @mjarvis,

You've reached out to us with your needs but also with a very balanced view. I can happily chat to people like your good self all day although I suppose I ought to make sure I get some work done too :lol:

You raise several good points which of course by itself probably saddens you that you can see why it isn't a resounding "yes, we'll build for linux!". That's just now of course and genuinely who knows what the future may bring. I believe Apple opened up Swift and should 1Password ever move completely over could it be possible that it would make porting easy? I don't know the answer but it's a question that teases with possibilities. We're also working on 1Password for Teams where one of the already existing features is you can access your vaults via a web interface. Of course Teams won't be for everybody but for those that like the idea does it mean possibilities in lieu of a dedicated client for their platform?

This is the future though and I do stand by what I said earlier. Your decision needs to be based on what it can do for you now as if you've been in the game for long enough I'm sure you've been burnt or know somebody that has by vendor promises. We want to try and avoid that kind of mess. It's much nicer if you can find an application or service that works for you now and then anything else they do going forward is merely added bonuses.

Sadly it's probably not the first time you've hit a situation like this - being a linux fan is not easy sometimes.

• mjarvis
    mjarvis
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

Yes, @littlebobbytables , this is NOT the first time I've hit a situation like this. I've had my MacBook Pro for only a few months, and I bought it only because of the lack of Linux desktop support for some critical business applications such as Microsoft Office. My choices were either Mac or Windows, and I loathe Windows with a passion. This is my first Mac, and so far I like it. It really IS just a very slick and polished UNIX desktop OS.

Of course, I've used Linux as a desktop at home for many years, and I work as a professional Linux software developer, working primarily on low-level network applications written in C and/or C++. I still have several computers running Linux as a desktop, which is my problem.

I did see the announcement about Swift, but I haven't done any experimentation with the language yet. However, it sounds interesting, and I'm intrigued by the idea of a language that claims to offer both "garbage collected" memory management AND performance suitable for systems programming.

Back to 1Password, I think it would be nice if AgileBits could open up just a portion of the product, such as the encryption and data format, essentially exposing an API for interacting with the data. It would permit things like an open-source Linux client, plus open-sourcing your encryption code (AND licensing it with something like GPL) means that it has to stay open, and permits peer review for security. Granted, you'd need to architect your product in such a way that you could still turn a profit and prevent people from just making money off of clones. Cisco does a good job of this, by open-sourcing Snort, but licensing the rules. There are people who can and do make a living implementing Snort (among other security tools) for a living, but they can't take the Snort code, add some features, and then re-sell it. They have to sell it as a service, and the REAL value is in the rule sets anyway.

I'm not sure how you'd address that issue with your product, but in theory it would be nice. ☺

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Back to 1Password, I think it would be nice if AgileBits could open up just a portion of the product, such as the encryption and data format, essentially exposing an API for interacting with the data.

@mjarvis: In fact, our data formats are public, as illustrated in this old blog post, which of course is the reason that things like the Linux implementation you mentioned and 3rd party browser extensions exist. You can find updated documentation in our knowledgebase:

OPVault Design

AgileKeychain Design

But of course we haven't open-sourced our code for some of the reasons you'd expect. What Cisco has done is interesting though.

I also wanted to say that I still hope we can do something for Linux someday, but we really do have bigger fish to fry at the moment. More to the point, each forum category is teeming with users of our current products demanding great things of us — and rightly so! We'd be negligent if we simply took their money and let the existing software stagnate. And if and when we turn our attention to Linux, it will be because we have the bandwidth to make great software there too without skimping on the rest. Thanks so much for your passion and honestly. I hope we'll be able to give you and the rest of our Linux fans a "yes" someday! :)

• JohnHeroHD
    JohnHeroHD
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

+1 for a native Linux client!

Just signed up to add my vote.

I must admit I am using it at work and at home (both Ubuntu installs) with wine and I am running a script to autostart the helper when the system starts, so it does work pretty OK (without the autostarter script for the helper it was terrible because you had to restart it manually every time in the client in order for the browser extention to work...).

It is a bit buggy and laggy, however, at this moment I like it more than LastPass, the program I used to use and all the other software I have tried before.

• niemalsnever
    niemalsnever
    Community Member

@JohnHeroHD Would you be so kind and share that script? (If it's not allowed here, maybe pastebin.com. I'd be very interested in such a script, because starting 1PW and then going to Help->Restart 1Password Helper is a PITA.

Cheers,
    niemalsnever

• JohnHeroHD
    JohnHeroHD
    Community Member

@niemalsnever

Yes, of course! I just wrote a blog post on how to do this. It was driving me nuts in the beginning, I hope it will help you out. And any other people looking for a solution.

http://www.johnherohd.com/1password-on-ubuntu-automatically-start-the-helper/

• niemalsnever
    niemalsnever
    Community Member

@JohnHeroHD

Thanks a lot, it works perfectly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JohnHeroHD: Very cool! Thanks for sharing that! :chuffed:

• RickemParis
    RickemParis
    Community Member

+1 for a linux version!!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know you'd like us to develop a native Linux app as well! :)

• kyoshiro
    kyoshiro
    Community Member

1password is great!

+1 for a native linux version!

would make 1password even greater! :)

• dannus
    dannus
    Community Member

+1 for a native Linux version!!

I'm presently use 1password for Windows and Android. Would be great if you had something for Linux.

• Thanks for the votes! :)

• nvision
    nvision
    Community Member

I made an account just to vote.

+1 for Linux!

I'm loving 1Password but I'm really disappointed in the lack of support for Linux. Please don't give me a reason to switch...

• unreal4u
    unreal4u
    Community Member

Hello :)

Now that 1Password for Teams is out (well, in beta at least), are there any plans to develop a Linux client? We (as in the company) are currently evaluating different password manager options, but the lack of a native Linux client is going to be a problem. I am using Mac, but some colleagues use Linux and other Windows. It looks and works amazing (in my opinion, way better than LastPass) but I'm afraid that we're picking LastPass only because of the better Linux support.

If I can tell my boss that you're going to do something with Linux in the future, he may accept to use the webpage for now.

Greetings and keep up the great work!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@unreal4u, @nvision: Thanks so much for the kind words of encouragement! I'm sorry to say that we don't have anything to announce for our Linux fans right now, but I hope we'll be able to tackle it in the future. :)

• shengruoyu
    shengruoyu
    Community Member

+1 for a native Linux version!!

• hollandlef
    hollandlef
    Community Member

+1 to a native Linux version!

• bucky
    bucky
    Community Member

+1 for a native linux version.

• bucky
    bucky
    Community Member

+1 for a native linux version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bucky, @hollandlef, @shengruoyu: Thanks for letting us know you'd also like us to create a Linux version! :)

• rberger
    rberger
    Community Member

Is there a way to have people in our company on Linux boxes use 1password for teams?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

No @rberger. Teams doesn't even support Windows yet.

This discussion has been closed.