1Password Logins bookmarklet

Justin Case
Justin Case
Community Member
For the majority of web sites it is perfectly ok to just fill the login and passowrd fields to get signed in.
However, for banking web sites this is not always true. Many of those require to will in fields like:
branch number
account number
sub acccount number
pin

The bookmarklet generated by the Mac OSX 1Password will only fill the login and password fields, which for the above case would be interpreted as the sub account number and the pin. This will, however, not sign you in because the branch number and account number are missing. Hence, bookmarklet is not working in such cases and you will have to provide the login info manually.

It would be good to fix this, so that all fields provided in 1Password are also filled.

Comments

• Justin Case
    Justin Case
    Community Member
    I understand that Bookmarklets are nice if they are self-contained, such that they will even work in environments where you dont have a 1Password client in background.

The drawback of this is that you need to sync your bookmarks every time you changed your passwords on the Windows/Mac client.
    Also you do need a windows or Mac CLient to use this feature. Also due to improper Bookmarklet updating with Safari (see my other posting) syncing is a pain.

How about a second kind of Bookmarklet where the JavaScript code of this Bookmarklet is static and directly using the Agile keychain (be it on IOS, OSX or Windows). This way the bookmarklet can be installed by any of the 1Password clients, and it will always be up to date. No need to sync bookmarks if you change passwords. If you change them locally, no sync is needed at all. If change remotely, sync happens silently via Dropbox.

The user may choose which kind of Bookmarklet to install (or just both) and use.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Sorry for the trouble here, Justin. As stated in the warning when you created the bookmarklet:

IMPORTANT: The bookmarklet data cannot be protected when used on a malicious web site. It is recommended that you limit its use to non-critical web logins. Use the native 1Password application for iPhone/iPod touch for the greatest security. It is available for purchase in the iTunes App Store.

While banks are not the only sites to require different fields to be filled in, I would strongly suggest using the mobile app in conjunction with the "Look Up in 1Password" bookmarklet. Click this link on your iPhone and follow the instructions to install it. It requires 1Password to be installed on your device.

I don't know that further improvements are planned for the "1Password Logins" bookmarklet. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer, but please browse carefully.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
  • Justin Case
    Justin Case
    Community Member
    Hi Khad,

thanks for pointing out that lookup bookmarklet, which I was not aware of. It was easily installed.

While this lookup bookmarklet is part of what I meant by a bookmarklet that uses the agile keychain, it does not go as far as I hoped for. It will bring up the right entries in the 1P App (which I do own), but then you would have to copy n paste all 4 fields for that bank login, which is way too cumbersome. Then you could rather just press the URL button to get logged in immediately within the 1P browser.

What I was hoping for and do suggest now is that when you look up using the bookmarklet, if you tap the right login entry, it will fill the text fields in Safari and sends the form off to get signed in. (It would save the user 1 more tap and also you would still work in Safari instead of the 1P browser, which is different). I guess that would be feasible to implement?

Best,
    JC

khad wrote:

Sorry for the trouble here, Justin. As stated in the warning when you created the bookmarklet:

While banks are not the only sites to require different fields to be filled in, I would strongly suggest using the mobile app in conjunction with the "Look Up in 1Password" bookmarklet. Click this link on your iPhone and follow the instructions to install it. It requires 1Password to be installed on your device.

I don't know that further improvements are planned for the "1Password Logins" bookmarklet. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer, but please browse carefully.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    I guess that would be feasible to implement?

Not exactly. Apple does not allow iOS apps to interact, but we have some tricks up our sleeves. :-)

Is the site filling properly in 1Password's built-in browser, though?

Please let me know. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.