Cant uninstall chrome extension 5 mac for mac to allow a version 4 install

Options
jade_h
jade_h
Community Member

hi. I have 1Password4 for mac. i downloaded version 5 to trial. I don't want to upgrade to 5. The trial has now expired. This is ok because i am using the version 4 application. the chrome extension, however, shows that the trial has expired and I cant remove this.

I dont know how to register with my 1Password4 licence or alternatively 'downgrade' the extension. i have tried to delete extension and re-install through the preference menu of the 1Password4 application but this doesnt work.

i have installed both 1Password 4 and version 5 on my computer. Maybe i need to uninstall 1Password5? Will this help? how? thanks

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: 4.5.2.90
OS Version: 10.11.2 (15C50)
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:chrome extension

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jade_h,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with 1Password! I think this is mostly due to some confusion about the app and extension versions and your license, and I think I can help solve this by clearing that up.

I have 1Password4 for mac. i downloaded version 5 to trial. I don't want to upgrade to 5. The trial has now expired.

1Password 4 runs best on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and 10.8 (Mountain Lion). You should definitely be using 1Password 5 or 6 on OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). Is there a reason why you don't want to upgrade? If you have a license for 1Password 4, the upgrades to 1Password 5 and 6 are completely free, so there shouldn't be any reason to want to go back to version 4.

If you're getting a "Trial Expired" message, it sounds like you simply need to activate 1Password 5 or 6 with your license file. We have information about that message here: "Trial Expired" notice (Mac)

I searched our system for the email address from your forum account and I see that you do indeed have a license for 1Password 4/5/6 for Mac. We just released version 6 this week, and you can install it by checking for updates from the 1Password 5 app. I had your license info sent to your email in case you need a copy - you can simply click a link in that email to apply your 1Password license.

the chrome extension, however, shows that the trial has expired and I cant remove this.

The extension itself doesn't expire - it's showing you that message because the main app is in trial mode and the trial is expired. To remove that message from the extension, you need to activate the main app.

I dont know how to register with my 1Password4 licence or alternatively 'downgrade' the extension. i have tried to delete extension and re-install through the preference menu of the 1Password4 application but this doesnt work.

The same extension is used for versions 4, 5, and 6 of 1Password. The version of the extension doesn't match the version of the main app. Currently, the latest version of the extension is 4.5.2. Again, the extension is not the problem here, so there's no need to uninstall or reinstall it. You just need to activate the main 1Password app.

I hope this helps, but please let us know if you're still having trouble with that or if you have any questions. Thanks! :)

• jade_h
    jade_h
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for the detailed help. much appreciated. all sorted. regards

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for letting us know things are good again @jade_h :smile:

• jade_h
    jade_h
    Community Member
    Options

hi Drew

the problem has re-appeared. the licence info that you sent through was only for 1 password3. Are you sure i have a 1password4 licence?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @jade_h,

You definitely have a valid licence for 1Password 6.

Can I just confirm, you went through steps similar to those details in How do I add my license to 1Password? and you reach a point where you could use the menu option 1Password 6 > Licence... and you see something that likes very much like this

but at some point later it reverts back to saying you're in a trial, almost as if the licence has been removed?

Just to add, if the email you received didn't have a link to download a licence file (1Password 4 and newer all use a licence file rather than a key) then we've potentially found the source of the confusion. If you can let us know if that is the case we have a way of manually resolving it.

• jade_h
    jade_h
    Community Member
    Options

Yup - the email I received didn't have a link to download a licence file

• @jade_h I just resent your license. Do you see a Click here to Apply Your 1Password License link in that email?

• jade_h
    jade_h
    Community Member
    Options

hi. No - cant see that. I only see the following...

1Password 3 for Mac
    Family License
    Name: Jade Hamburger
    Key: xxxxxxxxx
    Download: https://agilebits.com/downloads
    Register: Select 1Password > License… and paste the above information.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @jade_h,

I've just altered the records like I did for somebody else with this issue and sent you a new email with the details. Do you now see a new single entry for 1Password for Mac & Windows?

• jade_h
    jade_h
    Community Member
    Options

yup - thanks. sorted. appreciate the help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of lil bobby, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.