Apple watch says "Requires Pro Features", checked phone on app says Pro Features "Purchased"

whome
whome
Community Member

Have rebooted both devices (iphone/apple watch), uninstalled/reloaded the app, checked to make sure all settings on phone are enabled and everytime I try to login to my app from phone it "Requires Pro Features", even though the app on the iphone states Pro Features are "Purchased", provide fix please.

1Password Version: 6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 9.2
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:Apple watch says to install "Requires Pro Features", checked phone on app says "Purchased"

Comments

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni

Hi @whome,

sorry for the troubles you are having with our Apple Watch app. Do I assume correctly that you enabled the Apple Watch app from 1Password > Settings > Apple Watch?

Did you add items to the Apple Watch from your iPhone already? Also how many vaults do you have on your iPhone?

• whome
    whome
    Community Member

App is enabled with in 1password as described, Not sure about the question "did I add items", but if you mean other apps besides 1password the answer is yes, all apps installed when I paired with the phone. I have "One Vault" that I have been using.

thanks so much,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@whome: Just follow the monkey! :chuffed:

1Password for Apple Watch setup

Unless you "Add to Apple Watch" in the item details, it will not show up there. And 1Password on your Apple Watch will continue to display that message until it gets some data. It simply has no way of knowing why it doesn't have any items — thus the message that says "You can add items from the 1Password app on your phone"...but for some reason people seem to only read the smaller "Requires Pro Features" message below that. ;)

1Password does not send all of your data to your Watch automatically, as that could be a bit of a mess and make it difficult to find what you're looking for on the small screen. So you can add only the items you want individually. I hope this helps! :)

• whome
    whome
    Community Member

Okay GREAT! Now I understand the premise of the statement. Maybe "Requires Pro Features" should be removed, because it is being seen as a statement of CAUSE.

thanks so much for your help,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! I'm so sorry for the confusion.

And thanks so much for the feedback! However, like I said, there just isn't any way for the app on the Watch to know why it has no data, and there are always two possibilities:

1. You haven't added any items (manually, in their details on the iPhone)
    2. You can't add any items (without the Pro upgrade in the iPhone app)

The reason for this is that the Watch app runs on the iPhone itself, which then transmits data over Bluetooth. The app then just says "I don't have anything to show, so I'll show the default message (which refers to the possible causes)". It's definitely something we'd like to improve in the future, as we're able to make the Watch app more powerful, and there may be better solutions down the road as watchOS matures as well.

Anyway, it sounds like you should be all set, but be sure to reach out if you have any other questions! :)

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

So I'm getting this message despite the fact that I have added items on my phone. I tap it and then I can see them. I must say, I'm trying to exploit the opportunity to use 1PW on the Watch. However, I haven't found it very useful so far. It takes more time to look up a PIN on the watch than it does to get it via the iPhone.

I also find the PIN entry to get into the app very ponderous.

I know it is early days for the 1PW Watch app, but unless it is faster to get to the info via your wrist than fishing a phone from your pocket, few people will use it in anger.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

So I'm getting this message despite the fact that I have added items on my phone. I tap it and then I can see them. I must say, I'm trying to exploit the opportunity to use 1PW on the Watch. However, I haven't found it very useful so far. It takes more time to look up a PIN on the watch than it does to get it via the iPhone.

@Penelope Pitstop: I couldn't agree more! 1Password for Apple Watch is primarily useful to me when my iPhone isn't handy. It isn't ideal at all, and it's something we intend to rectify in the future. Thanks for the honest — and practical — criticism!

I also find the PIN entry to get into the app very ponderous.

Frankly, I don't use a PIN myself for this very reason. And the fact that I have my Watch set to lock when it's removed and require a long passcode itself makes me comfortable with that. Currently there just isn't a nice way of doing it, so we have a PIN. I'm hopeful that we'll have more tools at our disposal in the near-ish future.

I know it is early days for the 1PW Watch app, but unless it is faster to get to the info via your wrist than fishing a phone from your pocket, few people will use it in anger.

This has been my experience too. It's too slow...but this unfortunately seems to apply to all of the Watch apps I've used, both using the old and new SDK. Even Apple's apps are often dreadfully slow. While I think this is mainly due to the "conservative" performance characteristics of first generation hardware, I'm really hoping that watchOS brings optimizations that help with this. Otherwise I won't get faster apps without buying a faster Watch. :tongue:

That said, we'd like to overhaul the 1Password Apple Watch app and see if we can make it more useful — and faster. Given that WWDC is right around the corner, we're holding our breath for a bit to see what develops, since it may mean starting from scratch to take advantage of new possibilities. So while it's a bit of a drag right now, rest assured it's on our agenda to reinvigorate our Apple Watches. :)

This discussion has been closed.