Why does my 1P have 2 vaults, labeled Primary and 1Password? Can I delete the 1Password vault?

Options
Gavornik
Gavornik
Community Member

I do not recall setting up the vault labeled "1Password" (perhaps I did it years ago when first setting up 1P v.3-ish and just forgot?). I only work from the vault labeled "Primary," which quickly syncs to the vault labeled "1Password."

Two questions: #1, Can I delete the vault labeled "1Password"? #2, If not, how do I default to just seeing the Primary vault instead of the "All Vaults" default in 1P 6.0--which shows duplicates of everything (i.e., shows everything in "Primary" and everything in "1Password" vaults, which are duplicates of each other.

Much thank for the GREAT work you do to make my digital life much easier and highly secure.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: OS X 10.11.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: ug:mac/add-items-to-a-vault, ug:mac/share-a-vault, ug:mac/1passwordanywhere, ug:ios/, kb:how-dropbox-syncs

Comments

• Jacob
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hey @Gavornik! 1Password is actually the default filename for the Primary vault when syncing it elsewhere. Since you're syncing with Dropbox, the file should be 1Password.opvault or 1Password.agilekeychain depending on the format you're using. :wink:

Two questions: #1, Can I delete the vault labeled "1Password"?

I would not recommend it. :lol: At least not with the above in mind.

2, If not, how do I default to just seeing the Primary vault instead of the "All Vaults" default in 1P 6.0--which shows duplicates of everything (i.e., shows everything in "Primary" and everything in "1Password" vaults, which are duplicates of each other.

That, on the other hand, makes me think you may have two vaults configured. If you do, how many items are in each of them? Are they exactly the same? I'm also curious about the sync settings for them. Could you click the 1Password menu, click Preferences, and switch to the Sync tab? Then select each vault and let us know where it's configured to sync.

Much thank for the GREAT work you do to make my digital life much easier and highly secure.

You're welcome! So glad we've made an impact. We love hearing such things. :love:

• Gavornik
    Gavornik
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Penderworth,

Wow. A <24-hour quick-turn non-boilerplate reply to just an average-Joe single user like me. Pretty impressive AgileBits support. Thank you!

Your comments/questions point me towards deleting the vault labelled "Primary" (probably my word choice of a file name when first setting up 1P years ago) in favor of just using the vault labeled "1Password" for my primary account vault. Here is my thinking:

• (Answer to your question) Both "Primary" and "1Password" are currently synced via the same path to my Dropbox 1Password folder file "1Password.agilekeychain"
    • (Answer to my question) In 1P, Preferences>>All Vaults, both "Primary" and "1Password" vaults (which sync to have exactly identical content) are checked next to "Vaults Included" (hence, I see duplicates of everything when I open 1P 6.0; unchecking "Primary" eliminates the duplicates problem)
    • (Answer to your question) In 1P, Preferences>>All Vaults>>Vaults for Saving, "Primary" is selected. I save to the vault labeled "Primary." Shortly after I save anything new in "Primary," the vault labeled "1Password" is updated to be an exact copy of "Primary." Except for a short delay when I first make new entries in "Primary," both vaults show the exact same number of items next to "All Items" (i.e., 213 items)

So, here is what I propose doing:
    (1) Make sure both "Primary" and "1Password" are in exact sync.
    (2) In Preferences>>All Vaults>>"Vaults for Saving," select "1Password."
    (3) Then delete my vault labeled "Primary" and just work with the "1Password" vault, which will be my primary vault by default (also my only vault at that point).

Once Primary is deleted I will only have one primary vault labeled "1Password." Next, I plan to set up separate new sub-vaults to share limited data sets with my family members via Dropbox and their Apple laptops/iPads/iPhones, all running your amazing 1Password apps.

Does this make sense? Your thoughts please.

Best,
    Pete

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Gavornik: I think you're on the right track, but there's one important thing you left out that could make all the difference: backup your data! A fresh backup affords you two luxuries:

1. Don't sweat it: just go for it. You have a backup, so no need to worry.
    2. Made the wrong call? No problem! Just restore, and then you know which one you want.

Once you have that sorted out and are confident, you can go about organizing everything in a more permanent fashion. Be sure to let us know how it turns out, and if you have any other questions! :)

• Gavornik
    Gavornik
    Community Member
    Options

Sage advice. Thanks Brenty!
    Burnt bad once before, long ago, I keep multiple on-site/off-site backups. Will proceed as outlined.
    Very much appreciate yours/AgileBits excellent support.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you! And thank you so much for backing up! I'll sleep a little bit better now. :sunglasses:

This discussion has been closed.