6.0.1 is folder sync broken? painfully slow if it works

Options
J_schwinn
J_schwinn
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Mac

6.0.1 is folder sync broken? painfully slow if it works at all. Was working fine in 5.x

thanks, j

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: folder/network

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@J_schwinn: Slow in what way? It's always been instantaneous, from a human perspective. But your Sync Type: folder/network gives me pause. If you're trying to sync to a network drive, Don't. Your data may become damaged if the drive goes offline while in use, but more relevant to your original question, network performance won't have anything to do with 1Password...but it can certainly have an impact on responsiveness. Please let me know what you find!

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty

Slow in what way?

Click to choose the folder... minutes... click to sync... minutes... it eventually finds it. I can share screens, open folders/drives etc without any problems. This seems to be specific to 1p 6.0.1.

Thanks for the response. If the only problem would be that the network may go offline, wouldn't that also be true of a cloud drive? Or your network fails while accessing the your cloud data?

thanks,

j

• Hi @J_schwinn ,

Approximately how many items do you have in your vault? I've been trying to reproduce your issue with approximately 100 items, but the first sync in less than a minute. Have you tried this on a local drive?

To answer your question on network drives, when using iCloud the app uses CloudKit APIs to access the network data. CloudKit manages the integrity of the data by acting as an intermediary. With Dropbox, 1Password syncs with a local folder on your disk and the Dropbox app maintains the integrity by ensuring all of the files get synced together. Writing to a network drive doesn't have a framework doing that for us. Network drives are great for reading and saving to single files such as documents, but when your database depends on many different files all being up to date at the same time, problems can arise when the network suddenly becomes unavailable when trying to update several files directly.

Regards,
    Kevin

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member
    Options

I have 818 items. But I don't think the size is the problem, because the lag is consistent with each of the steps to sync, starting with simply trying to pull up the window to choose the folder (before even trying to sync). The same problem on 2 computers, I will try again today and take better notes.

thanks for the info on the cloud v. network.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @J_schwinn,

Just to make sure I understand - are you saying that when you go to Preferences > Sync in 1Password, change the sync setting for your vault from None to Folder, and then click the Choose button, there's a delay for several minutes before you see the standard dialog to choose a location?

Or, do you mean the above steps are fine, but once you select a network location (and click Open), it takes several minutes before you see the Create New (or Merge with Existing) button in the 1Password sync settings?

If you can let us know the specific point at which the delay starts happening, we should have a better understanding of the problem. Thanks!

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew

All of the above, delays at all steps. But I can check again tonight, let me do a little homework first before you spend any more time on this.

thanks

j

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @J_schwinn,

Thanks for following up. If you haven't yet rebooted the Mac since the update, that may also help to clear out some cobwebs and improve app performance.

Take your time, but we look forward to hearing back from you about this when you have a chance. Cheers!

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member
    Options

I had a chance to test it again on both Macs and each worked OK. As you mentioned it may have needed to clean out the cobwebs after the upgrade.

Feel free to delete this this thread. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No need to delete, especially since it may help someone else in the future. And also this way if you need to follow up at all just let us know. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.