1Password Anywhere deprecated?

Options
clanger9
clanger9
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Mac

I was just looking at upgrading my vault from .agilekeychain to .opvault and I came across this thread about 1Password Anywhere being no longer supported.

I understand the logic behind this, but 1Password Anywhere has always been a lifesaver for me when I've needed access to a stored password without internet access or having a registered device to hand. Not that I don't trust you guys (and I'm sure 1Password for Teams is an awesome product), but 1Password Anywhere really works well for me in these situations. Heck, I had to use it just now on my work machine to retrieve my login details for this forum...

I noticed in the discussion linked above that @brenty said 'I'm warming up to the idea of accessing 1Password in any web browser without having to plan for that ahead of time.' I'd like to add my wholehearted support to this! 1Password is a great product, but without continued support for 1Password Anywhere, it would be a lot less useful for me.

I do hope you can find a way to retain this feature - especially in the .opvault format. I agree it's not the easiest thing to implement (and it's the sort of feature that's easy to overlook until you really need it), but for me this is the single stand-out feature of 1Password over the competition.

Please don't lose it!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@clanger9: Well...I think you may have misinterpreted what I said. My remarks were directed at the 1Password for Teams web interface, which is the spiritual successor to 1PasswordAnywhere. The problem with 1PasswordAnywhere is that it's based on old standards, and built into the old vault format. Something like that just isn't possible with OPVault.

Now, you can continue using 1PasswordAnywhere and AgileKeychain, perhaps in definitely, with one key caveat: it depends heavily on a 3rd party service — namely, Dropbox. Over the years they've made changes that broke it, and so far they've been very accommodating in resolving these issues. But I suspect that one day they'll just have to do what's right for their site even if it's wrong for 1PasswordAnywhere. A lot has changed, and browsers themselves used to be more accommodating too.

It's a cool feature, but it is highly situational and dependent. My comment was regarding the fact that in order to use 1PasswordAnywhere at all, you have to anticipate needing it, and have it setup somewhere internet-accessible. 1Password for Teams doesn't have this limitation, or a dependence on an old format, or on another company to host it. Again, I'm sorry for not being clearer, and be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

• clanger9
    clanger9
    Community Member
    Options

OK, got it. Thanks for the clear reply!

I can see the technical limitations with 1Password Anywhere and understand why you'd prefer to offer these features through 1Password for Teams. Also, the dependency on DropBoc playing nice is a definite concern and I can see why you wouldn't want that in your product.

In that case, if you could find a way to at least offer the "access anywhere" functionality of the Teams product without needing a subscription beforehand, then that would go a long way towards what I need. I certainly don't need all the Teams feature, just the ability to access my vault through a web browser.

I hope you can look at this, as it would certainly be a better long-term solution than 1Password Anywhere...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @clanger9,

Thanks so much for the feedback here! We appreciate that many people love the convenience of 1PasswordAnywhere, and we are looking into options for the future. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Also, the dependency on DropBoc playing nice is a definite concern and I can see why you wouldn't want that in your product.

@clanger9: To be clear, I love Dropbox, and we've enjoyed a great relationship with them as a company as well. I don't want anyone to get the impression that we have anything but love there. I'm just pointing out that it is a dependency, and like AgileBits needs to do what's best for 1Password, Dropbox needs to do what's best for their product as well.

Thanks again for letting us know how you'd like to use 1Password. That will help us make the best decisions going forward! :)

This discussion has been closed.