1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini [resolved by using Archive Utility to unzip 1Password]

Torsten_Haase
Torsten_Haase
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Mac

Hello,

1Password 6.0.1 didn't start, the "failure 1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" pops up after a short time. Before i tryed 1Password 6 i had installed first time 1Password 5.4.1, with this version it was the same failure. In the time between the 2 Versions i upgraded the Mac to El Capitan. I try some Troubleshooting Steps i have found in the Forum, but nothing works.

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:error-connect-to-mini

Comments

• Torsten_Haase
    Torsten_Haase
    Community Member

I had installed both Versions with the agilebits File.

• Hey @Torsten_Haase! Sorry for the trouble. Have you looked for additional copies of 1Password on your system, or on an external drive? That's the main cause of this issue. Your mention of upgrading to El Capitan also brings up a potential cause for the issue, which is the extended attributes of the app. A fix for that is mentioned in this knowledge base article, but it's not updated for version 6. The command should now be:

xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 6.app

Does that help get things sorted? :)

• Torsten_Haase
    Torsten_Haase
    Community Member

Hello,

i searched with the spotlight search of OS X, they found no other copies, i also tryed to start with disconnected external HDD i use for Time Machine backups. I also followed all the steps of the knowledge base article include the command for the quarantine problem, i modified the command by myself to version 6. I tryed the quarantine command one more time, it was exactly the same like yesterday, the problem still exists.

• Hi @Torsten_Haase,

Could you try two things for me?

1. Could you make sure that the 1Password app is in /Applications
    2. Could you try rebooting your Mac? Rebooting in this case causes a rebuild of a launchd database on the system, and we're reliant on launchd connecting us to mini.

If it doesn't work after both of those, I'd like to get a Diagnostics Report from you which will hopefully show us what's going on. Sending a Diagnostics Report is as simple as following the instructions on this page. Email it to support+forums@agilebits.com. Please include a link to this forum thread in the email so that we can connect the dots. You should get a response right away from our support system giving you a support request id. Feel free to put that in this forum thread so that we can easily jump between the two.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Rick

• Torsten_Haase
    Torsten_Haase
    Community Member

Hi rickfillion,

the 1Password App is in is Applications, we use MAC OSX with german language, my colleagues too and there 1Password is running.

I had rebootet my MAC more then one time today, it doesn't help.

I created an Diag Report now and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com.

Thanks

Torsten

• Torsten_Haase
    Torsten_Haase
    Community Member

Here the Support ID [#QAQ-95774-739]

• Hi Torsen, since you have already downloaded the 1Password Troubleshooting utility, try launching it and selecting "Reset Launch Services" under the Launch Services tab. That forces a rebuild of the launch services database.

• Hi @Torsten_Haase,

I've taken a look at your diagnostics report and have sent you an email with recommended next steps.

Rick

• Torsten_Haase
    Torsten_Haase
    Community Member

Hi, i completed the steps to download and install a new file of 1Password 6.0.1 rickfillion recommended to me, the failure still exists, after that i created a Diag Report an send it to the support email address. Later i tryed the "Reset Launch Services" chadseld recommended without an effect.

• This thread has been moved over to email. We're still looking into what's going on here.

Rick

• Torsten_Haase
    Torsten_Haase
    Community Member

We found the Problem, it was a failure within unzip the Install File. I used the integrated unzip Tool of the TotalCommander before, Rick Fillion commended me to use the unzip Tool of MAC OS and now 1Password is running fine.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for following up to confirm that solved the problem! I'm happy to hear 1Password is working for you now. You should be all set, but if you have any questions or run into more problems, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.