Lost all passwords on update

Options
Rickster
Rickster
Community Member

I just updated to 1password 6 and after the update all passwords are gone. The updater asked me to delete older versions (1 password 4, and 1 password 4.app.

Can I get my passwords back. You guys can do better.

1Password Version: 6.01
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac 10.11.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Rickster:

The updater asked me to delete older versions (1 password 4, and 1 password 4.app.

What the updater actually asked was for you to delete any duplicate app files. Did you by any chance use an app cleaner tool when you deleted the app file? (I ask only because those tools have a reputation for encouraging people to delete files they need to keep: like the 1P data files.)

Just in case you've deleted the data files please tell us:

• Whether you have a recent backup of your Mac
    • Whether you previously sync'd your 1P data to any other device and, if so, to what device and what sync method you used

Stephen

• Rickster
    Rickster
    Community Member
    Options

No app cleaner. Just dragged to the trash. And no, no other devices.

• Rickster
    Rickster
    Community Member
    Options

I also have a backup, but a few months old.

• Rickster
    Rickster
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, also, I still have the old folders (did not delete the trash). There are a bunch of zip files in the backup folders. Can I use one of them to somehow to get back the data? The file is labeled: 1Password 2016-01-10 09_30_14 (1 profiles, 135 items, 0 folders, 1 attachments).1p4_zip

• Hi @Rickster,

First, thanks for taking the time to contact us. We are deeply sorry you are having trouble with the update. We have good news though, it certainly appears your data will be recoverable.

FYI, You passwords are not stored in the app. They are typically stored in ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ The Updater should only ask you to remove .app files. However, I will check to make sure the updater can not accidentally advise you to remove the data folder.

Since you still have the folders in the trash, your passwords are not gone. There are two ways to get the data back:

1. Copy that backup zip file to the desktop. Then, in 1Password, open the Preferences and choose Backup. Click Find Backup and navigate to the zip file that you copied to your desktop and open it. That should restore all of your passwords, assuming that backup file was made before you upgraded. If not, search for an older zip file and use that.

2. If the first option doesn't work, you can solve this by putting the 1Password 4 folder back in the "~/Library/Application Support" folder. Note, the upgrade would have created a new one. So here's how to do it safely:

• Quit 1Password and 1Password mini by holding down control and selecting the command from the 1Password Menu in the app.
    • Go to ~/Library/Application Support in the Finder. To do this easily, choose Go To Folder… and paste ~/Library/Application Support in the field.
    • Rename the 1Password 4 folder to 1Password 4 (to trash) or something similar.
    • Drag the 1Password 4 folder back to the Application Support folder.
    • Start 1Password again. It should accept your master password and show all of your data. If not, please let us know right away.

I hope that solves your issue. If you have any further questions and concerns, please contact us.

Regards,
    Kevin

• amy_jo
    amy_jo
    Community Member
    Options

I am having this problem too. I sent in diagnostics - how long does it normally take to hear back?

• Hi @amy_jo,

Our team is working very hard to answer emails as quickly as possible. I saw in this other thread that you were able to get your data restored, so I am glad to hear that.

• Rickster
    Rickster
    Community Member
    Options

ag_kevin -

Thank you for your help. Great Support!! I have my passwords back.

• amy_jo
    amy_jo
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Impressed with your customer service. Thank you!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Rickster and @amy_jo,

On behalf of my teammates who have helped you here and via email, you're most welcome! We're glad that you were both able to resolve the issue and restore your saved 1Password data, and we hope you both enjoy the new 1Password 6! :)

We're always here to help if anything else should come up. Cheers!

• amy_jo
    amy_jo
    Community Member
    Options

It happened from either your update or my my OS X Security Update. It disabled the auto filling in of passwords. I see others talking about same issue - just thought I'd pass it on.

• Hi amy_jo,

Thanks for that bit of information. We'll take that into account if we see it happen again.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.