I'm thinking of migrating from Roboform

pgh1949
pgh1949
Community Member

I'm thinking of migrating from Roboform and have followed this procedure but my 1Password on my Mac doesn't have an import html option. I've taken the html file, imported into Excel then resaved it as a csv file but this doesn't import properly. How can I get my several hundred logins and personal data into 1Password please?

1Password Version: 6.01
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.2
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb-search:roboform, kb:import-roboform, kb-search:roboform, kb:import, kb:import-roboform

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@pgh1949 use the converter referred to in the first post in this thread. It was produced by someone who is a very active moderator on this forum and who is really helpful with any conversion issues.

Stephen

• pgh1949
    pgh1949
    Community Member

Thanks for that, it looks just what I need. I've tried it without success so far - I keep getting various errors but I'll work on those and if I can't get it to work I'll post on the converter thread. rather than here.

• pgh1949
    pgh1949
    Community Member

OK, I've got just about what I wanted. I tried using an older version of Roboform in a Windows 7 virtual machine so as to get the full URL's but I kept getting lots of encoding errors with Unicode characters. I gave up on that and used Roboform 2.3.0 in OS X 10.11.2 and with a bit of editing to remove a troublesome record I managed to convert everything else. I'll leave it at that for now so thanks again for the pointer.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@pgh1949 I'll ping @MrC, the author of the utility, who'll come along and offer some help.

Stephen

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @pgh1949,

I'm happy to work with you if you have any issues (still). I'm not sure all that you've done, but the aim of the converters is that you should not have to futz with your exported data. If there are problems with the converters, I'd like to know about them.

Are you able to help me understand the "troublesome record"?

• pgh1949
    pgh1949
    Community Member

Again, thanks for taking such an interest. I had two problems, first off I was using an old (V6.9.93) version of Roboform which I installed in a Windows 7 virtual machine so that I could access the full URL data in the export as the current version running under OS X 10.11.2 doesn't support this type of export. Once I'd got the html file I used the utility as designed on my Mac and got the following error message:

Peters-MacBook-Air:convert_to_1p4 Peter$ cd '/Users/Peter/Desktop/convert_to_1p4/' && /usr/bin/perl5.16 convert_to_1p4.pl roboform '/Users/Peter/Desktop/roboform.htm' -v
    utf8 "\xFF" does not map to Unicode at Utils/Utils.pm line 78 (#1)
    (F) When reading in different encodings Perl tries to map everything
    into Unicode characters. The bytes you read in are not legal in
    this encoding, for example

utf8 "\xE4" does not map to Unicode

if you try to read in the a-diaereses Latin-1 as UTF-8.

utf8 "\xFE" does not map to Unicode at Utils/Utils.pm line 78 (#1)
    Unexpected RoboForm print list format; please report your platform and version of RoboForm

This was too much for me so I then used Roboform Version: 2.3.0 [s-f] on my Mac to create another html file which again I ran through the utility. This time the error message referred to a "duplicate field" called something like "user-passport" (I can't remember the exact wording now). I looked in the original Robform data and found it referenced in one login so I deleted that login and re-ran the utility again. This time it worked as designed and I got my file for importing into 1Password. Admittedly the URL's were not perfect but I expected that given the limitations of the current Roboform print/export routine. I can't reproduce the error now as I've cleaned up the original file!

As I said, I am happy with the data I have got and it's much easier correcting any deficient URL's than having to recreate the complete data set.

If you can make sense of the error message and can suggest a way round it I can re-run the export and get the complete URL's.

Many thanks again, Peter

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2016

@pgh1949 ,

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately I cannot support cross-conversion generally, as the number of combinations to be tested doubles, and the required options users must supply complicates the workflow too much to be very helpful. So the rule is export and convert on the same platform. You exported the 6.x RF data on Windows, but converted on OS X, which violates this rule. That said, I did all of my development on a Mac, and there is a nice little one line trick we can do in this converter to allow you to export on Windows but convert on OS X. Ask if you're interested. Without that, you'll get the error you saw.

About your duplicate user field called "user-passport" - you ran into a sanity check I have in the code to be sure that same-named user fields do not occur in a single record. So, I'll leave this one to the user to rename the field for now. Generally each record should have unique field names, and this code ensures that a password manager's stock or reserved fields are not duplicated either by me in the converter's table of categories and fields, or by the user with some custom field (they are usually indistinguishable).

• pgh1949
    pgh1949
    Community Member

The one line trick sounds interesting, I'd love to give it a go! The other error was only a single record so was trivial to fix.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@pgh1949 ,

Edit the Converters/Roboform.pm file with TextEdit, and find this line (line 182):

#$^O = 'MSWin32';                                                                   # uncomment to test Win exports on OS X

Remove the # character, save the file, and then you can run the converter on OS X with your Windows exported data file.

• pgh1949
    pgh1949
    Community Member

Perfect!! It worked a charm. I had two instances of duplicate field names which I sorted easily but the hundreds of other records have imported properly. You've saved me a few hours work tidying up the other records, I'm extremely grateful and more than a little impressed at the quick responses here. I'll certainly upgrade to the paid version now.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2016

@pgh1949 ,

The aim of all software developers should be to prevent the wasting of hours of user's lives, so from that perspective, we can call this a nice win!

Cheers, and enjoy 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.