Logins Not Working on iPad 2

Can't get logins to works for any web sites
I just purchased 1Password 3.5.7 for my iPad 2. I set up a bunch of logins and none of them work. At first every login I tried caused the URL field to simply flash and nothing happened. I rebooted the iPad and not the URL field doesn't flash but it doesn't successfully login to any of my sites (amazon.com, mobileme.com, msdn.microsoft.com, netflix.com, tripit.com, my.yahoo.com).

1password does not attempt to fill in any login fields automatically after the built in browser launches. On many of these sites, if I manually click the "login" link/button and then select the globe and appropriate login name, then sometimes it will entere the username and password but not complete the login. If I manually click the submit button the button animates to ackowledge that I've clicked it, but nothing else happens and no login is achieved.

Any advice that could be offered would be appreciated. Let me know if any screen shots would help.

Thanks,
Tony

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Welcome to the forums, Tony. I'm sorry that you're having this problem.

Unfortunately, we did not have an iPad 2 in advance of its release, so these issues caught us by surprise as much as they have surprised a small number of our users. I really wish I had a more helpful answer right now, but all I can say is that we are aware of some problems on the iPad 2 and we are working to resolve them and release an update to the iTunes App Store as soon as possible.

Everything you mention sounds consistent with a few other reports we have had, but please let me know if you have any further details.
  • wisceddy
    wisceddy
    Community Member
    I have encountered the same issue: 1Password Pro 3.5.7 on the iPad crashes when completing/filling in username and password from within 1Password. This happens in portrait and landscape mode. It is installed on an iPad 2 running iOS 4.3
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, wisceddy. I'm sorry your first post couldn't be under better circumstances.

We believe we have resolved the issue in the next update, but I do not have a time frame for when the update will be available on the App Store. It needs to go through Apple's approval process (like all App Store updates), so the best way to be aware of the update is to check for updates in the App Store on your iPad. You may even know when the update is available before we do if you check frequently.

Thanks for your patience and understanding here.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    1Password for iPad 3.5.8 is now available on the App Store. This should resolve any form filling problems you were experiencing previously on the iPad 2. I am testing this side by side with the previous version on my own iPad 2 and can reproduce the problem in the old version but cannot duplicate it in 3.5.8 Please let me know if your experience is different!

NOTE: Unfortunately, since Apple approves all apps individually, I don't have a time frame for when the 3.5.8 update will be available for 1Password Pro users. The apps were submitted to the App Store at the same time, so I do hope that this means 1Password Pro 3.5.8 with the same fix will also be available very soon.

aUmn.iPad%20vs%20Pro.jpg
  • Excellent. Thank you for the update. I'll try the new version today and post my results.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We have pounded on it to make it break and cannot seem to in version 3.5.8. :lol:

Please let me know how it turns out for you. I am hopeful that you will have similar positive results.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    1Password Pro 3.5.8 is now also available in the App Store. Both 1Password for iPad and 1Password Pro are at version 3.5.8 now. :-D

Cheers!
  • Jeff
    Jeff
    Community Member
    I am using 1Password Pro 3.5.9 on an original iPad (1), and am having the same "flashing URL bar" problem as described above. In my case, it does actually log in, but throughout the login and thereafter, the URL bar of the browser flashes, sometimes with "about:" in it.

Any ideas?
  • bswins
    edited May 2011
    Jeff wrote:

I am using 1Password Pro 3.5.9 on an original iPad (1), and am having the same "flashing URL bar" problem as described above. In my case, it does actually log in, but throughout the login and thereafter, the URL bar of the browser flashes, sometimes with "about:" in it.

Any ideas?

Jeff,

I was able to replicate your issue using my iPad (iOS 4.3.3). I cannot replicate this issue on my iPhone (Verizon: iOS 4.2.8...)

I deleted the iPad Pro app from my iPad and then reinstalled the app via an iTunes synch.

When I restarted 1P Pro, I chose the option to sync to an existing database, and then I had to enter to codes shown on my iPad screen into a pop up box on my iMac.

Once I did that, 1P Pro works as before. I have no idea what changed, but I'm up and running.

Please try this method and see if it works for you.

Brandt

FYI:
    I also use 1P Pro 3.5.9 and an iPad (1st Gen).
    I had to reset my Pro options (i.e., auto-lock, show all login fields, etc.), but my logins/notes/wallet/etc. were all there.
    In addition, I do use Dropbox synching. If you use Dropbox too, be sure to re-sync Dropbox on your iPad in Settings/Sync/Dropbox.
  • Jeff
    Jeff
    Community Member
    Thanks for the suggestion Brandt. I'm a bit hesitant to start a direct Mac -> iPad WiFi sync because at a previous time, on another device and system, I had some problems migrating from WiFi to DropBox syncing and would prefer not to get into the "duplicates" hassle I did before.

So I wonder if there might be a more direct fix?

BTW the iPod is running 4.3.3.

bswins wrote:

Jeff,

I was able to replicate your issue using my iPad (iOS 4.3.3). I cannot replicate this issue on my iPhone (Verizon: iOS 4.2.8...)

I deleted the iPad Pro app from my iPad and then reinstalled the app via an iTunes synch.

When I restarted 1P Pro, I chose the option to sync to an existing database, and then I had to enter to codes shown on my iPad screen into a pop up box on my iMac.

Once I did that, 1P Pro works as before. I have no idea what changed, but I'm up and running.

Please try this method and see if it works for you.

Brandt

FYI:
    I also use 1P Pro 3.5.9 and an iPad (1st Gen).
    I had to reset my Pro options (i.e., auto-lock, show all login fields, etc.), but my logins/notes/wallet/etc. were all there.
    In addition, I do use Dropbox synching. If you use Dropbox too, be sure to re-sync Dropbox on your iPad in Settings/Sync/Dropbox.
  • Jeff,

Before I suggest a more direct fix, I want to be sure I understand your current setup.

You mentioned that you don't want to get into the "duplicates" hassle as you did before. Are you using Dropbox now? If not, do you normally sync using 1P's WiFi option? Although I opted to use Dropbox recently, for the first couple of months, I used WiFi as my sole synching option.

I'm not sure why my and your iPad suddenly started experiencing the "Flashing URL" issue, but of all the fixes I tried, only a delete/reinstall solved the problem.

If you would give me more details regarding your current sync setup, I'll be happy to offer my opinion on how best to get back to normal with the least possibility of revisiting your past hassles.

Brandt
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Jeff,

Please try restarting your device by holding down both the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears.

This has resolved the issue in every instance I have seen. It may be related to the network stack in iOS which a restart — um, restarts. :-)

Please let me know how it turns out.

Cheers,
  • bswins
    edited May 2011
    khad wrote:

Jeff,

Please try restarting your device by holding down both the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously for at least 10 seconds until the Apple logo appears.

This has resolved the issue in every instance I have seen. It may be related to the network stack in iOS which a restart — um, restarts. :-)

Cheers,

Hmmmm. Wish I had thought about that option first.

Sure beats the slash and burn strategy I suggested, and followed, on my own iPad.

Learn something new every day around here. :)

However, I do wonder why the issue suddenly resurfaced?

Any ideas Khad?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    This is, unfortunately, not something we have been able to nail down. My guess, as I mentioned above, is that there is some kind of bug in the iOS network stack, but that is only a guess. It is not something we have been able to reproduce with any consistency. It can be very hard to create a fix when we are not able to reproduce the problem. :-(
  • khad wrote:

This is, unfortunately, not something we have been able to nail down. My guess, as I mentioned above, is that there is some kind of bug in the iOS network stack, but that is only a guess. It is not something we have been able to reproduce with any consistency. It can be very hard to create a fix when we are not able to reproduce the problem. :-(

Fair enough!

Jeff, if you try Khad's suggestion, please let me know if it worked.

I'd love to know there is an easier solution. :)
  • Jeff
    Jeff
    Community Member
    edited May 2011
    khad, on 14 May 2011 - 07:54 PM, said: Jeff,

This has resolved the issue in every instance I have seen. It may be related to the network stack in iOS which a restart — um, restarts.

Khad, this worked for me as well. :rolleyes:
    I can well appreciate the difficulty of nailing down a non-reproducible problem, so thanks for keeping a stack of workarounds on the tip of your virtual tongue.

Hope it works for you, bswins, as well!

Jeff
  • Jeff wrote:

Hope it works for you, bswins, as well!

Jeff,

Thanks for replying with your results. Since the hard reset worked for you, Khad's streak is still alive!

As for me, since I decided to take the additional 30 steps required to delete/reinstall/resync the Pro app on my iPad, I'll have to wait until it reoccurs, if it ever does.

After this incident, I think I'll always try a reset first. Great example of keep it simple...stupid! :) Anyway, I'm sure someone else will see this thread, and it will save him or her a lot of grief.

Khad does have a bunch of workarounds always at the ready. I wonder if he knows anything about the stock market? If so, I hope he starts a new topic in the Lounge. ;)

Brandt
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    (cash)(dance)(cash)
  • bswins
    edited May 2011
    khad wrote:

The blinking URL field issue occurred on my iPad again this morning. I've only seen this two times...weird.

To add to Khad's excellent advice above, I can add another possible fix: I closed the 1P Pro app and reopened. The blinking has not reoccured...yet.

Between this issue and the turning WiFi off and on again solution mentioned by Brent, I'm beginning to believe there really is a ghost in the iOS machine. :)

Another wonderful example of did you turn it off and on again? Maybe the IT Crew is on to something! :)
This discussion has been closed.