Quicker access to search

mholt
mholt
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Android

First off, nice work on the 6.0 beta for Android. A couple suggestions:

• I like that I can now copy the password from the listings by tapping the menu icon, then tapping the copy icon. By the way the buttons reveal themselves, I expect a swipe to do the same thing, but it doesn't. (Compare to Inbox by Gmail where you can swipe left or right on an email to do an action or reveal options) Or, I'd love for a long tap on the item to copy the username (first time) or password (for the second long tap).

• More important to me, though, is being able to search right away when I open the app. I still have to tap Menu, Categories, All Items, then I can finally search after I tap the search icon. Please make the search available as soon as I open the app, one tap away

Any chance these can get worked in soon? It'll make the app way, way more usable for me. :+1:

1Password Version: 6.0b1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member

Hey there,

I was mostly wondering why I have to select a category to search for something? I realize I can select "All Items" and then search, but that seam really counter-inuitive to me. Why not have the search button present in the general categories menu, and, by default, search in all items?

Thx

1Password Version: 5.0b1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@Xaelias I wrote up exactly the same question and more, albeit not as succinctly as you, in another thread.
    My post:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/271864/#Comment_271864

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

Completely agree about the search. Wrote up my similar suggestions here:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/271864/#Comment_271864

• jonihess
    jonihess
    Community Member

Just wondered the same thing. I switched over from iOS, where the search is on the first page after unlocking. Just one tap and I can find my logins.
    But after switching to android I was very disappointed that it takes a lot of steps to get to the search (it starts with favorites, then open menu, switch to catogories and choose all items and then tap on the search-icon).
    I really hoped that this behavior would have been changed in 1PW 6. But still the same...

• saad
    edited January 2016

Thanks for the feedback on the beta! :)

There are a number of changes that are going into 1Password 6.0 that didn’t quite make the cut for the first beta. One of the top requested feature we get from our users is improving search and making search instantly available after unlocking the vault.

Our team is working towards this goal. We plan to update search in 1Password 6.0 in an upcoming beta release.

ref: OPA-61

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@saad Nice news. I can't wait for it. Its one of the best ones I have ever seen so far.

• saad
    edited January 2016

@mholt Swiping to open the quick action menu in the item list is a feature we plan to add! Thanks for letting us know you like to see this too. :)

ref: OPA-721

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member

I know I have not developed a whole lot of android app (ok you got me, I did one, for myself ^^), but I feel like these changes should not be a lot of work. Especially the search one. 1password is not, UI-wise, a complex application. It has like 5 different screens... But anyway, happy that it's on the list of upcoming changes.

• peri
    edited January 2016

I'm in the same boat as you @Xaelias, as I'm not an Android developer either, so I can't confidently comment on how difficult is is vs. how difficult it theoretically should be to implement. I do know that it's not quite as simple as just adding search, since each item in your vault is encrypted. Then the problem becomes how to search encrypted data without first decrypting everything, and the process becomes more difficult. This is my totally 100% non-dev assessment, though. :lol:

That said, this is certainly high on our want-list (I can make up words right?), so we're definitely planning on getting it added to 1Password on Android.

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member

Well it's probably not that hard since you do it in your "all items" category ;-)

• Like I said, I'm not a developer so I really don't know exactly what it takes. But the good news is that the people who do know (our awesome dev team) are the ones working on it instead of me. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.