What's the best way to backup your master password (in case you forget it)?

pbryanw
pbryanw
Community Member

Hi, I was halfway through typing my master password, as per usual, into 1Password for iOS when my mind went blank and I couldn't remember the middle part of my password. I use quite a complex master password, but I've got so used to typing it into various devices that it's now seared into my subconscious. Anyway, eventually, after about 7 failed attempts, I remembered the forgotten part and was able to log-in.

It made me think about the best method to back-up my master password if, for whatever reason, I couldn't recall it. Is there such a thing as a good method for backing it up, or is it just common to expect lapses of memory like this, and accept them, especially as you get older? Any thoughts appreciated :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@pbryanw - I wrote my password on a piece of paper, which I keep in a secure place. Suggestions for such places include a safe at home or a bank safe deposit box. Maybe that suggestion would suit you also.

This is another way that works for my household. My copy of 1Password contains my wife's master password and hers contains mine. Obviously, an arrangement like that requires the two parties to have complete trust in each other. It may not work for everyone.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

@hawkmoth - Thanks for your reply hawkmoth. The safe/secure place idea sounds like a good one for me, and gives me an excuse to finally purchase a safe for my other valuable items too. Your second suggestion has also triggered some ideas for me. Again, many thanks for your help with this :+1:

• Glad to hear hawkmoth was able to help! If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.