Where do I find my 1Password.agilekeychain folder on a Mac? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Options
justigoo
justigoo
Community Member

I'm trying to set up/use the 1PasswordAnywhere option.

(Basically I want to use my 1Password settings from a friend's Mac in Germany while I'm there, but can manually transfer the data on a USB stick if necessary).

In your instructions (https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/1/en/topic/1passwordanywhere) you say to locate this folder but don't give a clue as to where it might be.

Any idea?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:Where do I find my 1Password.agilekeychain folder on a Mac?, kb:move-vault

Comments

• Hey @justigoo! 1PasswordAnywhere is actually on its way out of the 1Password apps. It's anywhere-availbility features have been implemented in 1Password for Teams instead. That doesn't mean you can't still use it, though. Are you syncing your data anywhere on your Mac at the moment? To use 1PasswordAnywhere, you need to set up syncing. One of these two methods will work:

Dropbox Sync

Folder Sync

Before you set them up, you can ensure that 1Password generates a vault in the Agile Keychain format. Just click the Help menu with the app open and hover over Tools. If you see that Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder sync is checked, click it to disable it. If it's not checked, just leave it. Then set up the sync method that you prefer following the guides linked to above.

Lastly, you'll need to add the 1PasswordAnywhere index.html file to your vault since it is no longer being created automatically. You can download the file over here. To add it to your Agile Keychain vault, navigate to the vault in Finder, right-click it, and click Show Package Contents, then move the index.html file into that folder.

And that's it! All you have to do to use 1PasswordAnywhere is double-click the index.html file and it will open in a browser. Let us know if you have any questions about it. :)

• justigoo
    justigoo
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, thanks for that, but you still haven't answered the question.

I've unchecked 'Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder Sync'.

'Then set up the sync method that you prefer following the guides linked to above.' - I don't really know what this means. The guides linked to above are about setting up Anywhere, and involve finding an Agile Keychain folder. There's no mention of sync.

'Lastly, you'll need to add the 1PasswordAnywhere index.html file to your vault since it is no longer being created automatically. You can download the file over here. To add it to your Agile Keychain vault, navigate to the vault in Finder, right-click it, and click Show Package Contents, then move the index.html file into that folder.'

I still have no idea where the Agile Keychain vault/folder/file is?

In fact I have no idea why this process is so complex? I'm not used to scurrying about doing microsurgery in obscure labyrinthine corners of my Mac. Yes, from time to time it's necessary, but this is pretty insane. And you have the gall to comment 'And that's it!' like it's SO easy!

Sorry but, although I have spent way too many hours of my life in front of a screen, I am not a natural tech geek. I don't really understand what you mean by vault (they're metal things in old movies).

I just want to access my 1Password data from a friend's Mac.

I have a Dropbox account but got unstuck when I tried to sync my 1Password with Dropbox. 1Password was looking for something on my Mac but my Dropbox is online. ?

I think it'll just be simpler to manually copy/paste the data onto a USB.

Unless you can talk me through a procedure that I have a hope of following?

Thanks for your time anyway, appreciated, even if it's gobbledegook to me.

J.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @justigoo,

I'm terribly sorry for all the confusion! I know that can be frustrating. I can definitely help to make sense of it all!

It's actually much easier than it probably seems right now, but the thing that's causing a lot of confusion is that the instructions you found (i.e. the link in your first post) are for the Windows version of 1Password (and not even the latest version of 1Password for Windows, but a much older version).

The Mac and Windows versions of 1Password work much differently from each other, and one of those differences is in how they each store data. 1Password for Windows stores data directly in an Agile Keychain or OPVault file/folder which is located wherever you choose to store it. 1Password for Mac stores data in an SQLite database file in a specific location. So to answer your question, by default, there's no Agile Keychain to be found on your Mac. But it's easy to create one, which brings us to the next piece of the puzzle:

In order to create a .agilekeychain file in 1Password for Mac, you'll need to enable Dropbox Sync or Folder Sync. But starting in 1Password 6 for Mac, the default sync format has been changed to OPVault, which is why you need to disable that setting first. It sounds like you've already done that, so the next step is to set up one of those two sync options. When you do that, 1Password will copy the data from your vault into a new .agilekeychain file.

Once you have a .agilekeychain file, you'll need to follow penderworth's steps to download the 1Password.html file and put it inside the .agilekeychain.

I have a Dropbox account but got unstuck when I tried to sync my 1Password with Dropbox. 1Password was looking for something on my Mac but my Dropbox is online. ?

In order to use Dropbox sync, you'll need to install the Dropbox app on your Mac. That app syncs the files in your Dropbox account to/from a local Dropbox folder on your Mac (that's what 1Password is looking for when you try to set that up - our steps to set up Dropbox sync will help you with that). The way it works is that 1Password makes changes to the .agilekeychain file stored locally in the Dropbox folder on your Mac, and then the Dropbox app syncs it from there to your account on dropbox.com.

I think it'll just be simpler to manually copy/paste the data onto a USB.

That is certainly another option, but you don't need to manually copy the Agile Keychain to a USB drive. Instead, you can use Folder Sync to create the Agile Keychain there. However, using 1PasswordAnywhere from dropbox.com is much easier than using it from a USB drive - to make a long story short, if you try to use it from a USB drive, you'll probably run into problems with local file restrictions in the browser. In some cases it's possible to get around those restrictions, but you won't need to worry about any of that if you simply use Dropbox instead.

Again, I'm very sorry for the confusion! I really hope my information here is helpful, but if you have more questions or run into any problems trying to set this up, please don't hesitate to let us know. :)

• justigoo
    justigoo
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. This is getting worse.

Have unchecked OPVault.

Gone into 1Password preferences and tried to enable Dropbox in the Sync options, but it can't find Dropbox.

I do indeed already have the Dropbox app on my Mac - an icon sits top right on the header bar and the app sits in applications. But I can't seem to unite the two apps.

This is all getting way too complicated for a supposed simple operation and I'm running out of time before I leave for Germany.

I have manually copied all my passwords to a USB stick because I don't have faith that I'll be able to set up and know how to access 1Password from my friend's Mac in a different country.

In the process of this manual copy/paste operation, something that confuses me is that I have different passwords for the same websites stored in the separate 'Logins' and 'Passwords' folders of 1Password. They also differ from logins in my Macs keychain access for the same sites. I so wish computers were logical! They seem like they ought to be but they just don't make any sense to me. Wrong type of brain maybe, born too early perhaps?

Last attempt before I give up the chase, can you help me sync 1Password and Dropbox on my Mac?

Thanks.

J.

• Hi @justigoo ,

Sorry you are having trouble. When you say "it can't find Dropbox" what happens?

1. In the Sync Preferences, select the vault to sync, and choose Dropbox Sync in the popup menu. If it is not there, please let us know what it says.
    2. If it gets past that part it should show a panel asking you to Choose a location. Click Choose, and if it doesn't automatically find Dropbox, look for "Dropbox" in the left sidebar. If it is not there, press Command-Shift-H to return to your Home Folder, and you should see Dropbox in the list there to choose.
    3. Then open into the Dropbox folder. There you can either create a 1Password folder, or just create it in the Dropbox folder.

If you have any trouble with that, please let us know exactly what happened and what you expected to happen. It could be that your Dropbox folder is installed in another location, but I haven't seen that before. If that is the case, then it would explain why 1Password didn't find it, and we can certainly help you find it.

To answer your question on copies of passwords, when you generate a password, 1Password will automatically save it to an item with the type Password. When you save a website login it creates an item with type Login. The Password items are likely from when you generated a new password while on that site. We are currently looking at simplifying that. I can certainly understand why it is confusing.

I hope the above instructions work. If not, please reply and we'll do our best to help.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• justigoo
    justigoo
    Community Member
    Options

Kevin - awesome, success!

Home folder. That's where the Dropbox was! I wish someone had told me that earlier. Maybe it's totally f**king obvious but not to me!

So, opened 1Password6 > preferences > sync > three options iCloud/Dropbox/Folder, selected 'Dropbox', couldn't find it initially, took your advice and selected 'home' & it was there at the top - selected 'dropbox' made a new file in it called '1Password' as advised, opened that and pressed the 'choose' option, and now my 1Password Primary vault is synced to that file in Dropbox. It looks like the agilekeychain is now in there.

Yay! Success!

So, do I need to go through Penderworth's process above?

Do I need the Anywhere option or can I just now log into Dropbox from afar and all is now there?

Just in case I've just tried to download Penderworth's 'index.html' file from his link. It downloaded but I got an error message when I tried to open the file - error message displayed on a graphite dark grey vault-like screen said: 'Problem loading 1Password data file - A key data file could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it. Please see this help guide for troubleshooting tips'.

I haven't yet been to 'this help guide' but is there something I should know? (An old Duran Duran hit springs to mind....showing my age!)

Thanks.

J.

:-)

• justigoo
    justigoo
    Community Member
    Options

Ok - this is to be read after the message above.

My agile keychain is now in a dropbox folder. I've just signed in to Dropbox to see what this looks like.

There are two folders: 'a' and 'data'.

Both seem to contain pages of numbers/letters, but these are not the passwords that are in my 1Password. There's also no mention of what these letters/numbers relate to, i.e. no mention of associated websites/pages or login names.

So I guess the 'index.html' file of Penderworth is an important piece in this puzzle. Either that or I'm just being stupid again.

Any help on dealing with the above error message appreciated! Thanks.

I thought it would be relatively straightforward to sign into 1Password on a different Mac, but obviously not!

Technoklutz at the helm!

J.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @justigoo,

Please don't give up, you've made a lot of progress even if it doesn't feel like it.

Here is a link again to the 1Password.html file. It's inside a ZIP file which for me OS X automatically extracts.

With the 1Password.html in your possession, you want to move it inside the Agile Keychain. The Agile Keychain is likely named 1Password.agilekeychain and you mention you've already found two folders just inside there. At the same level as those folders you want to add the 1Password.html and once you've done this if you open the 1Password.html from inside the Dropbox web page it should open a new tab and you will be presented with a 1Password lock screen. The reason you don't recognise anything inside of the Agile Keychain is that everything is encrypted. So you need to unlock you vault from inside this window to view the contents. The decryption uses JavaScript so if it complains about not being able to load a .js file it would suggest the JavaScript has been blocked. People normally see this if they try to access 1PasswordAnywhere locally from in a Finder window because all browsers these days block local JavaScript as a security measure.

I hope this helps but please let us know if you're still having difficulties.

• justigoo
    justigoo
    Community Member
    Options

Hola,

Success!

Problem before was that I tried to open the 1Password.html file on my Mac.

Managed to put this file in the agilekeychain folder in Dropbox alongside 'a' and 'data', clicked on it, a lock screen appears, and my master password opens it.......lo and behold all is in there, in fact more detail than is in my normal 1Password folder.

Wow. Can't believe we got there! It all seemed so daunting!

Thanks you all SO much for your assistance, you've all been really patient, very explanatory and very clear with me.

Looking forward to trying this out from afar now!

Go well all of you, all the best and may 2016 be epic for each and every one!

Warm regards from the UK,

Justin.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update Justin! I'm glad to hear this journey has come to a successful completion. :)

It all seemed so daunting

Indeed. Which is part of the reason we're retiring 1PasswordAnywhere. It was built for a much earlier time.

Go well all of you, all the best and may 2016 be epic for each and every one!

The same to you! :+1:

If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• rph28
    rph28
    Community Member
    Options

I persoanlly think 1PasswordAnywhere is a great feature and will be sad to see it go! I do think the support page for it should be updated as I did have to do a bit of Googling to find this thread.

As I've now activated the feature and got it working thanks to this thread, is there anything I should be worried about in changing my vault from an OPVault to the Agile Keychain?

Simply curious, that's all.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.