catalyst9
catalyst9
Community Member

How can I import passwords and other data from Dashlane 4.0? Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:How can I import passwords and other data from Dashlane?

Comments

• Hi @catalyst9,

Thanks for writing into us! Dashlane import requires some special handling. Our resident forums expert on such matters, @MrC, has previous listed what it takes in this thread.

I hope this helps.

• catalyst9
    catalyst9
    Community Member
    Options

That thread is exactly what I needed... Thanks!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of chrisdj, you're most welcome, @catalyst9! Glad he could point you in the right direction.

Feel free to post again if you have any further questions; we'll be happy to help. Cheers! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @catalyst9,

I replied to another user even more recently than the thread mentioned in chrisdj's reply above. The thread indicates the issues with DashLane's export back in April of last year. I see that DashLane has released version 4.0 this month. I'll examine its export to determine if it is any better, but I wouldn't hold me breath. Back soon...

• catalyst9
    catalyst9
    Community Member
    Options

Great! Perhaps Dashlane 4.0 has fixed the earlier issues with the export... I'll look forward to your update. Thanks

• Hi catalyst9,

I'm glad MrC is able to help you out. Thank you so much for using 1Password! If you have any questions in the future, feel free to ask.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options

@catalyst9 ,

I have bad news. DashLane 4.0 still produces very broken, lossy CSV. The CSV itself is broken. Furthermore, it does not contain all the values within your record. For example, here's a Driver License record:

and here is its CSV export:

"{E83D159D-BB40-419B-B0E9-8510037A5C9B}","","2009-2-1","2020-2-2","","{D04EE37C-1A83-4073-BD80-AF0747FA0315}","G98465","NO_TYPE","US-0-AS"

Notice that the name Joe R Blow is completely missing, and those UUID references in the export line are not present elsewhere in the CSV.

The data is so hopelessly CSV-broken, missing any form if category identification, and lossy, I'm afraid you're going to have to manually transfer your data. It is clear these folks have no interest in helping you leave their product.

Side note: their new and improved UI is awful. I had to go open every single record, and expand every single hidden field (many per record) to find a single value I was looking for. it was about 50 clicks. What were they thinking!

• catalyst9
    catalyst9
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, that is bad news... Appalling that the folks at Dashlane would make it such a closed system! And the steps Mel Burstein outlined in the earlier thread (to import from Dashlane) won't work now with version 4.0?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @catalyst9 ,

You can absolutely follow those steps. You're going to be trying to import CSV, after you've cleaned it up. You can use 1Password's CSV importer. Follow the guidelines here. This will allow you to import the 4 categories that 1Password supports via CSV. It's a bit tedious, with one category per CSV.

For the records that are not the 4 supported categories, you'll have to either import them as Secure Notes, or manually copy / paste.

• catalyst9
    catalyst9
    Community Member
    Options

Got it! Thanks again, MrC... I'm sure I can make it work. : )

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@catalyst9 ,

You're welcome.

By the way, there is also a csv importer in the converter suite. It currently only supports the Login category, but it has some additional flexibility, supporting named columns, Tags, and named custom fields. I'm not sure how much value it would be in this conversion. But its there.

• Just wanted to pop in and thank @MrC for the help. Really appreciate your expertise!

• catalyst9
    catalyst9
    Community Member
    Options

A quick follow-up, with thanks again to MrC, who rocks! I simply exported Dashlane's data as a CSV text file, deleted columns and rows (in Excel) that contained extraneous (non-Login) data, saved as an MS-DOS CSV file, and imported that file into 1Password 6. I imported 270 logins with no errors. 1Password is working perfectly. : )

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@catalyst9 ,

Fantastic! Enjoy 1Password.

• @catalyst9 That is terrific news! Three cheers for @MrC!

• FredMertz
    FredMertz
    Community Member
    Options

Another tedious possible way to transfer data from Dashlane is to open every saved password in Dashlane then accept 1Password's prompt to add it when it launches and log in on your browser

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@FredMertz ,

I just replied to your other post. Let's move the conversation over to that thread.

This discussion has been closed.