Is there a method to hiding credit card numbers similar to hiding passwords on OS X?

NotTechSavvy
NotTechSavvy
Community Member

In the Credit Cards Category, when creating a credit card item, I noticed that the credit card number cannot be obfuscated yet the verification number may be. If I am using this item to auto-fill in credit card information and 1Password can decode the obscure verification number when auto-filling a form, then why shouldn't 1Password also be capable decoding the obscure credit card number? It would also help to conceal information for anyone looking over my shoulder. I feel the user should be able to toggle this using the same method.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @NotTechSavvy,

From a technical standpoint you are quite correct, there is nothing stopping the contents of the field being hidden under normal usage like password or PIN fields. I can't say what the original thought process was but it seems plausible to me that it was based on the average payment form where they don't hide the long card number while the CVV number is somehow a security thing (nothing screams security like a 3 digit code visibly printed on the back of the card - best I don't start ranting though). Let's say that was the original reasoning, that doesn't mean it has to stay that way. I've added your voice to an existing feature request to see this happen.

ref: OPM-2687

• NotTechSavvy
    NotTechSavvy
    Community Member

Thank you @littlebobbytables,
    I did discover a method to work around this issue, however I have not tried to use the autofill feature since my modification. When editing an item, simply create a new item fill and select the "password" option in the dropdown box. Regardless of what is entered in a "password" field, the user has the option to hide or reveal it. As stated, I am not sure if the autofill feature will work, but it does eliminate over-the-shoulder on-lookers from being able to view what I consider to be security info. From what I can tell, you may use as many "password" fields as you deem necessary to protect your vital information.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @NotTechSavvy,

Custom sections and fields don't get used when it comes to filling but maybe for now you will be happy with copying and pasting that particular piece of information given your concerns. It isn't ideal and hopefully we can see that information hidden at some point in the future.

• xraydoug
    xraydoug
    Community Member

I would add my vote for this as a feature request. I travel a fair bit and so I'm often having to do things in public. I am very uncomfortable having my credit card number displayed.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @xraydoug,

Thank you for letting us know! Although I can't make any promises about if/when we would add the ability to conceal credit card numbers in the 1Password app, I can certainly let our developers know you'd like to be able to do that.

One thing I should reiterate is that, as littlebobbytables previously mentioned, credit card forms on websites don't usually hide your credit card number, and there's really nothing we can do about that (1Password fills that data in web forms but can't control how the website displays it). All we would be able to do is add the ability to hide credit card numbers when viewing your data in the main 1Password app or the browser extension / 1Password mini.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us about this! If you need anything else, please let us know. :)

• xraydoug
    xraydoug
    Community Member

Understood. At least it would be one less place for a shoulder-lurker to pick up information!

• You're right, @xraydoug. Hopefully we can get that fixed up in a future version.

Cheers.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.