Stop asking if I want to use Dropbox.

I am currently sharing a dropbox on my work computer that happens to have my personal 1Password keychain in it. Every time I start 1Password on my work computer it asks me if I want to use this personal keychain it is detecting in the Dropbox folder instead of the work keychain I have stored locally on the work computer. I cannot find any way to turn this request off. Is there some reason that the dialog box for this request does not have a checkbox that asks if I want 1Password to remember my decision and to stop asking me every time?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    CDA HOA, welcome to the forum!

We don't support maintaining multiple 1Password data folders, especially under Dropbox sync control. It can cause problems if you're sync'ing to an iOS, Android, or Windows Phone 7 mobile device.

You may be satisfied with the results, but there's no guarantee you will continue to avoid problems.

The prompt is based on the fact that the Dropbox folder hierarchy is not the default location for your 1Password data (since not all users have Dropbox installed), but people with 1Password data in the Dropbox folder hierarchy probably put it there on purpose and want to use it.

We never say "never"; but I don't know of any plan to change our "single data folder" support policy, so it seems unlikely that the "use data in Dropbox?" prompt will go away.
  • paddster7
    paddster7
    Community Member
    Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I think there is a misunderstanding. I have no desire to have "multiple 1Password data folders".

My issue is actually quite simple - I have a work PC where I have had the keychain saved in the default location on the computer. Everything worked great. Now, I have had to sync with a Dropbox folder that happens to have a different keychain in it. Sadly, you have 1Password set up so that when I start the application it automatically looks to see if there is a Dropbox folder located on that computer and, if so, if there is a 1Password keychain in it. As you state in your response, a "convenience" for 1Password users who need some hand-holding.

When 1Password detects this condition, it then generates a dialog box that asks if I want to use this keychain in the Dropbox folder. In my case, I do not want 1Password to use that keychain and I respond "No". That would all be fine except that 1Password does not remember my response and asks me this question each and every time I open the application, an annoyance to be sure. Particularly since it is quite easy to code up a function that would remember my answer and not bother me again. (An entry in the Preferences would need to be added that would allow me to change my answer in the future if I decide to use the Dropbox keychain.)

I like Dropbox very much, and you all have configured your application to work quite well with it. However, it is a bit presumptuous for you to think that all 1Password users use it in all circumstances.

This request is not an attempt to do away with your "single data folder" policy. It is simply that when 1Password detects a keychain in the dropbox folder, and I say that I do not want to use that one, it remembers my decision.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    I don't think I misunderstood: You have multiple 1Password data folders on your PC, and the one you've configured 1Password to use is not the one in the Dropbox folder hierarchy. 1Password assumes that a 1Password data folder is in the Dropbox folder hierarchy so that it can be shared and sync'ed among your various computers and mobile devices, so it asks whether you want to use that 1Password data folder.

I agree that a "don't ask again" option seems like a reasonable request, and I'll pass that along to the developer immediately.

For now, though, and by design, if you don't want to share and sync your 1Password data folder among your various computers and mobile devices, perhaps it shouldn't be stored in the Dropbox folder hierarchy.

Please note that having a 1Password data folder under Dropbox sync control and configuring 1Password to use a different 1Password data folder stored elsewhere on the same computer (as you describe) is likely to cause unexpected results if you're sync'ing that Dropbox-located 1Password data among other computers and mobile devices. That's why we don't recommend it and cannot support it.

Thanks for understanding.
  • grockk
    grockk
    Community Member
    in dropbox you can use selective sync to not sync the personal 1password folder to your work computer.

Preferences>Advanced>Selective Sync and uncheck the box next to the folder you don't want on that computer.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    CDA HOA wrote:

I am currently sharing a dropbox on my work computer that happens to have my personal 1Password keychain in it. Every time I start 1Password on my work computer it asks me if I want to use this personal keychain it is detecting in the Dropbox folder instead of the work keychain I have stored locally on the work computer. I cannot find any way to turn this request off. Is there some reason that the dialog box for this request does not have a checkbox that asks if I want 1Password to remember my decision and to stop asking me every time?

I have added this to 1.0.6.BETA-194
This discussion has been closed.