Created New, Blank Vault by Mistake - How To Delete From Dropbox?

SLRist
SLRist
Community Member
edited January 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have 1Password on my desktop PC and have had a single, primary vault which I have been syncing with my iPhone through Dropbox for some time with no issues.

I have a new Windows 7 laptop, and just installed 1password. I wanted to get it syncing with the same Dropbox vault. I couldn't find clear instructions how to do this for my version of 1password in the help files. I assumed I’d be able to just open 1password on the laptop and browse to the Dropbox folder. However, 1password just kept telling me this was not a vault.

In the end I created a blank vault on my new laptop, using the same password as the original vault. I then selected 'Move to Dropbox' which I thought would prompt me to link the two vaults. It didn’t. It seems to have just moved my blank laptop vault to Dropbox.

I still have my original vault on my PC, apparently still syncing with the same Dropbox folder.

I can't see anything in the Dropbox folder which indicates to me that it contains two separate vaults – should there be?

What I want to do is hopefully pretty simple:

1. Get rid of the new, spurious, empty vault from my laptop and from Dropbox.

2. Link 1password on my laptop with the original, primary, populated vault on Dropbox.

Can someone please tell me how to do this without accidentally deleting my original vault?

I’m having real trouble getting to the bottom of what is stored where, and how to make changes. Everything I read in the forum and help articles seems to relate to old versions of 1password.

Both copies of 1password are licensed.

Many thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windoed 7 - 64bit
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @SLRist,

I assumed I’d be able to just open 1password on the laptop and browse to the Dropbox folder. However, 1password just kept telling me this was not a vault.

You would have to select the 1Password folder that ends in either .agilekeychain or .opvault, not the Dropbox folder.

However, 1Password is programmed to scan your Dropbox folder to find it, I'm surprised it didn't find it but it does explain the rest of your issues. I think Dropbox is not running on your laptop, which is why you didn't see the second blank vault on the original PC.

In order for us to help you, we need you to email us your 1Password diagnostic reports from both PCs, so we can use the information from both PC to help you link them up. Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and if you can, include both in the same email to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• SLRist
    SLRist
    Community Member

Hi there. I've just emailed the files.

One from the desktop.

One from the laptop.

Many thanks.

• Thanks, we got the email with the reports and will reply ASAP.

ref: HUG-94447-296

• SLRist
    SLRist
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

Many thanks. I may have spotted why 1password didn't find the files from scanning Dropbox. I had selective sync active (the laptop drive is quite small), and the 'Apps' folder wasn't one of those synced.

I'd seen the file '.ws.agile.1Password.settings' in the root of Dropbox, and had assumed this was the 1password vault file. Obviously mistaken.

I just enabled '\Apps' in Dropbox Selective Sync on the laptop

I now have two '\Apps' folders showing up in the laptop:

\Apps
    \Apps (Selective Sync Conflict)

(Obviously because 1password created it's own one locally on the laptop)

Any idea how I should resolve this without risking the main Vault file?

Perhaps rename one to something else and see which contains my data?

• SLRist
    SLRist
    Community Member

OK - I figured it -

I renamed both '\Apps\' folders on the laptop and the original 'Apps' folder was successfully synced back from Dropbox.

This one was then able to be opened from 1password, and contains all my data.

Problem solved!

• That's great news, @SLRist!
    Thanks for letting us know.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.