1P6 - iCloud sync - Why?

Kengel
Kengel
Community Member

A new feature of the program in V6 is - iCloud sync. But the thing is, I've been using Dropbox to sync for years - so - what's the point? Is there some advantage to this that would be compelling enough for me to change something that has been working flawlessly for years?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: ???

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

@Kengel - This has been an emotionally charged issue during the time when iCloud syncing was available only on in the Mac App Store version. But there is no reason based in the security of your data to prefer one or the other. Your data are protected by you master password and the application's encryption protocols, not in any way by the cloud service you choose.

There are benefits to Dropbox over iCloud. Dropbox allows syncing of secondary vaults. It also permits users to share data with others if they want to. Those are not possible with iCloud, as least for now. Many users prefer Dropbox for those reasons. But it is a matter of personal preference.

There is no reason to switch away from Dropbox based on security. If you've been satisfied with it, I'd recommend sticking with it.

• I can't think of any reason someone already setup with Dropbox would switch to iCloud unless there is some personal preference for the iCloud service over Dropbox's.

As hawkmoth mentioned Dropbox does have a few technical advantages over iCloud, but off hand I can't think of any iCloud has over Dropbox when it comes to syncing 1Password data (particularly if already setup).

Ben

• Kengel
    Kengel
    Community Member

Thanks for the replies - this is about what I suspected - no need to switch whatsoever! :-)

• Indeed. You are most welcome! :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• JamesHenderson
    JamesHenderson
    Community Member

I switched to iCloud because 1Password was the only thing I was using DropBox for (allowing me to remove Dropbox).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.