1Password 3 crashing on OSX 10.11 El Capitan

Options

Whenever I try to save a new password or edit an existing one the Mac app crashes. I'm running v3.8.22.

Are there any plans to release an update to fix this bug?

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

@iosdevben

Active development on 1Password 3 ended just over 3 years ago, a year after Apple stopped supporting Snow Leopard, so we will not be going back and updating it.

From here https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/226594/#Comment_226594

Thats said its possible 1Password 3 may still work ? I don't know, it could be something from a beta causing the issue etc. We may need to see if the staff have any ideas.

Cc/ @littlebobbytables or other admin

• iosdevben
    iosdevben
    Community Member
    Options

Googles '1Password alternatives', quickly gets disappointed.

I'm using 1Password 5 on my (work supplied) iPhone, and it's a huge selling point to be able to sync passwords with my (work supplied) Macbook.

I'm a software developer by trade myself, and I understand you've also got families to feed so you can't just give away your software, and bug fixes take time, but $65 (Australian) is a lot to pay just to get an app that doesn't crash when I try to edit a password. Obviously 1Password 5 has a lot more features than 1Password 3, but 3 is all I need.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Is the price $65 Australian, though. There is an upgrade price (and also frequent sales).

• iosdevben
    iosdevben
    Community Member
    Options

@danco: Thank you!

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @iosdevben,

I'm sorry we didn't get to your post earlier but it looks like you've had a couple of useful responses in our absence :smile:

I literally haven't had the chance yet to install the El Capitan beta so I given it's being billed as a stability update I'm surprised to hear 1Password 3 is crashing with something as simple as saving a new password. As thightower stated though active development has ceased there so if El Capitan marks the end of 1Password 3 then it may be time to hold a glass aloft and salute it's life.

As a 1Password 3 customer you can use your existing licence key to obtain a 50% discount off the normal price, all you need to do is enter it in this form to be shown your options - Upgrades for Existing Licence Owners. Now just a quick heads up. With 1Password 3 you never had iCloud Sync, something that wasn't added until 1Password 4. As of iCloud Drive though, the iCloud frameworks are only accessible to applications obtained from Apple's Mac App Store. If you want iCloud Sync it has to be the Mac App Store version and sadly the functionality isn't there to offer a discount. As long as you're happy with Dropbox or Wi-Fi Sync though you can get that 50% discount in our own AgileBits Store.

If you have any questions please do let us know :smile:

• psommariva
    psommariva
    Community Member
    Options

The 1password policy has always been to try and pry more fees out of users. That's a respectable goal as you do keep improving the product.
    What's really, profoundly wrong is the way you do it. Ever since I bought it years ago I've received emails inching at paying more. If you want a rent, say it. If the version I have has an expiration, say it. Your passive stance on old customers is annoying. Why don't you announce straight that VERSION 3 DOES NOT WORK ON 10.11 AND WE DONT SUPPORT IT. That's what you are doing, so say it straight.

I cannot work with a company that blankly smiles at annoyed customers.

Now moving to other solution.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @psommariva,

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling frustrated with 1Password right now. We would truly hate to lose you as a user. We do our best to be open and upfront with users whenever possible, and I do apologize if you feel we have been less than honest. We have a post at the top of this forum that advises the issues that users might encounter when using 1Password 3 in El Capitan - have you had an opportunity to read it? The post includes some information on why these problems are arising, and it might be an interesting read for you if you haven't already seen it.

We never want users to feel forced to upgrade, and we're happy to continue to support our legacy versions for as long as possible. Unfortunately, as the operating systems change, it becomes more and more difficult to maintain an older version in the newer architecture, particularly if we also want to take full advantage of the new tools that the operating systems offer us to make 1Password the best that we can. At some point, it becomes necessary to build a new version and leave the previous version as is.

I know this isn't the answer you want to hear, but I hope that this helps to explain the situation a little bit better. If you do have any further questions, we would love to continue the conversation.

This discussion has been closed.