Please, please make an auto-fill that does not require the keyboard.

Options
Xaelias
Xaelias
Community Member

Hi,

Not sure if that was supposed to be in the general android forum, or maybe in another topic already existing but...

Well the title is kind of self-explanatory and straightforward...
Please, make an auto-fill feature that does not require me to use your keyboard. Because I won't. Because let's face it, there is no chance in hell you are going to create a decent keyboard anytime soon. And I already said it somewhere, that's ok. Because that's not your job. Your job is to allow me to easily:

• fill in passwords in any browser I use on my smartphone
  • fill in passwords in any app I use on my smartphone (albeit common ones, amazon, banking, tumblr,.......)
  • and do it without having to switch to a keyboard I don't need
  • and do it in 2 steps: select some kind of visual queue, or trigger an action in the app itself, and put my finger on the sensor/enter the pin/enter the master password

I read somewhere that you had not implemented this in the past because you did not want the password to go through the clipboard, which apparently would be required in this case. News flash: people that don't use the keyboard, already copy and paste the password in the clipboard so... Yeah. That happened.

Oh and in the meantime, although I've already read it somewhere in another topic, please let me copy my password (and username?) directly from the list by long-pressing the site in the list (in 1 password) and don't make me click any weird button on the right, or actually display the full entry in 1password.

All of that would be awesome :-)

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6b
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Dumbledore
    Dumbledore
    Community Member
    Options

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/36307/new-1password-keyboard-and-filling#latest

As I remember, their first implementation of autofilling was not a keyboard, but rather something else. That solution was rather MacGyver-y, and because of some Android quirks, wasn't working reliably (almost at all actually :silenced: ). So the keyboard, as of now, is the next best thing.

And for the auto clipboard, I really think it's nice of them to put as much thought as possible into minimising the number of points of failure. With manual copy you at least explicitly copy the password, so you know what and when you copy, as opposed to them just doing that by default and you not even knowing which data passed through the not-so-secure path.

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member
    Options

Well you know exactly ^^ The username and the password. Exactly as often as when I do it manually ^^ Plus the autofill has an advantage over manual copy, it can clear the clipboard at once.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

+1 on filling without requiring a keyboard, but -1 to utilizing copy/paste. One of the reasons I love Agile Bits and have stuck with them (so far) despite my issues with them, is that they don't sacrifice security for usability. They figure out a way to provide an excellent user experience while maintaining security*.

*Well, they have for Mac and iOS so far. I am hopeful that they'll eventually get it right for Android (and Windows) too.

Edit:
    There have been previous suggestions to make a persistent notification that would activate when 1Password detects a fillable form. To fill, one would swipe down and touch the notification. Not sure how viable this is, but I believe this would be a usability improvement over the current keyboard method.

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member
    Options

I'm talking about copy/paste only because I read about it somewhere else. I'm not saying that's the way to go. But I am still saying that it's anyway what a lot of us do, and that it would be safer if the app did it itself, because it could clean the clipboard at once.
    Plus it could probably use some encryption of some sort.

• saad
    Options

Thanks for your suggestion @Xaelias. We originally did not have the keyboard when we implemented filling but there were a few challenges with the implementation. I think mverde explains it pretty well in his thread.

The keyboard allows us to fill in many places we were not able to in the past. For example, we can now fill in almost everywhere there is an input field. Without the keyboard, we couldn’t fill in apps that use the Android WebView for signing in. And that’s just one example of it.

We want to avoid the clipboard as much as we can. We had several requests in the past wanting a way to fill passwords without the traditional copy and paste. While we do still allow this if the user explicitly chooses to, we also offer an alternative solution for users that don’t want their info to touch the clipboard.

You’re right in saying we are not a keyboard maker, and I think it’s okay to use another keyboard as your default. We try to make switching the keyboard easier. For example, long-pressing the space bar in our keyboard will let you switch quicker.

We will certainly review the implementation and look into possibly working with other keyboard makers. But for the time being, we don’t have any immediate plans to get rid of our filling keyboard, but we do plan to improve it in upcoming releases.

• kosmiq
    kosmiq
    Community Member
    Options

Thought I'd give my point of view here.

I think the keyboard is nice to have, especially foe webviews. However I'd like to see the option to use "something in the notification area" to fill-in while in Chrome. Because switching keyboard that much really feels like a hassle.

You're already using a lot of permissions, like the accessiblity service, so let us decide which login options we'd like to use or not. I would turn on detect-in-chrome-autofill-from-notification instantly. Safe-In-Cloud does it and so does LastPass. Other than that specific feature 1password beats them all.

• peri
    Options

Hi @kosmiq. Thanks for adding your thoughts about filling. :)

I'm not sure exactly how filling is handled in LastPass and Save-in-Cloud, so I can't say whether their implementations would work for us. Our priority is in not sacrificing security for convenience, so we would need to seriously examine any implementation for filling before considering supporting it.

The keyboard was a great solution for us because it allowed us to fill without having to use the clipboard or compromise on security in other ways.

We're listening to your feedback, and we hope to revisit filling on Android.

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member
    Options

Have you guys ever considered trying to partner with SwiftKey or Swype and investigating having their keyboards become capable of filling fields from 1Password? That's a thing I would love to see and would stop my whining about keyboard as a means of filling fields.

• Xaelias
    Xaelias
    Community Member
    Options

Please parter up with Swiftkey ^^

• Partnering with keyboard providers to integrate with 1Password for Android would be an ideal solution in that it would allow you to use your favourite keyboard while still having the convenience of in-app filling from 1Password. In order to pursue something like this, we would need to make sure that we are able to address any security concerns that might arise from transmitting your logins through a third-party keyboard. While I can't tell you if or when this will happen, I can say that we have discussed this amongst our development team and continue to revisit the idea :)

This discussion has been closed.