Failed to restore, incorrect backup file

Zefram
Zefram
Community Member
edited December 1969 in iOS
Hello,

I did two database backups few days ago.
Today when I try to restore I get this message in my browser: "Failed to restore, incorrect backup file"
whatever the file I choose.

I tried with 1Password pro 2.2.1 and 2.3 on iPhone 3.1.2
I tried to restore both database files with Firefox 3.6 and Internet Explorer 8. (Windows Vista)

Did i lost my data or there is another way ?

Thank you.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited February 2010
    Zefram

I pulled out my old laptop to check I was able to restore my database using IE8, FF 3.6 , and Safari 4 on a way early developer release or RC7.

One thing I did note was if you simply hit restore without selecting the data file via the choose button I get the same error. Maybe make sure Vista / browser took your entry when you selected the choose or browse button,
  • rob
    rob
    edited February 2010
    Welcome to the forums, Zefram!

Zefram wrote:
    Hello,

I did two database backups few days ago.
    Today when I try to restore I get this message in my browser: "Failed to restore, incorrect backup file"
    whatever the file I choose.

I tried with 1Password pro 2.2.1 and 2.3 on iPhone 3.1.2
    I tried to restore both database files with Firefox 3.6 and Internet Explorer 8. (Windows Vista)

Did i lost my data or there is another way ?

Thank you.

Let me double-check. Did you use the same URL you had before or did you copy it from your iPhone when you tried to restore? I tested this out with Safari just now, and when you go back to restore the database, your iPhone creates a new URL to access. I was still on the old one, so it didn't let me restore. However, when I typed in the new, correct URL, I was able to restore.

It may not be the same because I was using Safari on Mac and you were using FF and IE on Windows.
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    thightower wrote:
    Zefram

I pulled out my old laptop to check I was able to restore my database using IE8, FF 3.6 , and Safari 4 on a way early developer release or RC7.

One thing I did note was if you simply hit restore without selecting the data file via the choose button I get the same error. Maybe make sure Vista took your entry when you selected the choose button,

I hate simultaneous replies! The other person always has a better answer! :-) Just kidding. Thanks Tommy, I didn't try that.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thats quite alright Just ask DBrown we did that a lot a one time, It got to be quite comical.
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    thightower wrote:
    Thats quite alright Just ask DBrown we did that a lot a one time, It got to be quite comical.

Yeah, I remember that thread. :-)
  • Zefram
    Zefram
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi,

first thank you, your help is appreciated.

@thightower: Yes the file is correctly selected in the field. I did several tests. By pressing restore, pressing return. I even copied the file in the C: to changed the path and I also tried to rename the file.

@Rob: Yes I have updated the URL with the one show on the iPhone screen. I update it every time. (In fact, only the port change my iPhone has a fix IP)

I also tried to make a new save and to restore it, same problem.

If you have another idea...

Thanks
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Maybe, Its a shot in the dark

I tired saving the backup to my downloads folder and it never appeared I can still open it and its not there. Very strange I know.

I did all my testing with the file on the desktop, backing up to to and restoring from. Sorry I failed to mention that before. Give that a shot.

The only other thing is make sure you are using the correct url, and the correct port number (part after : ) for example (192.168.1.10 : 23456 ) the port number is randomized on each start up of the backup/restore service. NVM see you covered that already sorry.
    Other than this I am out of ideas maybe the guys will stop in and they can shed more light on the subject. Hopefully

I'll see if I can find the couple of other threads similar in nature.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited February 2010
    This is a post from Dave from late last year

dteare wrote:

Which browser were you using? I would suggest trying again with another browser to see if the problem is specific to the browser. If you were using IE or Firefox, I recommend you try Safari and see if the problem continues.
  • Zefram
    Zefram
    Community Member
    edited February 2010
    I've installed Safari especially for the test, same result :-(

When I restored my iPhone, i've changed its name. Do you think it can be the cause ?
  • Zefram
    Zefram
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I did some other tests.
    With 1Password version 2.3 I tried to do a backup. Firefox and Safari where unable to save the file. Only IE8 did.
    None of them where able to restore the file.
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    Zefram wrote:
    I did some other tests.
    With 1Password version 2.3 I tried to do a backup. Firefox and Safari where unable to save the file. Only IE8 did.
    None of them where able to restore the file.

Besides the backup and restore feature, iTunes makes a one time backup of all applications during the sync. You may be able to restore your 1Password data by restoring this backup. Please see this article for more information:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10203174-233.html
  • Zefram
    Zefram
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thank you for this suggestion Rob.

I reinitialized the iPhone because of some problems.
    Unfortunately I couldn't use the restore feature of iTunes because it restored all my settings and it was still not working well.
    I tried to reinitialized only the settings, without success.
    The only solution was to reset everything.
  • Zefram
    Zefram
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    As nobody found a solution to get the backup / restore function to work I get to the conclusion that this is a bug from 1Password.
    Does a developer would like to try to fix this bug ?
    I'm ready to play the beta tester and try to find a solution together.

Regards
  • roustem
    edited February 2010
    Zefram wrote:
    As nobody found a solution to get the backup / restore function to work I get to the conclusion that this is a bug from 1Password.
    Does a developer would like to try to fix this bug ?
    I'm ready to play the beta tester and try to find a solution together.

Regards

Thank you for your help.

I am looking through our code and the "Failed to restore, incorrect backup file" message is displayed when the file uploaded to iPhone does not have the correct header.

Please try to open the backup file in any text editor and see if it starts with "SQLite format" text.

Make sure you do not change or save the file while it is open in the text editor.
  • Zefram
    Zefram
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hello Roustem,

There no "SQLite format" text in all the 1ptbackup files I have.

Regards
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    Zefram wrote:
    Hello Roustem,

There no "SQLite format" text in all the 1ptbackup files I have.

Regards

This is not right. Can you tell me what you see in the file? Perhaps you can post a screenshot here.

Thanks!
  • Zefram
    Zefram
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    here it is :)

1ptbackup_screenshotjpg.jpg
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    Thank you for the screenshot!

This certainly looks like a portion of the backup file. However, it seems that the beginning of the file is missing. It should start with "SQLite format 3"
  • Zefram
    Zefram
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks to you Roustem.

Yes it's only a portion, but this is the top of the file

What caused that ?
    Is it possible to use this backup file anyway ?

If there is no way to get this backup working, ok I could re-inter all my passwords in 1Password pro by hand :(
    But before loosing time with this, I'd like to be sure that I can do a backup after that.
    And it does not seem to be the case.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    Zefram wrote:
    Thanks to you Roustem.

Yes it's only a portion, but this is the top of the file

What caused that ?
    Is it possible to use this backup file anyway ?

If there is no way to get this backup working, ok I could re-inter all my passwords in 1Password pro by hand :(
    But before loosing time with this, I'd like to be sure that I can do a backup after that.
    And it does not seem to be the case.

I am sorry, unfortunately, this file is not usable.

I am not sure what could have caused this problem.
    Can I ask you to make a new backup file and compare the header? Even if you do not have any entries in 1Password, the backup file should still start with "SQLite format 3".
  • Zefram
    Zefram
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi,

I tried to do backups with 1Password pro V2.3 and IE8, Firefox 3.6 and Safari.
    All I get are empty files: 0 bytes
    The backup service page says "Size: 20480 bytes" anyway.

My previous backups were made with 1Password 2.2.1
  • Zefram
    Zefram
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I've finally restored my backup successfully ! :-)
    For this I used iTunes Backup Manager software. :idea:
    It allows me to navigate inside my iTunes save and to restore only the "Documents_1password.sqlite" in my hard drive.
    Then I just used the restore function from 1Password and imported this file. ;-)

Thank you for your help everybody. (handshake)
    If you need a betatester to fix the export function, just let me know.
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    Zefram wrote:
    I've finally restored my backup successfully ! :-)
    For this I used iTunes Backup Manager software. :idea:
    It allows me to navigate inside my iTunes save and to restore only the "Documents_1password.sqlite" in my hard drive.
    Then I just used the restore function from 1Password and imported this file. ;-)

Thank you for your help everybody. (handshake)

Wow. This is fantastic!

I am so happy you found a workaround and restored the data!

Zefram wrote:
    If you need a betatester to fix the export function, just let me know.

I wonder if you can try to make a backup and see if the file is correct.

Thanks!
  • Zefram
    Zefram
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    roustem wrote:

I wonder if you can try to make a backup and see if the file is correct.

I just did, the file is exactly the same of the one I posted before. There is no "SQLite format" header.
  • uller1
    edited December 1969
    Exactly the same problem as Zefram. Unfortunately the workaround with the Backup Manager comes too late for me, because I've already re-synchronized with iTunes, what lets me with an restorable but empty "Documents_1password.sqlite"-file.
    What can I do now for restoring the "corrupted" backup-file that was produced by the backup function ?????????????

I'm using ipod touch (3rd gen) with firmware 3.1.3, 1password 2.3, and I have made the backup using FF 3.6 in Windows Vista SP2.
  • Zefram
    Zefram
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi Uller,
    did you look in iTunes if you have older saves ?
    Maybe you didn't erase your old saves.
    Check in iTunes at edit/preferences/Devices.
    There is a list a device backups.
    If you still have an old one then you can use Backup manager to browse in it.

I don't think there is a way to use the corrupted file. :(

Good luck
  • uller1
    edited December 1969
    Thank you Zefram for the hint.

But I've found just the one and only save, which contains the already overwritten password-file.

Very sad for the many passwords lost !!
  • Zefram
    Zefram
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Just for information, the software iTunes BackUp Manager as change its name to iBackupBot for iTunes.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the update Zefram
This discussion has been closed.