can't display items

I have version 1.0.5.190 for Windows. Starting yesterday, I think, I cannot get items (like those in Wallet or Accounts) to display when I click on the item summary. The screen flashes but the details won't open up so I can view them or edit them. Right click doesn't do anything either.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and using backup data. There was no change when I did this. Help!

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    RBham, welcome to the forum!

I'm trying to picture what you're seeing.

It sounds like you can launch 1Password; and you see the Vaults area (the upper left quadrant) and Folders area (the lower left quadrant); and when you select a vault or folder, you can see items in the list area (the upper right quadrant); but when you select a listed item, the item doesn't appear in the details area (the lower right quadrant).

Is that correct?

If not, can you tell us what you're seeing or (better yet) provide a screen shot or video?

Also, can you see all four of those quadrants?

Thanks!
  • RBham
    edited May 2011
    Your description is correct. I can't see e.g. a login when I selected. Something briefly flashes in the bottom right quadrant but there's no way to edit an entry. Screenshot attached ... I shrank the columns to conceal the data. I'm running Win XP SP3

Rob
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks, Rob—a screen shot would be really helpful!

Can you try again to attach one, or just post a link to a location where we can see it?
  • Done, I missed a step earlier.

DBrown wrote:

Thanks, Rob—a screen shot would be really helpful!

Can you try again to attach one, or just post a link to a location where we can see it?
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks, Rob.

That helps me see that the lower right quadrant (the details area) has the room to display a selected item.

Can you show us a screen shot with one of the listed items actually selected in the upper right quadrant (the list area)?

(Be sure to redact any personal information before posting the image.)
  • That's really the problem; I can't select one. If I click on it the upper right quadrant flashes and the data flashes in the lower right quadrant for a microsecond. I tried various resizings of all the windows but that didn't work either. Can I try my license on a second computer to see if it's something unique to this laptop like screen resolution? (I'm running 1024x768).

DBrown wrote:

Thanks, Rob.

That helps me see that the lower right quadrant (the details area) has the room to display a selected item.

Can you show us a screen shot with one of the listed items actually selected in the upper right quadrant (the list area)?

(Be sure to redact any personal information before posting the image.)
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2011
    RBham wrote:

That's really the problem; I can't select one. If I click on it the upper right quadrant flashes and the data flashes in the lower right quadrant for a microsecond. I tried various resizings of all the windows but that didn't work either. Can I try my license on a second computer to see if it's something unique to this laptop like screen resolution? (I'm running 1024x768).

Hi, Rob.

I finally saw the effect you're describing, yesterday: I selected any item except a Login, and the details appeared as expected in the lower right quadrant; I selected a Login item, and nothing appeared in the lower right quadrant—it was blank, as shown in your screen shot.

One thing to note is that I could still see that the Login item was selected in the upper right quadrant, and it sounds like you might not be able to see that. Is that the case? Also, is it only Login items that behave this way for you, too, or do all item types show the same behavior?

Regardless, I fixed the problem by simply quitting and relaunching 1Password. I haven't seen it since.
  • RBham
    edited June 2011
    Yes, I have McAfee. I disabled the real time scanning and the problem is fixed. I'll try the trust suggestion next.

Thanks a bunch!

stu wrote:

Do you by any chance have any anti-virus software installed such as McAfee or Norton. We've seen a few cases recently where the 'real time scanners' of these apps can cause problems with your 1Password data appearing to flash. The first step would be to disable the real time scanning and then restarting 1Password to see if your data is visible, if it is, you need to set the anti-virus software to 'trust' 1Password so that it won't scan your data file.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2011
    That's great news, Rob! Thanks for updating the thread.

I don't use McAfee, myself, but if I see the problem again on my own machine, I'll check whether Avast has an equivalent feature that I can disable. :)
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    McAfee is notorious for slowing 1Password down.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

McAfee is notorious for slowing 1Password down.

Good to know. I used McAfee in its early days, but it got so bloated that browsing became just unbearable. I've very happy with Avast for years.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    DBrown wrote:

Good to know. I used McAfee in its early days, but it got so bloated that browsing became just unbearable. I've very happy with Avast for years.

On Windows 7, I'm not running any anti-virus "solution" anymore.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

On Windows 7, I'm not running any anti-virus "solution" anymore.

Me, neither; just in XP.

Nice to know I'm "cutting edge," rather than just lazy. :)
  • Hello all, I have same problem. It is not possible to see item, because 1Password refreshing/flashing every 5-10seconds. Is there fix, except disabled the real time scanning.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forum, Nettwerk!

I haven't heard of any change to the situation from what's documented above.
This discussion has been closed.