IOS and IMac compatibility?

jwgwater
jwgwater
Community Member

I have a license of 1password on my iMac. At the time I did not have an iPhone so I didn't bother with buying the bundle. Several years later I now have an iPhone and would like 1password on it. I see you offer a free app. I'm confused about whether I can use the free app and have it since with my iMac license of your program or if its a standalone app. Do I need to buy a separate mobile license? Whats the best way to get it on my phone and sync'd up with my iMac 1password copy? Thanks

1Password Version: ersion 3.8.22 (build 32010)
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/index, kb:license-requirements, kb:pro-features-faq, ug:ios/setting-up-one-time-passwords, kb:pro-features-faq

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jwgwater,

Thanks for contacting us here with your question! The short answer is yes, there are a few different ways you can sync the free version of 1Password for iOS with 1Password on your Mac. But first, we strongly recommend you upgrade 1Password on your Mac from version 3 to version 5. Have you noticed that 1Password 3 for Mac is not very well supported on OS X 10.11 El Capitan?

• jwgwater
    jwgwater
    Community Member

Yes I see that I can upgrade to a single license of six. How often am I going to have to upgrade and pay 24 dollars so it works properly? If I upgrade first, which I will. Then what do I do about getting it on my phone?

• Hi @jwgwater,

There has actually only been a single paid upgrade since your original purchase of 1Password 3 for Mac in 2011. We don't have any set cycle of paid upgrades, but we try to be as generous as possible in this regard while ensuring AgileBits will be around to produce quality software for a long time to come.

You can download the free version of 1Password for iOS here:

iTunes App Store

There is an in-app purchase available (separate from any Mac licenses) if desired, but it is not required.

You can then sync with your Mac following this guide:

Sync | 1Password for iOS

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jwgwater
    jwgwater
    Community Member

Thank you for answering my question. Is the iOS not sync compatible with the version I have because I tried that. I guess I figured i would need a license for my phone is what I was really trying to get at. My friend bought a bundle a long time ago that included the phone.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jwgwater!

Because of the way the iOS App Store works, we're not able to include it in any bundles, so 1Password for iOS is a separate purchase. The good news is that the basic features are free; if you'd like to unlock more functionality, there's an in-app purchase for $9.99 USD. Here's some more information about 1Password for iOS's Pro features if you're interested in learning more about them :)

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

This discussion has been closed.