how do I get 1Password on new Windows computer to retrieve and sync with old Mac computer

Options

I just purchased 1Password for Windows for a new laptop. I have been using 1Password for Mac and for iPhone for years. Those two sync. The newly downloaded Windows version is requiring the p/w and showing my logins from the very first version of 1Password I had purchased (3.0 in 2009). I changed the main password to match the other computer now, but I don't know how to get the Windows version to update and use the info that's contained on my Mac and my phone and then keep them synced going forward.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598; 4.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10, OSX 10.9.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:move-vault

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@My2Doods: Sorry or the confusion! The only way your PC would have any of your 1Password data is if you've got a vault in Dropbox. Is that the case? Is there perhaps more than one?

It sounds like you may be using a different (newer) vault on your Mac and iPhone now, so a good place to start is to determine how they're setup. Then we can work on getting the data to your PC — or simply opening the correct vault there.

Open 1Password for Mac and go to Preferences > Sync. Let me know the sync type you have setup (probably Dropbox, bu just to be sure), and then — most importantly — the path shown there for the vault's location. You'll have similar information in 1Password for iOS Settings > Sync (Vault) > Sync Service, and then it will be listed under "Current Sync Method".

You'll want to use this same vault on each device (1Password for Windows File > Open 1Password Vault, if it's already in your Dropbox folder there). Let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• My2Doods
    My2Doods
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I think I got it. Poor file naming on my part, so there were several files to choose from within Dropbox. It was a matter of finding the correct one. Thank you!

• MikeT
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @My2Doods,

That's great to hear, thanks for letting us know. If you have multiple vaults in Dropbox and you're not using all of them, I would recommend archiving them to your backup drive. This way, you don't run into this problem again in the future by ensuring 1Password only sees one vault in Dropbox.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

OK, I think I got it. Poor file naming on my part, so there were several files to choose from within Dropbox. It was a matter of finding the correct one. Thank you!

Arr! I am guilty of this too. I think I'll have to take Mike's advice and tidy things up myself. :pirate:

This discussion has been closed.