Unable to unlock 1Password Vault synced via Dropbox only on Windows

I'm using 1Password on three platforms currently.

• 1Password for Mac Version 6.0.1 @ OS X Yosemite
  • 1Password for iOS Version 6.2.1 @ iOS 9.2
  • 1Password for Windows Version 4.6.0 @ Windows7 Professional

What I did and confirmed;

1. I started using 1Password 5 for Mac and iOS on May 2015.
    They were synced via Wi-Fi server from Mac to iPhone.
    They were not synced via Dropbox at that time.
  2. I upgraded 1Password 5 for Mac to 1Password 6 for Mac.
    1Password for iOS was also upgraded to the version above.
  3. 1Password for Mac and iOS started syncing via Dropbox.
    They work fine.
  4. 1Password for Windows was installed and synced via Dropbox.
    When I enter master password on 1Password for Windows,
    1Password for Windows says Unable to unlock 1Password Vault.

I confirmed that

• All files inside 1Password.opvault\default have the same MD5 on Mac and Windows.
    i.e. Dropbox synced correctly.
  • 1Passwords for Mac and Windows see the same Dropbox directory and the same vault.

Would you advise me what I should next?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited January 2016

Hi @rushelex,

1. Same language and keyboard layout between all computers and iOS device as well?
    2. Did 1Password say it is the wrong master password or the vault is invalid?
    3. When you did your MD5 scan, did you happen to notice if there were any sync conflict files inside that directory?

I would suggest changing the password on the Mac and after Dropbox syncs everything on both Mac/Windows, try unlocking with the new password on Windows. If it works, you can change it back to the previous password.

• rushelex
    rushelex
    Community Member

Hi MikeT,

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes, there were original profile.js and conflict profile (XXXXXXXXX).js.
      I think 1Password on Mac looked the original one and 1Password on Windows looked the conflict one.

After I removed the conflict one and change the master password on Mac, I could unlock the 1Password on Windows by using the new master password!!!

But when I changed the master password back to the previous one, 1Password on Windows said Unable to unlock 1Password Vault again. I found that backslash (or yen in Japanese Font) in my previous master password makes this situation. When I removed the back slash in my master password, I could unlock 1Password on Windows.

Though some websites says Japanese keyboard of MacBook inputs backslash as not ASCII 0x5C but UTF-8 0xC2 0xA5 (YEN SIGN), I don't know this is the true reason that makes this situation. I don't know why 1Password on iOS can be unlocked with the same password. (iOS also inputs backslash as UTF-8 YEN SIGN???)

Finally, I remove the backslash in my master password, and everything works fine.

Thank you very much for your great support and product!

• That's great to hear and thanks for letting us know what it was.

This discussion has been closed.