Problems with 2 vaults on windows phone 8.1

Options
zasca
zasca
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have 2 vaults with 2 different master passwords. I pinned both icons on the desktop.
When I open the 2nd vault I enter the 2nd masterpass, but it doesn't approve. Then I enter 1st masterpass and 2st vault opened and I have access to the passwords stored in it. How is it possible? Is it a bug?

1Password Version: 1.1508.60.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 8.10.15148.160
Sync Type: 1drive

Comments

• @zasca sorry you got that confusion, it's not a bug. 1Password uses one master password to unlock your app, let me explain how it works :)

The trick here is that actual data is encrypted with cryptographic keys, not the passwords. Cryptographic vault keys are encrypted with key derived from vault password when they are stored within vault (that is where you got 2 different passwords). When these keys are stored in the device memory they are encrypted with key derived from master password.

When you opened 1st vault, that password became your master password. Both times you have vaults opened, vault cryptographic keys were re-encrypted with master key. This is how you can access both vaults using one password. And you can change it on the device (Settings\Options\Security).

Hope that helps

• zasca
    zasca
    Community Member
    Options

But on the my PC under windows OS I use 2 passwords for 2 my vaults, not 1 masterpass. Does Desktop and mobile apps differ in this case?

• Yes, unlike all other 1Password apps the 1Password for Windows Desktop is not storing your data on device, it's talking directly to the vault folder.

• zasca
    zasca
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply. It has now become clear to me.
    Why is that? Why is not Windows Desktop storing data on device? It's very intresting for me,

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2016
    Options

It's just one of the differences between 1Password 4 for Windows and 1Password on the other supported platforms.

We'll continue working to reduce the differences among the various platforms, to provide a more consistent cross-platform experience while also remaining true to the peculiarities of each platform. (It's a balancing act, as you can imagine! :) )

Thank you for raising the question, @zasca, and for using 1Password!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

By the way, @zasca, you might want to make the switch to Windows 10 as soon as possible, so you can enjoy the latest features of the 1Password beta app. (It runs only on Windows 10; there will be no further development for Windows 8.1 and older versions.)

This discussion has been closed.