How do I synchronize 1password 3.8.22 on my macbook with 1password on my iPhone?

Options

I have had 1password on my Macbook for several years - now I would like to synchronize with my iPhone. Your support pages describe clearly how to do that via Dropbox, but...

When I enter 1password preferences on the MacBook the icon for synchronizing does not appear in the menu. Do I have to upgrade the program, or ???

If so - how do I do that?
Thanks in advance for helping me,
Karoline

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Karolinelaw,

Just to let you know I've moved your query to the legacy section where we have a part of the forums dedicated to 1Password 3 for Mac.

Can we ask, what version of OS X are you running?

• If you're running El Capitan or Yosemite (OS X 10.11 & 10.10) then you could upgrade to 1Password 6 for Mac and if you're considering upgrading to El Capitan then you will probably want to seriously consider this as 1Password 3 for Mac is quite old now.
    • If you're running Mavericks or Mountain Lion (OS X 10.9 & 10.8) then you could consider upgrading to 1Password 4 for Mac. A licence purchased now would technically be for 1Password 6 but it would allow you to run 1Password 4 and at any point upgrade to 1Password 6 (as that's what your licence is for).

I'm not sure the case with 1Password 4 for Mac is as compelling as if you can move to 1Password 6 and if you're running something older than Mountain Lion then you're already running the last version of 1Password for Mac that is compatible with your version of OS X.

If it turns out you need to stay with 1Password 3 for Mac then you can still synchronise 1Password 3 for Mac with your 1Password for iOS. You won't be setting up a synchronisation container, instead you'll be moving the 1Password's Agile Keychain to Dropbox. This link will show you how to move the Agile Keychain to Dropbox as since we first created 1Password 3 for Mac something has changed and the last time I checked 1Password 3 wasn't recognising that Dropbox was running. The steps detailed there though will allow you to move your Agile Keychain to Dropbox which is the equivalent of setting up sync in 1Password 6.

If you're running Yosemite or El Capitan though I would recommend checking out this thread, 1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X as it covers some of the changes that have happened since we last worked on 1Password 3 for Mac and what the changes in the main browsers and OS X mean to this venerable piece of software.

• Karolinelaw
    Karolinelaw
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Thnks a lot - I've solved my problems now :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of lil bobby, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.