Import data from LastPass into 1Password

Options
wildeco
wildeco
Community Member

In last pass when I export a tab opens and I just see all my stuff in pain text?? It does not ask me to save as a .csv file?? Help please
Johnny Wilde

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:import-lastpass, kb:import, kb:import-lastpass

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@wildeco,

I'd recommend you use the lastpass converter included in the converter suite. Follow the instructions in the first post, and then in the README file included in the download. The README gives you step-by-step instructions.

• Hi @wildeco ,

It appears LastPass is choosing to display the file instead of downloading. I have two suggestions for this. Try the first, if that doesn't work, try the other.
    1. Hold down the option key when exporting. Instead of opening a tab, it should download the page.
    2. If that doesn't work, when you see the plain text, go to the File menu in Safari and choose Save As…. When the window appears, set the format in the popup menu to "Page Source" and save the file as "lastpass.csv" or similar.

Then you should be able to import the file into 1Password. If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Thank you so much for using 1Password. We really appreciate it!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• wildeco
    wildeco
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Kevin. I tried your first option and it did not work. On your second option save as option is grayed out and not clickable?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wildeco

Sorry to hear you're hitting stumbling blocks with this. If you followed @MrC's advice above, you'll see in his instructions that he says on some installs, this will happen (LP simply opening a browser window with text). Here's a re-print of his instructions for how to navigate around that to get a usable file for import:

In some cases, the LastPass exported data will open in a separate browser window, showing the contents of your LastPass data. If this happens, select all of the data on the page (Cmd-A) and Copy it (Cmd-C). Open TextEdit, and go to the menu TextEdit > Preferences. In the New Document tab, under Format, select Plain Text and close that dialog. Open a new document (Cmd-N). Paste your data now (Cmd-V), and save it to your Desktop with the file name pm_export.txt and selecting Unicode (UTF-8) as the Plain Text Encoding.

If you follow those instructions, the end result should be .1pif file ready for import into 1Password. Just open the File menu in 1Password and choose Import, then follow the prompts to get to the correct data file you exported from LastPass and converted. That should get you all squared away. Let us know how it works for you!

This discussion has been closed.