Where is the file 1Password.agilekeychain located?

Options
dickvink
dickvink
Community Member

I’m a very happy 1Password 6 user, running on an iMac with El Capitan. Having purchased 1Password directly from AgileBits, I was happy to see that I can now sync my 1Password via iCloud to my MacBook, iPhone and iPads. This syncing works flawless! Thank you for making this happen.
Before syncing via iCloud, I had synced via DropBox, and then WiFi.

I ran into a problem though when I was trying to create a copy of “1Password.agilekeychain”, so I could store it on a USB chip for safe-keeping
Where is the master file “1Password.agilekeychain”? When I search my disk, it shows only 1 file with the name “1Password.agilekeychain”. This file resides in the folder Documents/1Password and the file has December 20, 2015 as the date for both Last Opened, and Modified. I made changes to the file today (January 30, 2016), so I thought that this could not be the master file.

I opened 1Password Preferences/Backup. I clicked on Find Backup and the result is the same as the above search: It shows my folder Documents/1Password and the file has December 20, 2015 as the date for both Last Opened and Modified.
In the same 1Password Preferences/Backup, I clicked on “Show Files”. Finder is opened and shows in Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups a folder 1Password 2016-01-30 13_18_26, as well as a file 1Password 2016-01-30 13_18_26 (1 profiles, 354 items, 2 folders, 3 attachments).1p4_zip. I assume I would use this file if I need to restore?

One more question: Should I be concerned that the backups are in the folder named 1Password4 (Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups), because I’m using 1Password6?

Thank you for your help!

PS: I state below "extension 4.5.2, but had an earlier version 4.x.x (4.2.5(?). I upgraded while I was looking in Safary for the extension version I had actually installed

1Password Version: 6.01
Extension Version: 4.5.2
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:location of masterfile in 1Password6

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@dickvink:

I ran into a problem though when I was trying to create a copy of “1Password.agilekeychain”, so I could store it on a USB chip for safe-keeping

The easiest way to do that is to set up folder sync—this excerpt from the user guide will help you:

Folder Sync

Should I be concerned that the backups are in the folder named 1Password4 (Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups), because I’m using 1Password6?

No, don't worry about that—it's a pure technicality. AgileBits has not changed the folder names used by 1P since 1P4.

If you still need to know where 1P6 stores its files take a look at this knowledge base article:

Where does 1Password store its data?

Stephen

• dickvink
    dickvink
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much Stephen. I'll do the folder sync after I read more about it in the user guide tomorrow. Am I correct that the file "1Password.agilekeychain" currently on my iMac disk is a left-over from when I used to sync via Dropbox?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@dickvink:

Am I correct that the file "1Password.agilekeychain" currently on my iMac disk is a left-over from when I used to sync via Dropbox?

I suspect that may well be the case.

Stephen

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@dickvink

Keep the keychain safe. Due to how OS X works, once the container is created you will not always see the date change.

When looking at one of my opvaults (keychain), I see this

The created date is 11/2014, modified is 10/2/2015 -- However, if I look inside the keychain at the contents you will see a later date of 10/24/2015. The last date is correct as this is my sons keychain and his data is not changed since 10/24/2015.

An issue with OS X is it doesn't always change the modified date of the container files. You can right click on the keychain and select show package contents to see the smaller files. Showing those files will allow you to see other dates the data was modified. The keychain is basically a fancy folder.

• Please be careful not to modify any of the files inside the keychain. Those files are your data.
  • dickvink
    dickvink
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you thightower. I'm trying to get a better understanding of 1Password and your comment, as well as Stephen_C's help me much in getting there faster!

• Hi dickvink,

Glad to see thightower was able to assist you. If you have further questions, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.