In "All Vaults", in "Organize", tags appear, but no folders

Options
jonathanmorgan
jonathanmorgan
Community Member

I have a mix of folders and tags to organize my 800 or so logins (803). My wife's vault uses only tags. When I have both of our vaults connected in 1Password for iOS, and when I have them both included in "All Vaults", in "All Vaults" when I go to the "Organize" section of the app, the unified list of tags appears, but not the folders. When I just go to my vault, I see folders and tags. Is there a way to see folders in "All Vaults"?

I have a complicated enough set of logins that I either need hierarchically structured folders or a way to search that lets me filter within search on sets of tags (tags "research" + "MSU" + "django" + "sourcenet", for example, then look for a login with username of "jonathanmorgan" - I probably have 50 different usernames that are "jonathanmorgan" for different servers and other sites).

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: iOS 9.2.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Good afternoon, @jonathanmorgan. Thank you so much for taking the time to write in. I truly do appreciate the feedback. Let me start by answering your question, and then I will go into some of the decisions behind it and what our plans are going forward.

In short, no, there is currently no way to see folders while in All Vaults.

What we discovered while designing the Organize list for All Vaults was that while tags lend themselves well to that list, our current implementation of folders does not. For instance, we weren’t sure of the best way to handle nested folders across different vaults. Conceptually the decision seems obvious: we should just combine the hierarchies. However, at the code level it just wasn’t that simple.

We’ve been on our company retreat this week and our implementation of folders did come up in conversation. We need to fix this for customers like yourself. While I can’t offer up a timeline for when this might be fixed please know that we are thinking about it.

• jonathanmorgan
    jonathanmorgan
    Community Member
    Options

Glad to hear you are at least trying to figure something out. As it stands, I just go to the individual vaults when I need the folders. I am not sure what I'd want to see there, but not seeing folders at all is jarring. With all vaults becoming default view when turned on and no folders, I thought the folders had gone away in iOS before I figured out that All vaults was the default view and they were still there in an individual vault.

Maybe just a top-level link to each vault's folder structure, and ability to drill in to any one of them? Or have two tabs within "Organize": "folders" and "tags", and then for a given vault, it is just the vault's folders and tags, but for "All vaults", "tags" is as it is now (though maybe color-coded to tell which vault each comes from or something), "folders" is a root-level link to the folder structure for each vault that has folders?

Interleaving the two hierarchies would effectively be a new joined vault you'd have to maintain, but just linking to each vault's folder structure, either at the top above tags, or in a separate tab, might not be as complicated, and it would make me happy, at least. =)

• jonathanmorgan
    jonathanmorgan
    Community Member
    Options

Also, keep up the good work!

• Paco II
    Paco II
    Community Member
    Options

As the previous poster mentioned, not seeing them at all is jarring. Even if, just within organize, you showed all folders, separated by vault, I wonder if that would be doable code-wise. It breaks from the all vault model slightly, but would be a better user experienced.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks so much for your feedback, @jonathanmorgan and @Paco II! We're definitely looking at ways to improve the way we handle folders for people with multiple vaults.

This discussion has been closed.