1password5 crashes on launch or "Can't connect error message" after most recent El caption update

Options
jbollen
jbollen
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Mac

Just performed an update (El Capitan 10.11.3 (15D21)), when I launch iPassword5 it either crashes, hangs (rotating rainbow), or shows the "Can't connect" error message. I followed your online instructions, restarted the machine and iPassword, entered the xattr statement into my terminal (note I changed it to work for v5), all to no avail.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jbollen,

I'm sorry you're having trouble opening 1Password after the OS X update! I don't know why that would happen, but I'm sure we can help get things working again.

Is there a reason you're using 1Password version 5 on your Mac? If not, it would be better to use 1Password 6 (which is a free upgrade if you have a license for 1Password 4/5 for Mac). If you're using the AgileBits Store version, you won't be able to install the update from within the app itself, but you can try this:

• Go to the Applications folder and drag 1Password 5.app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools).
    • Empty the Trash, then reboot your Mac.
    • After the reboot, download a fresh copy of 1Password 6 from our download site.
    • Once downloaded, unzip the file if necessary and drag 1Password 6.app to the Applications folder.
    • Double-click the new app to open it.

Does it work now, or do you still get the same error? If you get the error again, can you please let us know exactly what it says?Thanks! :)

• jbollen
    jbollen
    Community Member
    Options

I had not attempted to re-install because I was concerned that I'd have to update my license and might lose my password etc.
    However, I just followed your instructions and everything is running fine as far as I can tell. Many thanks!

• That's great to hear, @jbollen. Let us know if there's anything else we can lend a hand with.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.