Renaming "Shared" and "Personal" Vaults?

I am playing around in the Vaults, and noticed the TWO default vaults that are created: "Shared" and "Personal" do not have any obvious manner in which they can be renamed? Is this possible? I would like to rename "Shared" to "Family All" or "Entire Family", and "Personal" renamed to "Greg".

1Password Version: 6.0.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Thank you for trying 1Password for Teams!

It is not possible to rename these special vaults at moment. Our current plan is to allow renaming (or deleting) the "Shared" vault -- we would like to make it similar to any other custom vault that can be created and deleted.

The "Personal" vault we wanted to keep as is. It is a bit different from other vaults -- if we allow renaming it then we are not sure how to refer to this vault in the documentation.

• epavletic
    epavletic
    Community Member

+1 for this; my team is migrating to 1Pass in the coming month and one thing we'd like to do is to rename the shared vault to make it clearer what goes in there (we're having additional vaults for internal tools etc).

• Thanks for the vote @epavletic. I can see how each team might prefer to have things more fit for their internal dialect. Be sure to keep an eye out at the top of this forum for announcements about the latest beta of Teams. There are always new goodies making their way in there. :)

• mdwhatcott
    mdwhatcott
    Community Member

I can see the need to have a consistent name for documentation. That's a good point. I've wanted to rename those vaults because as a member of multiple 1password teams I have multiple Personal and Shared vaults floating around. When using the 1password apps it's difficult to tell which Personal or Shared vault I'm working in without clicking on the pulldown (desktop app) or pull out the sidebar (android). Or, imagine the situation where you have, say, a "Network" vault in your family team and another "Network" vault in your work team. I wouldn't want to accidentally put sensitive values in the wrong team's "Network" vault.

It should be painfully obvious which vault I'm working in. Could the user interface for each app could become more helpful in this regard?

BTW, I'm really enjoying the clean separation and easy organization provided by 1password for teams and families. Thanks!

• @mdwhatcott I'd love to know where we can improve the visibility of the active vault. When you're in the main app on Mac, for example, the active vault's icon and name are displayed in the top left of the screen:

active vault

In 1Password mini, the icon is visible but the name is hidden. You can click the switcher to see the name. The visibility varies on each platform, so I'm curious about which one you're referring to.

• mdwhatcott
    mdwhatcott
    Community Member

Here's what I see:

Without inspecting the actual vault items in detail or clicking the dropdown it's hard to tell which "Personal" vault I'm in (I'm a member of more than 1 team). I suppose my situation is made more difficult because I haven't gone to the trouble of updating the default image/icon of my "Personal" vaults. Yes, I could create/acquire a unique image for each "Personal" vault but it seems like the app could display the team name along with the vault name when not expanded. I'm no designer so I hesitate to even suggest how to render it, but the simplest thing I can think of is just to prefix the selected vault with the team name. So, if the team name is AgileBits then the selected value in the un-expanded vaults dropdown could be rendered like this:

AgileBits: Personal

or

AgileBits: Shared

Or maybe post-fixing would be more subtle:

Personal (AgileBits)

Thoughts?

• @mdwhatcott That is a great point. It's also applicable if people have Teams accounts and Families ones, which is likely to happen at least once in a while. Thanks so much for pointing it out. I've forwarded the feedback to our development team so we can look into making this better. :)

ref: OPM-3876

• mdwhatcott
    mdwhatcott
    Community Member

Thanks for the response @penderworth. Being part of a regular "1Password for Teams" team as well as a "1Password for Families" team matches my situation exactly.

• @mdwhatcott Good to know. I'm sure we can figure out something that helps with that situation. :+1:

• madld
    madld
    Community Member

I left this comment under this discussion earlier today. Instead of it showing up here, it shows up under a discussion I created 48 minutes after writing this comment. (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/65463/please-add-more-options-for-viewing-multiple-vaults-at-once-all-vaults-doesnt-cut-it#latest) Very strange!

I have both a Family and Team account; we either need the ability to rename our Personal vaults or it needs to more prominently display the account to which it is tied. At the very least, the primary vault in Family and Team accounts should be named differently based on the type of account.

In order of preference:
    1) Custom Personal vault names (Possibly add the word "personal" [discretely] underneath the vault name to distinguish it, and "shared" under the shared fault names)
    2) Ability to append custom text to the vault name (ie. "Personal-Home", "Personal-Work")
    3) Integrate the (short) Family or Team name into the vault name (ie. "Smith: Personal", "Smith&Sons: Personal")
    4) Create standard but unique primary vault names (ie. primary vault in Family accounts is "Personal", primary vault in Team accounts is "Business")
    5) Something else that properly fixes this highly annoying UX oversight!

I was also going to say that we need the ability to rename the "Shared" vault in Team accounts BUT I just realized you can basically get rid of the un-renamable "Shared" Team vault... just remove all team members and administrators, then remove all permissions for the owner to view the vault. The vault will still appear on the web version, but it will disappear from the apps.

• @madld I explained the whole merging thing in your other thread. Sorry about that!

I have both a Family and Team account; we either need the ability to rename our Personal vaults or it needs to more prominently display the account to which it is tied. At the very least, the primary vault in Family and Team accounts should be named differently based on the type of account.

I do agree with you here. This will be a somewhat common scenario, and there needs to be a way to distinguish between the accounts. Thankfully, the account headers in the vault switching menu help. Rather than letting you rename the vault, it would be even better to integrate the team or family name in the switching menu somewhere once a second account has been added to the app. :)

• knzconnor
    knzconnor
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

Any update? It's still quite confusing and annoying in the app to have multiple accounts and not be able to rename the "Personal" vaults. I think locking your users out from making the app easier to use due to not being able to figure out how you want to refer to it in the documentation is possibly a maddeningly counter-product and un-userfriendly decision? "The Personal vault*" *if you have renamed this, you should obviously understand that it's, shocking, renamed.

Sorry for the snarky tone. It's just frustrating to read proof that it's an issue you already knew about for months and chose to literally lock out and make more the UX less friendly. <3

• @knzconnor Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting. :) I agree we can do this better. The solution is actually not to rename the Personal vault, though, it's to better distinguish between Personal and Shared vaults when multiple accounts are in the apps. That's a design challenge that we're planning to look into in the future. I appreciate you taking the time to post about it, and I've let the team know about your interest.

• Baunepat
    Baunepat
    Community Member

This is really important to make good use of your solution! I was very happy to use it for my Family so I implemented it for my Company but now it is confusing. All users with two groups (you certainly would like this to become very common) will find this a real pain.

• Thank you for the feedback! I'll let the team know there's some new interest in this. :)

• max_1password
    max_1password
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

I support adding this feature, too. I also have a team account and trying a personal trial and am concerned about the workspace name (I don't know what to call it) is always 'personal' in both accounts. I really don't want to accidentally save my "personal personal" credential to "work personal" vault. This does need to be addressed in my opinion. How about make team account's "personal" vault name into something else as most of time team account's current "personal" vault should not have "real personal" credentials?

• jryan
    jryan
    Community Member

+1 for this from here as well. It is very confusing to have a vault labelled Personal when it is absolutely NOT where I should store my actual Personal accounts, credit card numbers, etc. It's a Private Team vault and should be named in a way that distinguishes it from my Personal vault.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

Hi

How about standardising across platforms. As of now, 1Password for iOS can't rename its primary vault from within iOS. I don't know if it would be wise to rename Personal to Primary?

I have never renamed the primary vault name

• Thanks folks! We can do better here and there are some good ideas in this thread for it. I'll send them along to the team.

@wkleem

How about standardising across platforms. As of now, 1Password for iOS can't rename its primary vault from within iOS. I don't know if it would be wise to rename Personal to Primary?

This is a bit different from the topic of this thread. Renaming the Personal or Shared vault within the account and changing their appearance in the app have separate scopes. We're considering each, but the Personal vault is likely going to stay the same in the account itself to distinguish it from others.

• art_llamas
    art_llamas
    Community Member

We also love 1Password, but tend to be frustrated with the ability to change the name of the actual Vault. Is there any progress to changing this feature?

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

@art_llamas Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting. :)

As Jacob posted earlier we agree: we can do this better. The solution to better distinguish between Personal and Shared vaults when multiple accounts are in the apps is still our preferred way to solve this, and we're planning to look into it in the future. I appreciate you taking the time to post, and I've let the team know about your feedback.

• larzmac
    larzmac
    Community Member

If a vault rename is too difficult to sync, how about an ability to rename vaults locally? I'd have to/want to change the names in each app, but I'd still appreciate the little customization.

• Hi @larzmac - You can rename any vault associated to your 1Password.com account except for the Personal vault. This can only be completed from the web app at the moment. When you log into your 1Password.com account, click on the "pencil icon" to edit the name and the changes should sync over to the apps. We're working on adding more options to manage this locally within the apps so I appreciate the feedback. I don't have a timeline to provide you with at the moment but it's definitely something we're looking into :smile: I hope this helped a bit. Keep me posted if you have any additional questions.

This discussion has been closed.