Not syncing across devices. And I have two 1Password folders

Options

I use 1Password on MacBook, PC Windows 10 and iPhone.

A week ago my Mac upgrade to El Capitain failed and I had to wipe the hard drive and re-install Maverick. I noticed that some of my 1P passwords disappeared from the app. Don't know why but they definitely disappeared.

Today, after trouble with Yahoo webmail I reset my Yahoo password and loaded it into Mac 1P. It didn't sync to my iPhone or PC.

On my PC (and I think it could be the same on my Mac, which is at home right now so I'm not sure), I can see what may be the cause. In Dropbox I have what looks to be the same folder in two places:

(1) Dropbox/1Passwordagilekeychain/data/default
(2) Dropbox/1Password/1Passwordagilechain/data/default

Is one of these folders superfluous?

When I create a test login in the Dropbox app on the PC it produces a file in (1) above but not (2).

I've gone through your 'https://support.1password.com/dropbox-troubleshooting/#verify-dropbox-setup-and-requirements' page but you don't explain how to do a couple of the checks. Specifically, you say "Are all your devices accessing the same Dropbox folder?" but give no instructions at all as to how to be sure.

I'd guess that my devices are not syncing to the same folder (though Dropbox itself is working fine) but how do I fix it? Do I delete (1) or (2) above? If so, which one? Or copy the data from one of the 'default' folders into the other? But will I then get a load of conflicted passwords? Or will I lose a load of passwords too?

Thanks
Phil

1Password Version: 4.6.0.598
Extension Version: 4.5.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:dropbox-troubleshooting, kb:diagnostics, kb:dropbox-troubleshooting

Comments

• Hi @sproxton,

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your Mac.

Is one of these folders superfluous?

Yes, you should only be seeing one folder if you're only using one vault. That could explain what happened to your data when you reinstalled Mavericks, the folder you were using prior to reinstalling Mavericks is not the one that 1Password just opened for you.

You should be able to confirm this by opening the #2 vault. To do this on your PC;

1. Open the main 1Password program and go to the File Menu > Open 1Password Vault
    2. Select the Dropbox > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain folder. (Do not select data/default)

Now, unlock and see if you can find the data that you were looking for before.

If yes, what we can do is copy over the recently updated ones to the other one or vis versa if we can figure out what the 1Password on the iPhone is syncing to. Here's how to find out which folder:

1. Open 1Password on the iPhone, unlock and tap on Settings on the bottom
    2. Tap on Sync and then Sync service with Dropbox
    3. It should show you the path below Dropbox now, saying something like /1Password.agilekeychain or /1Password/1Password.agilekeychain.

Tell me here which folder. We'll use that folder to move the data from the other folder and then we can archive the superfluous one.

• sproxton
    sproxton
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike

OK, I've gone through your instructions and have established the following:

The PC and iPhone are both syncing to Dropbox>1Passwordagilekeychain. When I create a new 1PW login with those devices, that's where it goes.

However, on the Mac, new items are being created in Dropbox>1Password>1Passwordagilekeychain.

The one I want to keep is the PC/iPhone vault (Dropbox>1Passwordagilekeychain) and that's where I've found logins that disappeared after the Mac crash.

Thank you.

Once you have archived the unwanted one, should I delete the Dropbox>1Password folder?

Phil

• Hi @sproxton,

Archiving means to move the vault to your backup drive rather than deleting it, we rarely recommend deleting anything because you might need it again in the future. If not, you can delete it after making sure everything looks good.

Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report on the Mac only. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+forum@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• sproxton
    sproxton
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike
    I have now sent the diagnostic report as requested. Thanks.
    Phil

• sproxton
    sproxton
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi Mike
    I have now sent the diagnostic report as requested. Thanks.
    Phil

ref: AZA-49328-285

• sproxton
    sproxton
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, can you update me please on the issue above? Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sproxton: Thanks! I see that Eva has replied via email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll get this sorted out for you! :)

• sproxton
    sproxton
    Community Member
    Options

I haven't had any email from Eva or from anyone. Would just like to know when this is resolved, thanks.

• sproxton
    sproxton
    Community Member
    Options

Hey guys, can we get a move on here? I had good initial response and now it's all gone quiet. I have sent the diagnostics report but heard nothing since. I need to get my Mac onto the same vault as my PC and iPhone. ASAP please.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sproxton: As I mentioned in my previous post, Eva replied to you (two days ago now). I've just resent her instructions via email. Be sure to check that you've received it (spam folder?) It will be difficult to communicate if you're not able to for some reason. :(

• sproxton
    sproxton
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty. My apologies, Eva's email was indeed in my junk folder. I have enacted the instructions and my devices are now syncing with each other. I've asked Eva in the email what I do with the old folder. Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sproxton: No need to apologize! Some mismarked mail is much better than missing entirely. ;)

I'm pretty sure that Eva is sound asleep at this hour (hopefully!) so I'll jump in there and double check that for you. Thanks again for following up! :pirate:

This discussion has been closed.