Browser filling [already available]

ntimo
ntimo
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello,
what about support for Browser filling on Windows 10? So I can use the new Windows 10 App with my Teams Vault. Instead of my dropbox vault. But the Windows 10 app would be very much useless without the browser filling.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @ntimo,

I've moved your thread to our Windows 10 Beta forum since this is regarding to the Windows 10 app and not our desktop program.

At the moment, this is not yet possible with our new Windows 10 app but it is something we want to add in the future.

For now, we have added our own 1Browser that will do the filling within the app using Edge as our internal engine.

We are working on adding 1Password for Teams support to our regular desktop program that will support browser extensions but we don't have a timeframe on when this will be released yet, we will release more details as soon as we can.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@ntimo, thanks for contacting us!

The current beta app does include "go&fill" functionality, using the internal browser. Extensions like you've used in 1Password 4 for Windows or 1Password for Mac may or may not become possible in future builds, depending in part on what Microsoft allows in Windows 10 inter-app communication. Microsoft has given us some hope of being able to work with Edge directly, but I have no information about when or whether that kind of "extension" might become available.

Thanks for letting us know your preferences, @ntimo!

• Didiko
    Didiko
    Community Member

Hello,

could you please explain how exactly this feature (go and fill) is supposed to work within the app.

Many thanks in advance

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Didiko!

To fill from the app, go to any login item (with a url field) and click on the browser button in the bottom right corner of the page

The app will then launch the 1Browser (an in-app browser) with your login credentials filled in automatically.

At the moment, filling only works with login items, but we are working towards adding go-fill support to other item types soon.

Hope this helps

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016
    Select a Login item,
    and tap the globe...

...to launch the browser,
    and fill in the login form!

• Didiko
    Didiko
    Community Member

Answer is "we were unable to complete password or login fields" : report issue or hide

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@Didiko, that doesn't look like one of the messages we display.

Can you post a screen shot, please?

Thanks!

• Didiko
    Didiko
    Community Member

There you go

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks again, @Didiko!

It is, in fact, a message from us. :/ Dev is looking into it, now.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016

@Didiko, we've just observed similar behavior at that URL in 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows: the username field was filled but not the password field. That tells us the problem is not unique to the beta app.

Sometimes a web site's login page is coded in such a way that it defeats our field-filling mechanism. We'll look into it, to see whether there's some way to improve our success rate with that kind of page. Thank you for bringing this to our attention! I'm sorry I don't have a more satisfying answer at this time.

What you can do, for now, is copy the password before tapping or clicking the Browse icon, so you're able to paste it into the login form and then submit the form manually. We apologize for the inconvenience.

• GoShawn
    GoShawn
    Community Member

Technically, the in app browser is a work around to to what users are asking for. I know your limited to what you can do based on the OS and browser capabilities MS is giving you.

Can we change the title of this post to reflect "work around" vs. "Already available"?

I interpreted it as a working feature with 1PW mini (as a example), but that's not really the case.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2016

Thanks for the suggestion, @GoShawn, but browser filling is already available, albeit only in the built-in browser, as explained above.

We'll continue pursuing ways to integrate with other browsers as restrictions are relaxed.

Thank you for using 1Password!

• Ordan77
    Ordan77
    Community Member

I wish I'd seen this before signing up for your new 1Password for Families service and moved all of my passwords into the service.

I'm Sight Impaired, so use 1Password on my iOS, OSX and Windows devices not only for security, but accessibility. Your built-in browser is most definitely not suitable for that purpose (and yes, I know it's not designed for that purpose!) ... but not being able to auto-fill passwords in Chrome has effectively crippled my use of 1Password on Windows 10 - forcing me to use key online services in OSX only!

You really do either need to provide a way to fill in passwords in real browsers, or you need to back-port Team / Family sign-in to your 1Password 4 Desktop product.

Having paid (a significant sum) for your apps across three platforms, I'm very disappointed in your lack of customer focus regarding this issue!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@Ordan77, I've asked for some assistance in responding to your great points. You deserve the best answer possible!

Thanks for your patience.

• @Ordan77 I understand your disappointment, I guess everyone else is expecting browser extensions to just work too. I won't waste your time telling fun development stories on how it is technically complicated or sometimes impossible to integrate from a sandboxed app. I'll say that there is work being done to enable 1Password for Teams and 1Password for Families extensions on Windows 7+. And that there are some ideas on how we can enable it with Windows 10 app.

This discussion has been closed.