Syncing Personal Vaults with 1PW for Teams

Options

I'm sure this is on your roadmap but I wanted to bring up a vote for it.

If (and we're planning on it) I switch our company over to 1PW for Teams, then that means that the only remaining vaults are going to be personal and they're the only ones which will be forced to be synced with Dropbox. I trust you all, I'm not so keen on Dropbox. And even though you all have everything encrypted, I'd prefer a secure and reliable realtime syncing solution (of which I'm assuming 1PW for Teams is ;)).

I'd love the ability to have a "team" that I could sign up for for free which doesn't allow any users added (other than myself), but allows me to sync multiple vaults across multiple devices.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@cobaltjacket there's already Wifi, which, if you're interested enough, can be made to sync via a VPN with your home network.

Having personal "teams" would be a lot less work for the Agilebits team and a lot more useful to more people.

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@cobaltjacket I agree on all points. :)

As far as personal syncing, I really don't think it would be that much overhead. Vaults are super small and the incremental syncing is even small still. I think giving that out of the box to users who've paid for the full version of the Mac app, or the iOS app (or both?) would be well within the realm of do-ability. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfelchner: I can't say one way or the other exactly how we'll be handling 1Password for Teams for Individuals (except that it probably wouldn't be called that), but these are some interesting idea. Right now our focus is making it awesome for companies, but down the road families and individuals will, as you point out, probably need to be handled differently — not only with pricing, but also scale and a features better suited to different situations.

Thanks so much for the feedback, and be sure to let us know if you have any other thoughts. It's still an early beta so there's plenty of opportunity to have your voices be heard! :)

• kevm
    kevm
    Community Member
    Options

So am I reading that 1password for teams is not supported for Windows 7?. I just got a teams account and want to me able to import my individual account vault but it does not appear this is possible. Is this true?

• Welcome to our forums, @kevm!

You're right, at this moment, 1Password for Teams does not have a native app for Windows 7. It is something we hope to have available in the relatively near future. For now I recommend you stick with the standard 1Password for Windows setup. You also could use the web client on Windows as well.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this exact moment, but I'll be announcing something soon I hope :)

As for @jfelchner's original question, I thought it would be fun to give a bit of an update on that. As I talked about in my recent Staying Organized with 1Password for Teams blog post, myself and many others are already using 1Password for Teams in a family setting. In a few weeks from now I hope to announce more details on the Family side of things. That gets us closer to the "for individuals" idea that @jfelchner is asking for, and it's certainly something I would like to see happen over the long term. Of course, I'm just not sure when :) Until then, you can simply set up a team of one, but I understand that it's not ideal.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

And also note that having a team of more than one allows you to take advantage of recovery features, which is something 1Password for Teams offers that the standalone 1Password app can't. That's a whole 'nother kind of security!

Even if we don't want to share everything with our 'teammates', I think most of us have some good people in our lives who we can trust to help get us out of a jam now and then -- in this case using the recovery group. Maybe instead of "1Password for Individuals" we can have "1Password for Friends". ;)

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty agreed! I mean personally my lowest bar is getting rid of Dropbox sync. But honestly I'd love a super cheap team that I can use with my family.

Maybe give users who've purchased a license one personal and one shared vault per license? So if there are three users with three purchased licenses they'd each have one personal vault and three total shared vaults to be used across the team. Even if those licenses were purchased for business use, that'd still be sustainable and users who have businesses would likely upgrade to the monthly plan since the 1/1 vault limit would be too strict for them.

I think it's obvious that businesses should pay for teams. They're (we're) making money on the security that 1Password provides, but honestly in my personal life, the last thing I need is yet another recurring charge. I've been trying to eliminate as many of them as possible.

Just some thoughts from a user to get the brainstorming juices movin. :)

• rob
    Options

@jfelchner we don't want to put restrictions on the number of vaults someone can create. If you purchase a license now, you can make as many local vaults as you want. It would be weird to lock that down if they decide to switch to Teams. Maybe that will be part of a certain tier, I'm not sure, but I think we'd prefer it not be.

The subscription model is the only way to go with Teams, though. It's a hosted service that costs a lot of money to run. Now obviously we'll do right by our customers who have recently purchased a license, but that would have to be more like an account credit or "X free months" than a lifetime "subscription" that limits them to two vaults.

But really, 1Password for Teams brings beauty to the dark, hideous world of licensing. Customers will no longer have to parse a confusing list of instructions for purchasing 1Password on four different platforms; there will be no license keys to be lost; and best of all, they can finally pay just per user, rather than per user per platform.

Besides that, I think you'll be more than happy with our family pricing when we are able to announce it. We love families and want to make sure we can offer them a great deal. :)

• jfelchner
    jfelchner
    Community Member
    Options

@rob sounds good! For the record I didn't mean "purchase a license and limit local vaults", I mean "purchase a license and limit vaults that can sync to your family 'team'"

Looking forward to hearing what you all have in store! :D

• rob
    Options

Yes, I understood you to mean that, I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my reply. Thanks for the support, @jfelchner! :)

This discussion has been closed.