Import from Wallet 4X [Converter Available]

Options
masc
masc
Community Member
edited February 2016 in Mac

Hi
After Susembly stopped support for their wallet family, i want to switch to 1Password. Before i need to know, if i can import my data from wallet 4X.
Thanks

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi @masc,

Does Wallet 4X support exporting your data to an non-encrypted (plain text) format?

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrC.
    I think so. HTML and csv.

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    Options

This means that it is possible?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@masc,

I'm not sure yet. I'll have to take a look at the export first. I think this is a pay only app, so I'll have to check when I'm back in my office later today.

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @masc,

You're in good hands here, as @MrC is quite an expert when it comes to importing data from other apps into 1Password. I'm sure you'll be hearing from him soon - hopefully with some good news. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@masc,

Is German the only language for Wallet 4X?

The converters I create generally target English as the primary language, but some support localized languages. The lookup-tables I use internally are all in English, and I generally want to keep things that way. So if this is a German-only password management program, it will be a little unique. A converter will work fine, but since German is not a language I speak, I'll struggle a bit to understand all the terms used for the categories, fields, export directions, etc.

Also, are you able to export only a subset of records? For example, if I have you create some sample data for me, can you do that, only exporting the samples (and not your private data)? I won't want you to edit the data with an editor, since that may alter the internal format.

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC,
    it could be possible that Wallet 4X supports only German language and I don't know if there is also an English version.
    Sure I can export some sample data for you! What sample data you need?
    Thank you very much for your help!

And sorry for my English...

@Drew_AG
    Good to hear :-)

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    Options

Wallet 4i (iOS version of Wallet 4X) supports English.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Options

@masc, it (the iOS version) would have to be able to export as CSV (or other useful format). Can the iOS version do that?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Options

@masc,

Create a couple of records of different types / categories such as the 1Password equivalents of Logins, Secure Notes, and perhaps Credit Cards. Use dummy data. Be sure to use double quotes in some field, such as a password, as well as a comma. Also, in the notes or memo section of an entry, add a multiple line note, and include various Unicode characters such as è, ü, Ę, and æ. Export these records as CSV and send them to me at mike at cappella dot us. You might also send an html export as well.

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC
    No, the iOS version doesn't Support an export...
    You will get the file this evening when i am at home. I hope i understood what to do exactly.
    Only with the double quotes i don't know what you mean.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@masc,

Thanks.

Double quotes: Create entries in the various fields that have both commas (,) and double quotes ("), such as:

Password: super"secret,sauce
    username: joe,the,plumber
    Field 1: an "entry" with quotes
    Notes:  My multiline

notes field that contains Unicode chars:
    è, ü, Ę, and æ. 

These are the characters that need to be properly escaped in CSV exports, and many password managers fail to do so properly.

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC
    I sent you a mail with 4 .csv-files and a html-file.
    I hope this data is OK for you.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@masc,

I have received your files - thanks.

The CSV data is lossy - it does not preserve Unicode characters, turning abcdè!üĘæ into abcd?!???. So the CSV is not a viable option.

The HTML appears to be sufficient.

To be sure, I'll purchase the app and create the test data I need to verify its convertibility.

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC
    May I help you with the test data? So you don't need to purchase the app.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@masc, that's ok. I need to have access to raw data. I usually need to create specific cases to test assumptions.

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC
    Ok. But if you need some help, contact me...

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Options

@masc,

It appears that Subsembly provides a Wallet 4W download for a free 30 day trial, so I am using that to generate test data.

Edit: there is no need to send me additional CSVs. I'm going to parse the HTML, since exporting CSV is too cumbersome; you have to export every folder and subfolder.

But if you can, please tell me the templates you have in use. There are about 20 or so in the program, and I'll implement the ones you use first so that I can get your data converted as quickly as possible.

In it, I discover that you can both set the delimiter (which defaults to semicolon), and the encoding (which on Windows defaults to Windows-1252). Can you re-export and email to me the test CSV files you generated for me, with the delimiter set to comma, and the encoding set to UTF-8? See screenshot.
    I believe this should make the CSV lossless and I can use that to verify my test data is similar to your version from the App Store.

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC
    Thats right, the html file is better to export.

What do you mean with templates?
    Maybe i understand you right: we are using:
    - account
    - mail accounts
    - cards
    - password

I don't use subfolders.

Thank you very much for your help!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

That's perfect. I'll have a converter done tonight California time

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC
    Wow!!!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @masc,

We're lucky to have MrC here helping out - it's great to see that he's working on something for you! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options

@masc,

I have the converter working with a few limitations:

1. I do not yet have all the categories completed. I have: address, bankacct, creditcard, email, login, software, and notes.
    2. I have only partially localized the converter. I will need your help in localizing the remaining strings. Until the strings are localized, some entries will be mis-categorized as Secure Notes. There is a languages file that you will update with the English to German string names.
    3. I have not yet updated the README file for this converter, specifically the export instructions. You'll want to export your data to HTML, and convert that file.
    4. I have not tested it against the App Store version of Wallet 4X, but rather Wallet 4W (the Windows counterpart). The data should be the same or very close.
    5. Sub-folders are not being captured. Only the top-level folder is captured. There is some ambiguity in the HTML, and I'm not certain I can capture deeper folder levels (the entries are captured, just not the sub-folder hierarchy. Folder names get stored in Tags).

Here's how to start testing the converter.

1. Download the 1.09 version from Testing Bits, as per the directions in the first post of the converter suite thread.
    2. Export your Wallet 4X data as HTML, and follow the instructions in the README.pdf. The converters name is wallet4.
    3. Add the --lang option to the command line, to tell the converter to use German (I believe that's your language). The option you will add will be --lang de.

Your command will look basically like this:

perl convert_to_1p4.pl  wallet4 ~/Desktop/wallet4x_export.html -v  --lang de

Once you've imported the data, examine the records. You'll see some did not make it into the correct category, and you'll find certain fields are in the entry's Notes section. This will most likely be because there are missing translation strings in the file Languages/wallet4.de.txt. Edit that file with a text editor and add the strings, following the format in the file. You need to match the English names found at the top of the file Converters/Wallet4.pm. In the screenshot below, you the English name Password is added to the Languages/wallet4.de.txt as the entry:

"Password" = "Kennwort"

You only need to add entries if an entry is being incorrectly categorized, or if a field that should be placed into a stock 1Password field is going into Notes. The supported stock 1Password fields that are also used by Wallet 4 are shown in the %card_field_specs table.

Here's how my sample data HTML in English looks against your sample HTML export data - you can see the string mappings:

After you add more localization entries, you can re-run the converter. You may want to delete your entries in 1Password, or leave them and compare your before and after.

Once you have a working Languages/wallet4.de.txt file, I'd like to get your updates to add to the converter suite.

Let's take the remainder of this offline - send me an email as we work through the details, since it is easier to work in email than the forums here.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@masc,

I've done more work on the converter to handle all of the stock folder/categories - please wait until I update the 1.09 version in Testing Bits. A Favorites entry or TAN lists will break parsing, and my update will resolve this.

I'll post here when it is ready.

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC
    Wow.
    I hope, i will find some time this weekend (everybody in the family is ill).
    And yes, my motherlanguage is German.
    I will do the translation and send you the file asap.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Options

Hi @masc,

The 1.09 version in Testing Bits has been updated and is ready for you to test. It now supports the folder hierarchy (as tags, and also as folders with the --folder option enabled). The README.pdf has been updated.

Sorry about the delay in this. To support folders properly, I had to rewrite how I was processing the HTML structured data. I'm much happier with it now. :-)

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

@MrC
    Sorry for the delay.
    I sent you an email with the translation I had done yet. But some translation didn't work (see your mail) and I don't know why.

Edit: I forgot to mention, that the bank account is splitted in 1P. Is this normal?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@masc,

I'm really swamped these past two weeks. I'll address this sometime Friday evening, California time. I received your email and will review it.

• masc
    masc
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @MrC
    Is there any progress? I bought 1Password 2 weeks ago and want to convert the data now.

Best regards

This discussion has been closed.